How to fill in WEP Encryption Template in Profiles? (SOLVED)

Booting, installing, newbie
lawquest

How to fill in WEP Encryption Template in Profiles? (SOLVED)

#1 Post by lawquest »

Hi folks,

Could someone post a copy of a template that works with WEP? Or with some explanation of the various fields in the Template?

I might be able to figure it out if I saw how someone else did it?

Hate to keep bothering the forum. It may be some justification that I am a adult advisor of a Lions Club youth group. We have 10 of the kids now a) with computers, b) with wireless cards and c) with Puppy (most are using 2.10).. If all goes as planned, we should have hundreds of kids up and running Puppy in the Reno area within the next few months. I received my first email from one of them last night! I am not a techie in any sense, but have used SuSE (only) for several years. Still, I need some help occasionally with Puppy. Kids are having lots of problems as you might expect, with one big plus.....none of them have had computers at home before....so I don't hear how they did it in Windows. Far as they know and I believe, Puppy will give them all they could possilby need to do their schoolwork and have lots of fun.

John
Last edited by lawquest on Mon 09 Oct 2006, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.

lawquest

#2 Post by lawquest »

Come on, Guys,

Could I please get a response? I get on the internet fine, when the network is not encrypted. But if WEP is turned on, I am not able to get online. Whatever clues you might have, even it no formal template, would be most appreciated.

I would venture to guess that almost all wireless networks are encrypted. I have viewed the newbies' video, but that doesn't solve my problem.

John

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

I set up my old network before there was a fancy gui thing, so I don't know how they work.

What you probably need to do is get the hexadecimal form of your key (looks like: "A3425FD987A79791401E69672D54957061998C", but the length depends on whether it's 64-bit or 128-bit). Then put that into the "key" field of the gui-thing you use. You might need to specify the type of encryption it uses (64-bit or 128-bit wep). Otherwise, that should be the only difference between encrypted and unencrypted.

From what was posted on the other thread, it may be necissary to change the router to take the hexadecimal key rather than an ascii key.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

lawquest

#4 Post by lawquest »

Thanks Pizzasgood!

I certainly appreciate that you figured all this out long ago (wish I had) and don't at all quarrel with your suggestion that the gui way of doing things is less than perfect. But I am a 62 year old lawyer trying to help our Lions club get poor kids some kind of internet access from their homes. We have so far delivered 10 computers to these kids, all running Puppy. 7 of them have wireless cards that work fine without encryption. However, of those 7, 5 are in an area where they need to get on an encrypted newwork. And I have no clue how to help them (nor, so far, do any of their neighbors).

The Puppy 2.10 "Template" for all this is as follows:

TITLE 2="template"
IP="192.168.0.3"
GATEWAY=""
ESSID="hot spot"
NWID=""
KEY=""
MODE="Managed"
FREQ="1.437G"
AP_MAC=""

I assume that all or most of these blanks need to be filled in with information specific to the kid's situation. Right now, we have a WEP key for one of them (apparently have to get it from AT&T for the others). And that WEP key is much shorter than the long code you give as an example. I gather perhaps the WEP key calls your long code and inserts it someplace in the above Template. I am not sure what IP in the template means, nor AP_MAC or NWID. MODE is about the only one I am comfortable with.

If anything in this message is something you might enlighten me on in any way, I would appreciate it.

John

Pizzasgood

#5 Post by Pizzasgood »

I certainly appreciate that you figured all this out long ago (wish I had) and don't at all quarrel with your suggestion that the gui way of doing things is less than perfect.
I don't make that suggestion at all. I just meant that I haven't messed with the gui, so I don't know how it works (or if it is indeed less than perfect).

"NWID" would be the "network id"
"IP" is "IP address"
"ESSID" is the network's name
"AP_MAC" I guess is the mac address (don't ask me what that is, never used it)

If that profile otherwise works when it's unencrypted, then the problem is the key. The rest should all be fine.

If you explained in detail what the key you have looks like (range of letters and numbers, length, etc) it may be easier to figure out. A common misconception is that the key is something like "onepotato". That is actually a passphrase. It's often easier to remember a passprase, so many wireless cards/routers can use them instead. What they do is make a normal key based on the phrase you give them. That works fine when both cards are the same brand, but from what I understand the key-generation part isn't always standard, so it's more reliable to use the actual key (which would look like the one I posted, though maybe lower-case (depends on the hardware and software).

See this thread for more info, especially the lower half.
http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic ... y+wireless
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

lawquest

#6 Post by lawquest »

Thanks. I will try it tomorrow night on an encrypted network. I figure if I can get it working on one, I can get it to work on the kids'. I am still not sure if the IP address is that of my machine, or the wireless router. But I know the ESSID and I suspect I can get from that the Network ID.

I bet if I fool around with it long enough I can get it OK. I have all the stuff SuSE needs to get online for the network I am going to try tomorrow, but SuSE uses different terminology. And here at home, on my non-encrypted network, Puppy works better than SuSE.

Most appreciate your comments.

John

Pizzasgood

#7 Post by Pizzasgood »

I think it's your IP, but usually you can use dhpc to assign you a dynamic IP address so that field may not be neccissary. I use the "dhcpcd wlan0" command to get one (preceded by some delete commands to clear old settings out). The gui should have a button that says "enble dhcpc" or something similar. Then again, if the router isn't set to use that or you need specific IP addresses to be used, that may not be a great idea.

lawquest

#8 Post by lawquest »

Hi Pizzasgood,

I am still having trouble. After spending much of yesterday and most of today, I still can't get on the encrypted network. Perhaps I should give up on the Puppy GUI altogether and try your way (command line, I think). It seems to me illogical that I can't get on. I have a standard linksys card on a standard HP laptop and a standard linksys router. Seems to me that just about everyone who uses Puppy needs to get online using encryption, so I am convinced I am doing something stupid. I add the passcode. Nothing. I add the actual hex encruption code. Nothing.I look at the help on the gui. Its outdated. Nothing tells me how, for example, to find the network ID. I looked at the code (gui) on SuSE and it doesn't give a NWID. I have no clue what a Gateway is, but the gui asks for it. Don't need it to get online with an unencrypted network, so makes no sense I would need it now. But I guess I do.

If you have the time and inclination, you might try to show me how you get on from the command line. I presume its iwconfig and a long string after that. When I type iwconfig it shows that I am connected to wlan0, with an ip address and all that, but it shows encryption off and I can't get past that.

John

BlackAdder

#9 Post by BlackAdder »

Sorry to interrupt Pizza, but you are probably studying.
Lawquest, you could try something like this:
Find the SSID, the channel being used (1-14), and the WEP key too (in sexydecimal - 10 digits for WEP 64 bit, 26 digits for WEP 128 bit). All this from your router - login via a web browser and explore.
Then - in a console window:
iwconfig <your w'less device> esssid <your ssid> mode managed channel <your channel> key <your key>
If that works, then you can get an IP address by:
dhcpcd -t 20 -d <your w'less device>
Your router should give you an IP address, without it no-one will want to speak to your Puppy.
Example:

Code: Select all

iwconfig wlan0 essid MYNet mode managed channel 6 key 12345abcdef
dhcpcd -t 20 -d wlan0
The second command should display a MAC address, and - a few seconds later - an IP address.
If that works, you are on the net - go browse.

Probably a silly question lawquest, but your router is using WEP and not WPA isn't it?

zigbert

#10 Post by zigbert »

If using the rutilt utility, it is just to mark the checkbox "ascii key". Then you can write the WEP password in text. That is easy!!!

lawquest

#11 Post by lawquest »

Took a bit of time off to watch the Redskins game. Then back to it.

Blackadder's comments were great but still not online.

Machine took the first line (iwconfig etc) fine.

But the second line (dhcpcd etc) only gave me a MAC address. It did not give me an IP (I was mistaken in my last email saying I got an IP address...what I meant to say was that I got an Access Point.)

So I seem to be stopped at the IP address point. I am going to try rebooting (and typing all that stuff in again) and also, when I find the rutilt utility, trying zigbert's suggestion. I am just typing in the 26 diget WEP key. (Yes, Blackadder, it is WEP according to the wireless router...WEP 128 bits 26 hex digits). I don't know how to type in hex digits.

I am typing this on my SuSE laptop using the same router...SuSE uses a passphrase.. I tried that too in Blackadder's iwconfig line but same result: no IP address.

John

lawquest

#12 Post by lawquest »

Couple of additional notes:

When I rebooted, I typed: "modprobe ndiswrapper" as I normally do. Then I put in Blackadder's iwconfig line and got the following error:

"Error for wireless request 'Set Frequency' (8B04) :"

I then went into the WAG gui (WAG 0.3.2) and not until I attempted to run the template that I have been working on did BlackAdder's iwconfig line work. I still get only a MAC address.

John

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#13 Post by Flash »

lawquest, I wish I could help but I have only tinkered a bit with wireless, and haven't got it to work yet in Linux. My cable connection works fine so it isn't a priority.

May I suggest that you call your wireless ISP's technical help desk? You might get lucky and find someone there who is familiar with Linux. At the least there should be someone who can explain the acronyms. :lol:

Pizzasgood

#14 Post by Pizzasgood »

You might be able to use "key s:mypassphrase" with iwconfig to use the passphrase. You don't need to do anything fancy to type a hexadecimal key, you just type it. Try both all-caps and lower-case. I used all-caps on mine, but you never know.

Rutilt is in the network menu in Puppy 2.10. For earlier versions you'd have to find a dotpup and install it.

For more info about acronyms you can check Puppy's help stuff: [url]file:///usr/share/doc/wireless/iwconfig.htm[/url] (click when running Puppy)

or google "man iwconfig" for an online version.
Last edited by Pizzasgood on Sat 29 Dec 2007, 00:34, edited 1 time in total.

lawquest

#15 Post by lawquest »

Perhaps the following might cause someone to think of something that might help:

Here is what W.A.G. shows:

wireless card active
wireless card not responding

no module loaded
dhcpcd not running
wifi-beta not installed

wlan0 enabled
no IP assigned to wlan0
access point acquired

Connected to:
wlan0 IEE 802.11g ESSID:"linksyscent"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:0F:66:47:F4:5F
Encryption key:off
Link Quality:100/100 Signal level:-64 dBm Noise level:-256 dBm

When I run the template, I get the following:

autoconnect --- no
template -- no
linksyscent --- yes

Connected to:
wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"linksyscent"
etc....(SAME AS ABOVE)

I'm going to open a beer.

John

lawquest

#16 Post by lawquest »

After several beers:

In SuSE, for some reason, to get the wireless to work I occasionally have to type

ifdown eth1
ifup ath0

and sometimes

ifdown lo

Only then, sometimes, will the wireless work. But in puppy, I can't find an "ifup" or an "ifdown" command.

John

BlackAdder

#17 Post by BlackAdder »

lawquest,
This is being posted via a borrowed WG511, but I think it probably has a different chipset to yours. This one shows 1260:3890 as the VID:PID in lspci.
The output of your iwconfig looks a bit odd:
Connected to:
wlan0 IEE 802.11g ESSID:"linksyscent"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:0F:66:47:F4:5F
Encryption key:off
Link Quality:100/100 Signal level:-64 dBm Noise level:-256 dBm
It shows that you appear to be connected to the Router with an ESSID of "linksyscent", but that there is no encryption (Encryption key:off). Usually you will not get connection to a network requiring a key unless you get the right key.
Another silly question - that is your router I guess. :-)
You could try

ifconfig eth1 down
in case there is a conflict.
After that, could you post the result of a straight ifconfig, please?
If you mark an area in the rxvt window, it puts the marked material onto the clipboard, and you can paste from there. In case you did not already know.

lawquest

#18 Post by lawquest »

Hate to keep bothering you folks, but have some very relevant information:

I am typing this on and sending it from an old Omnibook 900 running puppy 2.10 only from the hard drive (just like the one I have been having such trouble with). Just thought I would try it before hitting the sack.

1. Typed in on boot: modprobe ndiswrapper
2. Did BlackAdder's command line thing
3. Took BlackAdder's first (iwconfig) string fine.
4. Blew up at BlackAdder's second (dhcpcd) string (said dhcpcd was probably already running)
5. Went to Retulit utility on Network
6. Set up new profile using same info that didn't work before.
7. Put in the long code

It worked. As you can see if you get this.

Only thing I can think of is that the little wireless card in the side of the machine is slightly different in this machine from the one I was using today and yesterday. And this machine is not as powerful (its a pentium II vs a pentium III).

Anyway, I will fool around with this next week. Must give the little machine I am using now back tomorrow.

Thanks to all. So much. I must now write my girlfriend whom I have ignored all weekend and tell her I have seen the light. Sort of.

John

BlackAdder

#19 Post by BlackAdder »

John,
Glad that you finally achieved a breakthrough.
You could get rid of that error message by issuing the following command before the dhcpcd:

rm /etc/dhcpc/*.pid
The error is caused because little process id files can be left behind, making Puppy think that dhcp is already running
Once you are confident about the commands, they can either be made into a script to be run when you want, or added to the file /etc/rc.d/rc.local

lawquest

#20 Post by lawquest »

Is there a way I can mark this thread solved?

This morning, I took out the wireless PCMCIA card out of the Omnibook 900 Pentium II, which, as I posted last night (I think) worked and put it into the Omnibook 900 Pentium III which I had been trying to get to work (online) for the past several days. The new card worked fine and I am writing and posting this with the Pentium III Omnibook.

Thanks so much to you all. I could not have solved this withoutyou.

For those interested, the wireless card that won't work is a

Linksys Wireless-g 2.4 Ghz (WPC54G) ver 4, running driver wlipnds.

The one that works great (I am on with nothing more than BlackAdder's two command lines) is a

Linksys Wireless-g 2.4 Ghz with Speed Booster (WPC54GS) ver 1, running driver lsbcmnds.

I may have to write again, as the kids' are box machines using PCI (I think) cards. But I think I have learned enough here to get them online.

Thanks again.

John