FlowBlade 1.12 install on Bionic

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
n01ze

FlowBlade 1.12 install on Bionic

#1 Post by n01ze »

FlowBlade installs yet doesn't start on BionicPup32 8.0.
All of the missing dependencies have been installed...
Does someone have any hints what could be preventing it from starting?
FlowBlade shows up in the Multimedia menu.
OpenShot & Avidemux are also acting the same way on installs.
Clicking on menu item does nothing...
Any input/feedback is appreciated.

perdido

#2 Post by perdido »

Is the .devx installed? The .devx supplies the developement libraries and has to be manually added.

get it from this directory http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... onicpup32/

There are also two other packages listed there that should be installed if you do compiling, the kernel sources and the kernel headers.

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

How are you actually doing the installs?
You do what?
You see what?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

n01ze

#4 Post by n01ze »

The Installs are mostly being conducted via Bionic PPM...
along with Pets&sfs for building AV puppy system.
This is new "project" for me...
My linux skills are extremely rusty, thus it's time attempting relearning.
Thus far managed getting LMMS,Hydrogen,Jack,& Audacity operational on Bionic. Getting some basic video editor is my next step.
Thanks for the fast forum responses.

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

FlowBlade installs yet doesn't start on BionicPup32 8.0.
If you want help on this specific software.
Need specific info about exactly what you are doing.
You do what?
You see what?
YaPI(any iso installer)

n01ze

#6 Post by n01ze »

Installed FlowBlade 1.12 from SFS...
it shows up in multimedia menu...
yet like any other video editor on my bionic...
it does nothing when click on the icon in menu.
obviously something is missing
not sure where to look for any type of build log on run...
It may be wire for now if just avoid video editing on bionic for now.
It is far lower priority than some other issues encountered.
Puppy is new for me & have very specific requirements...
Thus such will require making other more verbose threads...
for comprehending what my goals are with Puppy.

perdido

#7 Post by perdido »

To see which libraries are missing try running the program from the console (also called the terminal or command prompt).

To find the exact name of the executable of the program look in the
/usr/share/applications/ directory at the related .desktop file with the program name, the .desktop file is used in building the menu entries and has the executable file listed as
Exec="Program Name Here"

Type the program name in the console and hit enter.
Then the fun begins :)

When the program fails to start it will tell you why when running it from the terminal.

n01ze

#8 Post by n01ze »

thanks so much!
used tool for figuring out the missing dependencies for package...
then installed them via PPM
will experiment with correct method you described when at that machine

mikeslr

#9 Post by mikeslr »

Hi n01ze,

I hope the following will neither be too encouraging nor too discouraging. Thanks to the earlier work and instructions by battleshooter I was eventually able to build a functional Flowblade for Xenialpup64, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 988#934988. But you'll probably find my handle, mikeslr, on posts about other video-editors as I'm always looking for one which will function under those Puppies I run. But there are too many Puppies which are good for many tasks for me to keep up with all of them, and bionicpup 32 isn't one I'm currently actively working with.

There's a basic problem in common with all video editors, save one. They all employ python as part of their infrastructure. In the absence of python it is reasonably simple to find out if the application doesn't run because something is missing: file-browse to the applications binary, Right-Click it and Select ListDD (Dynamic Dependencies) from the Pop-up menu. A panel at the bottom of the GUI which opens named "Missing" just lists the libraries or other files which are. Unfortunately, python modules aren't binaries so List Dynamic Dependencies isn't helpful. Consequently, as perdido posted, the only thing you can do is to start the application via the terminal and see what information that provides.

There's a second problem with python. Each video editor uses different versions and they can conflict. I noticed that you installed Openshot. Make certain to uninstall it before trying to run flowblade (or vice-versa).

For what it's worth, IIRC, 666philb posted that while Openshot run better under Xenialpup64, Kdenlive had fewer problems under Bionicpup64. 666philb is the creator of both of those Pups. I don't know whether that experience will carry over to the 32-bit version of Bionicpup. But, any clue being better than none, if its available via PPM I'd suggest trying Kdenlive after uninstalling both Openshot and Flowblade.

I'm really surprised by your report of problems with Avidemux. It doesn't use python; and I've been able to get some version of it running under any Puppy, both 32 and 64-bit. But, of course, it has far fewer capabilities than the other video editors.

The one video-editor which is reported to run under anything is Cinelerra. Regretfully, its learning curve is very steep. I have no experience actually trying to use it.

Final note: I don't recall which video editor this pertained to. While frei0r libraries are necessary to create video effects, PPM didn't include them as dependencies.

Mike Walsh

#10 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, n01ze.

Sadly, I have to concur with Mike about Python - yet again! - unfortunately it, along with mlt, seem to be requirements for almost all video-editors. Mlt by itself isn't a problem; the problem usually lies with the Python components that call it...

Anyway; I have some good news for you. Personally, I've never been able to use FlowBlade; I can install it, no problem, but because my monitor is an elderly 1024x768, FlowBlade complains that the screen size is too small (apparently, it's coded to expect a minimum 1280px width....)

------------------------------------------------------------

I use OpenShot throughout a 'kennels' of around a dozen Pups. I'm in Bionicpup32 right now. The package in use here is the Openshot 1.4.2 put together by battleshooter, who, as with any project he put his mind to, went out of his way to construct it as thoroughly as possible, with absolutely everything required to make it just 'work'.

You can find either .pet or SFS packages of 1.4.2 here, at my Google Drive a/c:-

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Personally, I use the .pet package; I run with very large 'save-files', and size isn't an issue for me. A .pet package will overwrite components permanently; an SFS, on the other hand, temporarily 'overwrites' them while loaded, but upon unloading, the old components will still be there. I'd recommend the SFS package, since they're easier to dispose of if they don't work.

Help yourself to whichever one you want. Before using either one, I'd recommend that you un-install any Openshot stuff you may have installed from the PPM. The one in the PPM is the Qt5-based 2-series, and these are problematic because they've been written to expect the use of a dedicated graphics card. I don't use one, and TBH, unless you have a pressing need for the additional 'bling' of the 2-series Openshot builds, the final 1-series packages will do all you could want them to.

You may find you still need to install 'frei0r-plugins' from the PPM. Although it's an integral part of battleshooter's build, Puppy doesn't always seem to recognise that it's there with an SFS package.

When you get it installed, you may find that it'll open, but appear to be unresponsive. If you minimize the main window, you'll find a small window open underneath it, requesting installation of 'fre0r-plugins' for special effects. These are not essential - Openshot will still work without them! - but if not installed, this window needs to be 'OK-ed' before everything'll work.

If they are installed prior to firing-up for the first time, this window won't appear.

If you can't start it from the Menu entry, try starting openshot from the terminal, and let us have the readout, please?

----------------------

There's a couple of other 'goodies' that you may be interested in. Two video 'trimmers', as opposed to full editors.

The first is Avidemux - Mike knows all about this one. The package I'm going to link you to is an 'all-in-one' build by Patriot. This is in the form of an AppImage, which I turned the original into by the use of Fredx181's build-scripts. Download it; it's a single 'binary'. You can put this absolutely anywhere; just click on it, and it'll fire up, because AppImages unpack themselves into, and run from /tmp for the duration.

You can find it here:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14pHMsu ... sp=sharing

------------------------

The other one is a much fuller-featured video trimmer, known as 'Lossless Cut'. This particular one is the newest version that works with 32-bit Pups; there are a couple of newer releases, but they're 64-bit only.

I described some of its functionality in this thread, here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 15#1032815

(For some reason the images aren't showing at the moment; my guess is that PostImage may be down for maintenance, or summat....)

v2.1.0 is the version you want. You can find it here:-

https://github.com/mifi/lossless-cut/re ... x-ia32.zip

That's a direct link, BTW.

A word of caution; if you have reservations about space, this may not be for you. It's an Electron-based app, which means it essentially runs on top of a stripped-down Chromium browser, and it's pretty big.....around 270 MB when unpacked. The early versions were extremely basic, and I never felt the size was justified.....the later versions, however, are much more worth it, since they have far more extensive functionality.

You can get a feel for the way it works here:-

https://github.com/mifi/lossless-cut

----------------------------------------------

Hope that little lot may be of some use to you. :D

Mike. :wink:

mikeslr

#11 Post by mikeslr »

And, sadly, the conflicts between python versions isn't limited to those only used by video editors. The way a Frugal Puppy works is that it copies some of the various file systems into RAM creating a "merged file system" in RAM. That system is, in fact, your operating system: not the files on your Storage Media.

When it performs the merge, "pointers" are created in RAM as to where the files (not already loaded) are located so that when those files are needed they can be copied into RAM. The various file-systems a Puppy has may have conflicting files or file-"families". Puppies have to know which of these to use so it establishes "priorities". The files and file-families in your SaveFile/Folder have first priority; the next priority is assigned to those in your Puppy's Puppy_version.sfs. Only if these are absent, are the files and file-families in an Application.SFS used. As a consequence, if a version of python exists in either the SaveFile/Folder or the Puppy_version.sfs, the version of python in an SFS will not be used*. That means that sometimes the installation of a pet (which places the files in the SaveFile/Folder) will result in a functional application, while the loading of an SFS will not.

---
* It is probably possible to construct an application so that it is entirely located in a folder in /opt or on /mnt/home and include in that application a wrapper specifying that that application should 'import only those libraries/files' from its folder; and to 'call' the application via that wrapper rather than directly via the binary. That, in fact, is how portable firefox and palemoon are constructed so that their glibc libraries (and other files) will be used rather than those built into the Puppy_version.sfs. But, unfortunately, video-applications available via PPM aren't so constructed. And, AFAIK, neither pets nor SFSes of the major video-editors so constructed are available.

The avidemux appimage Mike Walsh referred may have been constructed in that manner: self-contained. But, as I mentioned it doesn't employ python or any other library which might cause a conflict.
----

I've just tested Cinelerra 32-bit under dpup-stretch and 64-bit under Xenialpup64. Both were fully functional. These are 'older versions'. I'd have to locate as download source. A quick search regarding 'current' seems to suggest they may be more 'distro-centric' and a 32-bit version may be lacking.

Post script: Further exploration has confirmed my suspicion. Builds for specific Distro versions can be found here: https://cinelerra-gg.org/download/tars/. No version (debian10) likely to run under dpup-buster 32-bit was listed, so I downloaded several possible candidates. ldd revealed three missing libraries in the static debian 9 package. All those libraries were (strangely) looking for so.1 versions. dpup-buster had the so.2 versions. So, it should have been a simple adjustment: symbolic links named so.1 which would direct the use of so.2. Applying it, however, hung the computer requiring a hard shutdown.

On the other hand, the new 5.1 build for Xenialpup64 ran out of the box. Which leads to my next questions: If video-editing is a priority, Is there any reason you are specifically using a 32-bit Puppy and, in particular, Bionic?

As noted above, there was no 32-bit build of cinelerra for debian 10. There was also no 32-bit builds for Ubuntus newer than 14 (Trusty Tahr). Unfortunately, the Major distros have either ceased building 32-bit systems or reported their intention to do so. That direction impacts even 'independent producers' such as cinelerra: There is only so much time and resources; why devote them to an increasingly smaller niche? Even the 32-bit applications which are published will not be as extensively tested as they once were.

There was, however, a 32-bit cinelerra package for Slackware 14.2. In contrast to other Major distros which are constantly pushing for the 'newest and greatest', Slackware emphases reliability: implement a change only when necessary. If you're interested, you'll find 32-bit Puppies, such as LxPupSC, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 751#870751 woof-built using binaries from Slackware 14.2.

Slackware's conservative nature, however, also impacts the availability of the newest versions of applications which aren't among those every user will want.

Conculsion: If your computer can handle it, I suggest trying 64-bit operating systems based on Ubuntu or debian.

n01ze

#12 Post by n01ze »

Replaced my save file for bionic with earlier smaller slim backup...
flushing everything installed attempting getting Video editing working
then installed Avidemux.
That now is running on my Bionic.*have 4-6 puppies whist conducting experiments)
Flowplayer & Openshot are on hold until have stable WINE functional on Bionic.
That is my priority because my custom VST & personal sounds design tools require such.
Last edited by n01ze on Sat 05 Oct 2019, 11:10, edited 2 times in total.
[b]SynthWizards[/b]
[b]VortexSoundResearch[/b]
[url]http://www.N01ZE.com[/url]

bigpup

#13 Post by bigpup »

Beginners help section of forum.
YaPI(any iso installer)

n01ze

#14 Post by n01ze »

WOW the portable WINE method works on Bionic!!!
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 245#989245
My custom SoundDesign tools are fully functional now on Linux.
That gives me an idea of making new version Puppy "N01ZE" Studio ISO Spin.
[b]SynthWizards[/b]

Mike Walsh

#15 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ n01ze:-

You might also be interested in the attached script which I wrote following suggestions from the other Mike.

Essentially, you do a 'normal' install of one of version2013's WINE packages:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88711

The script then performs a 're-location' of the major components of WINE to an alternate location which is outside of your save-file/folder. And this of course helps to keep things small and neat.

The original components are first copied. The originals are then removed. Finally, the now-remote components are sym-linked back to their original location inside 'Puppy-space', where they are expected to be.

---------------------------------

Mike's portable, based on Shinobar's original WINE-portable, works very well. However, I've long found one thing the portable version won't do, which the 'normal' install of WINE can.....and that is to let you use wee scripts to construct individual Menu entries for each & every Windows app/program you run. This is the way I prefer to do things.

You may find it useful, you may not. The package contains the script, and a 'Read Me' file. Untar to use the contents.

Attachments
Externalize_WINE.tar
Script to re-locate the bulk of a WINE install to a location external to 'Puppy-space'. Untar to find the script and a 'Read-Me' file.
(10 KiB) Downloaded 88 times

n01ze

#16 Post by n01ze »

Thanks!
Very much appreciate your post & the link...
will grab it when on Bionic pup...
having fun with WINE
honestly haven't experimented with since it was first released...
on my old RH Fedora Apache/SQL/CMS/Forum server...
ages ago.... 2002-2004???
Feels so good now returning for relearning Linux:)
Pardon my total Noob on Puppy skillz.
This is actually enjoyable for me yet sometimes frustrating.
[b]SynthWizards[/b]

Mike Walsh

#17 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ n01ze:-

Yah, I know what you mean about enjoying Puppy. I've had more fun this last 5 years or so with Puppy than I'd had the whole of the previous 25 with various versions of Windoze!

And don't worry about being a 'noob' when it comes to doing stuff with Pup. Even seasoned Linux veterans find themselves complete beginners when they try our favourite 'K-9', because some of the basic Puppy concepts are totally unique. She takes some getting used to, but it's great fun learning, partly because we have such a friendly community, who go out of their way to help.....

Puppy positively encourages you to try doing things that even users of mainline Linux distros would think twice about attempting.....and with the save-file/folder system, which can be 'backed-up' with a simple copy/paste operation, recovery from a 'borked' system takes just a matter of minutes.

One word of advice - if you haven't already realised this. Keep a 'spare' Puppy install on a USB stick. This way, it's so much simpler to recover Puppy in the event of major melt-down.....because you have access to all the built-in Puppy utilities that way. It really is a 'no-brainer'.

I think you'll enjoy yourself, mate.

(BTW:- with regard to 'externalizing' WINE, I 'share' a single WINE install between around a dozen Pups. When you're running a few 'hefty' Windoze programs - I have 2 or 3 of the text-to-speech applications, including the industry 'standard' Text Aloud! (along with a handful of the AT&t NaturalVoices, data for which runs out at well over half-a-gig or so per voice) - WINE can pretty quickly turn into a bit of a beast in terms of space consumed. This way, I save on a lot of disk space, yet still get the benefits for all Pups concerned.)

n01ze

#18 Post by n01ze »

One word of advice - if you haven't already realised this. Keep a 'spare' Puppy install on a USB stick. This way, it's so much simpler to recover Puppy in the event of major melt-down.....because you have access to all the built-in Puppy utilities that way. It really is a 'no-brainer'.

Realized the logic of this very early...
since having backup saved versions is my forte on projects anymore...
already saved me multiple times via replacing save file...
BTW that external wine script is brilliant concept.
[b]SynthWizards[/b]

n01ze

#19 Post by n01ze »

Mike's portable, based on Shinobar's original WINE-portable, works very well. However, I've long found one thing the portable version won't do, which the 'normal' install of WINE can.....and that is to let you use wee scripts to construct individual Menu entries for each & every Windows app/program you run. This is the way I prefer to do things.
This is exactly my recent struggle with portable WINE.
[b]SynthWizards[/b]

mikeslr

Wine Portable vs Externalized Wine

#20 Post by mikeslr »

Hi n01ze,

Just wanted to make sure you know that Mike Walsh's script is for use when you are directly employing one of version2013's wine builds. It is NOT for use with any Portable-Wine you download from this thread, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 297#755297 including the Portable Wine version 3.3_v2.1 linked to here, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 245#989245. Portable-Wine, including the Wine-data folder, into which programs will be installed, are already outside of 'Puppy Space'.

Externalizing parts of version2013's wine builds came about when I :shock: could not follow my own instructions for updating Shinobar & the Japanese Teams Wine Portable. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 91#1027791. trlkly, however, was able to not only perform such update, but to use the Wine64 pet as a source. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 83#1030483

As I wrote in the Externalize Wine OP, the main advantage of Externalize Wine over Portable Wine is that I don't have to build it. :lol: