HD install own partition

Booting, installing, newbie

HD install own partition

#1 Post by 789 »

I booted up the Puppy CD. Everything looks and seems to work well (video, audio, network); it mounts, reads, writes sda5(swap) sda6(ext2) sda7(Reiser)

I went through the installation process, gave it its own partition(sda6) to take over
On reboot this is how far we got :

VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly
Freeing unused kernel memory: 168k freed
/sbin/init: /lib/libc.so.6: version 'GLIBC-2.3.4' not found (required by /sbin/init)
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init !

It choked there, needed on/off switch to restart machine
cplater

#2 Post by cplater »

I've seen that once before with my system when I had the pup_xxx.sfs in the wrong place with a manual install. I had put mine in the /puppy directory along with vmlinuz and initrd files. It needs to be at the "/" level although the other boot files can be in sub-directories. If it is there, make sure the menu.lst file is pointing to the right partition as the root. If I read what you have correctly it should be rootnoverify (hd0,5).

#3 Post by 789 »

initrd.gz, pup_210.sfs, vmlinuz are at root
menu.lst says
rootnoverify (instead of root) hd0,5

result is the same
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Isn't sda a removable memory? Is this a USB hard drive or flash memory you're trying to install Puppy on?
cplater

#5 Post by cplater »

Hmm, looks about right except for the missing parens around the drive specifier. Not sure exactly what is not happening.
Mine looks like this for my second drive:

Code: Select all

title Puppy Linux2.10
  rootnoverify (hd1,0)
  kernel (hd1,0)/puppy210/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd
  initrd (hd1,0)/puppy210/initrd.gz
My guess is your section should look something like this:

title Puppy Linux2.10
  rootnoverify (hd0,5)
  kernel (hd0,5)/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd
  initrd (hd0,5)/initrd.gz

#6 Post by 789 »

Well, I installed and re-installed ...
Now, Puppy boots from hard drive, but no sound and no network

In the meantime it works well off the CD, saving settings on HD
cplater

#7 Post by cplater »

You will most likely need to use the wizards to re-setup the ethernet and sound driver from the HD boot. After configuring the ALSA sound, open a terminal window and test it by playing a sound:

aplay /usr/share/sounds/bark.au
If you donot hear the bark, run alsamixer to set the volume and you should be good to go.

#8 Post by 789 »

Unfortunately it is a bit more than that
ALSA does not configure. It says there is no sound card
Wired network does not configure. It says there is no module. It knows about my SiS900
Wireless config says my card works fine, even though there is no wireless card in this machine.
So, something is cross-wired here
It boots without vmlinuz and initrd being at root or anywhere I could find them

fstab
/dev/sda7 /home reiserfs defaults,auto 0 0
but I have to mount sda7 manually. How do I persuade Puppy to mount my /home auto ?

So far I tried on this machine (Acer Aspire AST136/19"LCD) Xandros, Ubuntu, S.u.S.E. Mandriva, Linpus, UHU,Vector, Zenwalk, Feather, DSL, Slax, Blue Water, GrafPuppy, Luit; but no luck. The big ones cannot drive my video, the smaller ones my sound.
Only Knoppix installs and drives everything
And, of course, NT5
cplater

#9 Post by cplater »

I've been looking for information on you problem and all I can find is that perhaps there is something amiss with the reiserfs. From what I can find, it seems reiser is the least stable of the 3 most popular linux file systems ( ext2, ext3 and reiser). I know puppy will work fine with Fat32, ext2 and ext3 if you need journaling so I would try making the partition one of those types and see if things work out.
Sage

#10 Post by Sage »

Hr Reiser is in custody on a murder charge. Everyone is abandoning reiserfs for this reason, there were disastrous flaws in the last version and v.4 is unfinished. Even if it gets finished, support could be limited for a few centuries.

#11 Post by 789 »

Thank you for your time and trouble cplater

In the meantime I formated, installed and re-installed ... and now I have puppy installed and working on sda6 ext3. I have no idea what went right this time.
Perhaps the fact that Wolvix just released a distro that does all those things I listed the last time was a warning to Puppy to come to its senses and behave (or else) :-)

Other questions :

How do I tell Puppy to mount sda7 as /home automatically at boot as other Linuxes do ? It ignores the line in fstab, but when I mount it in MUT it is /home.

How do I tell Puppy NOT to look for USB devices on boot up ? I don't use any of them (6), it just slows down the process.

Why Puppy only likes vga=normal ? With every other settings it is blank screen until boot is finished and gui pops up.
At first I clicked on "no pcmcia" in the wag setup. Now I would like to click on yes pcmcia, but wag won't go back to beginning of the setup. Is this why Puppy doesn't remember wireless settings ? Others asked about how to make Puppy remember wireless setting, too; but didn't see any good answer.

______
As for Mr. Reiser being a murderer (if he is ?), I couldn't care less. Never met the man, until this post I didn't even know that this file system was named after a person. Now that I know, I still only care about reiserfs, not the man who wrote it. How many programmers went to jail for this and that and the other in the past 30 years ? Big name distributions use it as standard, S.u.S.E. put it on my hard drive, and now I have too much stuff collected there to re-format it.
Garry Glitter is a boy-molestor -- and that is actually disgusting -- yet his "rock and roll" is played at hockey games.
Mr. Gates is a criminal against humanity, yet a thousand million people happily use windows (not that they have a say, or know any better).

But, since you brought up the subject, what is wrong with reiserfs ? and if it is so bad why did all those distros switched over to it ?
Kal

VGA Settings

#12 Post by Kal »

On the vga, I use vga=6. I believe any number can be used, from 0 thru 9, giving different sizes.
Kal
GuestToo
Puppy Master

#13 Post by GuestToo »

subject, what is wrong with reiserfs ?
nothing, until you crash ... the last time i crashed with a reiserfs drive mounted, it took an hour and a half for the file system check to finish ... the ext3 drive took about 10 seconds

maybe reiserfs has better file system checking tools now, i don't know, i avoid reiserfs
why did all those distros switched over to it ?
theoretically, certain benchmarks show reiserfs is faster, under certain circumstances

in practical real world every day use, i have not noticed that reiserfs is significantly faster ... i would prefer reliablility to a slight increase in drive access speed

i usually choose ext3

#14 Post by 789 »

All right. That sounds convincing and reason enough. I am willing to copy stuff onto sda6 and format sda7. What should the format be ? ext2 or ext3 ? what difference would journaling make to me ?

Regarding vga=1-6
Yes, it makes characters smaller (ugly as can be); but what I am looking for is the frame buffering and the penguin in the top left corner that vga=773 and other 3-digit numbers should get me.
GuestToo
Puppy Master

#15 Post by GuestToo »

ext2 or ext3 ? what difference would journaling make to me ?
not a lot of difference .. unless you crash or remove a flash drive without unmounting it first

you are less likely to lose data after a crash if the file system is journalled ... and a file system check is usually much faster, often only 10 or 20 seconds

ext3 might work a little faster than ext2, sometimes, because the drivers have more information so they can access the drive more efficiently

the journal takes up space, so there is a little less space on an ext3 file system

you should be able to convert ext2 to ext3 fairly easily anyway

different file systems each have their own strengths and weaknesses ... ext3 seems to be relatively reliable and seems to be good enough for my purposes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReiserFS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XFS