Bionicpup64 install boots very slowly (4.5 min)

Using applications, configuring, problems
Azpedey

Bionicpup64 install boots very slowly (4.5 min)

#1 Post by Azpedey »

I recently downloaded and installed (full) Bionicpup64 ver 8. Very slow to boot. Thought it was corrupt CD or something I did, so downloaded again, did the checksum and burned CD. Removed first installation with PPM, and reinstalled Bionic, same issue. The issue I encountered is that from time OS selection is made in GRUB menu until the home screen appears is 4 minutes and 30 seconds. Have been using Tahrpuppy 6.0.6 and the time from GRUB selection until home screen appears is only 25 seconds. I am satisfied to continue with Tahrpup, but I thought someone might want to know of my experience.

Computer: Dell Latitude E6500; Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4GHz CPU; 2 Gig RAM.

artsown

Re: Bionicpup64

#2 Post by artsown »

Azpedey wrote:I recently downloaded and installed (full) Bionicpup64 ver 8. Very slow to boot. Thought it was corrupt CD or something I did, so downloaded again, did the checksum and burned CD. Removed first installation with PPM, and reinstalled Bionic, same issue. The issue I encountered is that from time OS selection is made in GRUB menu until the home screen appears is 4 minutes and 30 seconds. Have been using Tahrpuppy 6.0.6 and the time from GRUB selection until home screen appears is only 25 seconds. I am satisfied to continue with Tahrpup, but I thought someone might want to know of my experience.

Computer: Dell Lattitude E6500, Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4GHz CPU, 2 Gig RAM.
Full install? Perhaps that's the problem. Frugal installs are recommended.
Certainly your computer specs are sufficient.

BTW, please post in the bionicpup64 8.0 thread.

Art

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

I too suggest doing a frugal not a full install.

Any other operating systems on the computer?

What format is the partition on the hard drive you are installing on?

What exact program did you use to do the install?
Running this program.
You did what?
You see what?

What boot loader did you install?
How did you install it?

You are doing something wrong, but need specific details on what you do.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

foxpup

#4 Post by foxpup »

Try the kernel from faster Tahr on Bionicpup.
Just pay attention to this: 64bit distro will not work on 32bit kernel, 32bit distro on 64bit kernel is ok.

I have a dell vostro 510 that works best with the kernel from slacko6.9.9.9 (32bit) from a build from norgo.
So I always switch to that kernel on this machine.
With bionicpups32 on this machine I get more then 2 minutes' startups, with norgo's kernel switched in, just 25 seconds.
(I still have to find a good 64bit kernel for this machine.)

PS: frugal install recommended! :-)

Azpedey

#5 Post by Azpedey »

bigpup
You are doing something wrong, but need specific details on what you do.
Did fresh install this AM from flash drive. Hard drive is 160GB with 4 partitions, Windows, Linux swap, Mint Cinnamon 19.3, and puppy.

After Bionicpup64 8.0 was up and running from flash drive, clicked on Install icon, selected universal installer and internal drive.

Selected GParted to format desired partition and set boot flag. After 4 minutes and 3 seconds, gparted displayed drive contents. Formatted partition to Ext3 and set boot flag.

Followed prompts - frugal install using entire partition, GRUB installed to sda, and shut down after install with no save.

Removed flash drive and rebooted, set Time Zone and made internet connection, and using Quickpet did update. Shut down with save, no folder name.

Rebooted and timed boot - 4 minutes 41 seconds to home screen.

Also timed startup on Mint 19.3 as reference as to computer performance - 38 seconds to login screen

mikeslr

#6 Post by mikeslr »

I see that Mint 19.3 is using Linux Kernel 5.0. https://linuxmint.com/rel_tricia_cinnamon_whatsnew.php. Rockedge has published several series 5 kernels compiled under Bionicpup64. [They will work with other Puppy 'flavors']. You'll find them here, https://rockedge.org/kernels/.

Among them are 5.0.1_x86_64, which would be almost identical to the kernel used by Mint 19.3, and 5.4.5-rt3-preempt-x86_64. This is not only newer, but is a REAL-TIME kernel. My experience is that REAL-TIME kernels provide increased responsiveness in applications.

You may want to try several to see if any resolve your problem and determine which works best with your system. Ask if you need assistance on how to swap kernels. I do it manually which takes only slightly longer than the boot-up time you've reported.

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

How fast does Bionicpup64 8.0 boot when installed on the USB flash drive?

Are you installing Grub4dos boot loader or Legacy Grub?

If you are using Legacy Grub as the boot loader.
I would like to see what is in the grub.cfg file.
Would you please post the contents of grub.cfg.

If Grub4dos boot loader is used.
Please post the contents of menu.lst file.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#8 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Azpedey:-

Sounds to me as though the flashdrive itself might be the problem. Certain makes/models of flashdrive simply do not work very well in combination with Puppy and particular hardware setups....

What make/model/size is the flashdrive in question? How old is it? Have you tried another one, out of curiosity?

Mike. :wink:

Azpedey

#9 Post by Azpedey »

Thanks for all your responses. I didn’t plan to get this much involved, just report my observations, but I am involved so here goes. Nothing has been mentioned that my install procedure was wrong, and I don’t buy the flash drive theory. In my opinion, we’re going down the wrong rabbit hole. Now that I made such a statement, I better back it up. I spent the weekend trying to prove it to myself.

Using same PNY 16GB flash drive, and frugal install procedure stated above, I installed Bionicpup64 8.0 on four other computers.

Computer 1. My old Compaq V3000, 2.2Ghz AMD Turion 64x2 CPU, 2GB RAM

Computer 2. Sons HP s5730y desktop, 3.4Ghz AMD Phenom II (x2) CPU, 4GB RAM

Computer 3. Son-in-laws HP a6720y desktop, 2.2Ghz AMD Phenom Quadcore CPU, 6GB RAM

Computer 4. Sisters Dell E6500, 2.26Ghz Intel Core2Duo CPU, 4GB RAM

Results: First number - boot time from flash drive, second - boot time from HDD install

Comp 1. 48 sec. - 45 sec.

Comp 2. 55 sec. - 30 sec.

Comp 3. 75 sec. - 46 sec.

Comp 4. 4 min. 34 sec. - 4 min. 33 secs.

My Dell 4 min. 23 sec. - 4 min. 30 secs.

My conclusion: There is no problem with the flash drive. Computers 1, 2 and 3 appear to like Bionicpup just fine. The two Dell E6500 (with Intel CPU’s) don’t play nice with Bionicpup. Sounds like foxpup and mikesir may be going in right direction.

I am an octagenarian and I don’t have the knowledge or desire to do any kernel change. My sister and I are satisfied with Tahrpuppy64 6.0.6, which we are currently using. I only tried Bionicpup when I was doing some updating on her computer.

If my observations help with the progress of Puppy – great. If not – I got to play with some other computers for awhile!

foxpup

#10 Post by foxpup »

Azpedey wrote:The two Dell E6500 (with Intel CPU’s) don’t play nice with Bionicpup. Sounds like foxpup and mikesir may be going in right direction.

I am an octagenarian and I don’t have the knowledge or desire to do any kernel change. My sister and I are satisfied with Tahrpuppy64 6.0.6, which we are currently using.
:D
Maybe you do not know how simple it is to change kernel in Puppy?

Here we go:
(Backup the old kernel and its drivers: drop them elsewhere.)
You take the kernel 'vmlinuz' and its drivers 'zdrv_replace.sfs' you want to use and replace the old kernel and drivers with this.
Just make sure you rename zdrv_replace.sfs properly, so for Bionicpup64 this must be zdrv_bionicpup64_8.0.sfs

It is not that simple with old Puppys, but starting with Tahrpup - maybe earlier? - it is that simple!
You do it preferably from another Puppy running ;-) ... of course.