How can I combine two xenial64(Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
number77

How can I combine two xenial64(Solved)

#1 Post by number77 »

Hello
I have a Dell latitude 1230 and two alternate ssds. One is the one I use all the time, a frugal install of xenial64 to partition 1 on ssd 1.
I also have a ssd with win7, lick and xenial64 on partition3.
I would like to copy as much as possible from ssd 1 to ssd 2 as I do occasionally have to use win7 and its a pain to keep changing ssds
What do I need to copy from ssd 1 to installation on ssd 2. It seemed complicated to me as I am not sure if lick makes a full install.
Thanks
number77
Last edited by number77 on Tue 09 Jun 2020, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

I think Lick does frugal installs.
Easy to find out.
Look on SSD2 and see if Xenialpup is in a folder.
Look inside that folder.
If you see files like vmlinuz, initrd.gz, different .sfs files, etc... It is a frugal install.

All you need from the frugal install on ssd1 is the xenialpup save file.
Copy it to the same place as the xenialpup stuff on ssd2.
If xenialpup on ssd2 is a frugal install.
Now you will have 2 saves.
When booting it will ask which one to use.
If one save has all you need in it.
Delete or rename the one you do not want to use.

I assumed both frugal installs are using a save file not a save folder.
If sdd1 was using a save folder.
That will not work on a Windows formatted location.
Again, I assume ssd2 is formatted ntfs,

So, is ssd1 frugal install using a save file or folder?
What format is ssd2?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mikeslr

#3 Post by mikeslr »

If you are using a SaveFolder and need to move it to a Fat32 or ntfs partition, you can first install and run one of the modules of the nicOS-Utility-Suite, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 10#1053410. In it nic007 combined all his utilities including one to convert a SaveFile/Folder to either an adrv or a ydrv. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 470#944470. As either an adrv.sfs or ydrv.sfs, the changes you preserved can be used on any kind of partition. On first shutdown after using it you'll receive the customary notice of the opportunity to create a Save. Your Choice: (a) Create a small one as you won't have much (if anything) to change; (b) later, find the instructions for removing that 'first shut-down nag'; or (c) --do as I do-- just ignore it. Sorry, don't have the time to look for the instructions just now. IIRC, they involve editing /etc -- which is why I just ignore the nag.

number77

#4 Post by number77 »

bigpup wrote:I think Lick does frugal installs.
Easy to find out.
Look on SSD2 and see if Xenialpup is in a folder.
Look inside that folder.
If you see files like vmlinuz, initrd.gz, different .sfs files, etc... It is a frugal install.

All you need from the frugal install on ssd1 is the xenialpup save file.
Copy it to the same place as the xenialpup stuff on ssd2.
If xenialpup on ssd2 is a frugal install.
Now you will have 2 saves.
When booting it will ask which one to use.
If one save has all you need in it.
Delete or rename the one you do not want to use.

I assumed both frugal installs are using a save file not a save folder.
If sdd1 was using a save folder.
That will not work on a Windows formatted location.
Again, I assume ssd2 is formatted ntfs,

So, is ssd1 frugal install using a save file or folder?
What format is ssd2?
I am not sure if ssd1 is a save file of folder. If I click on it it opens as folder.
ssd2 saves as a .4fs file. ssd2 is ntfs I think because Lick is run from win7.
ssd1 save file is not recognised if I copy to ssd2.
I have a feeling that a new install of xenial64 with everything copied may be easier.

number77

#5 Post by number77 »

mikeslr wrote:If you are using a SaveFolder and need to move it to a Fat32 or ntfs partition, you can first install and run one of the modules of the nicOS-Utility-Suite, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 10#1053410. In it nic007 combined all his utilities including one to convert a SaveFile/Folder to either an adrv or a ydrv. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 470#944470. As either an adrv.sfs or ydrv.sfs, the changes you preserved can be used on any kind of partition. On first shutdown after using it you'll receive the customary notice of the opportunity to create a Save. Your Choice: (a) Create a small one as you won't have much (if anything) to change; (b) later, find the instructions for removing that 'first shut-down nag'; or (c) --do as I do-- just ignore it. Sorry, don't have the time to look for the instructions just now. IIRC, they involve editing /etc -- which is why I just ignore the nag.
mikeslr I am definitely lost now so may take the easy way out and copy what I need from first ssd to second install. Its a problem for me that Lick run from win7 will not work with ext4 partition. I don't like ntfs partitions anyway.

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

ssd1 save file is not recognized if I copy to ssd2.
A save that ends in .2fs, 3fs, or 4fs is a save file.

If the save is named something like this:
xenialpupsave
It is a save folder.
So it will need to be converted to a save file to be seen on an ntfs format.

A search of the forum, will bring up several ways to do it.
YaPI(any iso installer)

number77

#7 Post by number77 »

bigpup wrote:
ssd1 save file is not recognized if I copy to ssd2.
A save that ends in .2fs, 3fs, or 4fs is a save file.

If the save is named something like this:
xenialpupsave
It is a save folder.
So it will need to be converted to a save file to be seen on an ntfs format.

A search of the forum, will bring up several ways to do it.
Bigpup is there any other way to run dual boot of win7 and puppy. I have never relaxed using Lick, which runs under windows, to install xenialpup.
I can't use ext4 files or Lick will not recognize them and so will not install to ext4 partition but must use ntfs, a microsoft system.
I would like to keep both operating systems completely seperate and changing ssds is not easy.
Any ideas please.

enrique

#8 Post by enrique »

I have 0% knowledge on Lick.

Now I see you where given some explanation, but seems you still unsatisfied .
Your information posted is not clear. I understand you have a Laptop Dell latitude 1230. But "1230" is not a valid model?

From your post it seems your Laptop holds only 1 SSD. And you manually remove one to install the other one. Yes to bad, complicated.

How can I combine two xenial64 installations? Basically you can not combine 2 OS. But if you are asking if you can have your personal PuppySave data from SSD1 move to SSD2, the answer is yes if you have the space. Use any od the method mention. Or while in Puppy you can use Uextract to extract all the files store inside the Puppysave to a Linux ext folder. But Mikes told you a method to create a SFS folder. A SFS folder that you can load anytime you need to search for files.

Bigpup is there any other way to run dual boot of win7 and puppy. I have never relaxed using Lick
See in your case this is where I would start.
If your Dell latitude came with Win7 ORIGINALLY most likely you will have no issues. Issues come when you have a new Win10 PC with UEFI ONLY.

Tell us the correct model of your Laptop so that we can make suggestions.. But Assuming you have a Win7 PC, just go into Bios and make sure you do not see UEFI, Secure Boot or Legacy Compatibility Mode. In any case I strongly suggest you have a spare USB and Install Puppy using Grub4dos. If you can boot then you are safe. And this USB will always be with you to be use just in case you need an emergency repair. Start with this then you will be safe to install grub4dos on your laptop "run dual boot"..

number77

#9 Post by number77 »

enrique wrote:I have 0% knowledge on Lick.

Now I see you where given some explanation, but seems you still unsatisfied .
Your information posted is not clear. I understand you have a Laptop Dell latitude 1230. But "1230" is not a valid model?

From your post it seems your Laptop holds only 1 SSD. And you manually remove one to install the other one. Yes to bad, complicated.

How can I combine two xenial64 installations? Basically you can not combine 2 OS. But if you are asking if you can have your personal PuppySave data from SSD1 move to SSD2, the answer is yes if you have the space. Use any od the method mention. Or while in Puppy you can use Uextract to extract all the files store inside the Puppysave to a Linux ext folder. But Mikes told you a method to create a SFS folder. A SFS folder that you can load anytime you need to search for files.

Bigpup is there any other way to run dual boot of win7 and puppy. I have never relaxed using Lick
See in your case this is where I would start.
If your Dell latitude came with Win7 ORIGINALLY most likely you will have no issues. Issues come when you have a new Win10 PC with UEFI ONLY.

Tell us the correct model of your Laptop so that we can make suggestions.. But Assuming you have a Win7 PC, just go into Bios and make sure you do not see UEFI, Secure Boot or Legacy Compatibility Mode. In any case I strongly suggest you have a spare USB and Install Puppy using Grub4dos. If you can boot then you are safe. And this USB will always be with you to be use just in case you need an emergency repair. Start with this then you will be safe to install grub4dos on your laptop "run dual boot"..
You are correct, the laptop is a Dell Latitude E6230.

bigpup

#10 Post by bigpup »

I would like to copy as much as possible from ssd 1 to ssd 2 as I do occasionally have to use win7 and its a pain to keep changing ssds
do not change anything on the ssd's.

The best you can get is booting to a boot loader menu, where you select what OS to boot.
That is not gong to be much different than changing SSD to boot from.

If you are changing what SSD to boot from, by going into the bios setup, and changing the boot device order.

Most computers have a F key you can push, just at boot start.
The computers manual says press F12.
This will bring up a selection list of drives.
Select the drive to boot.

If you must be able to boot to a boot menu and select the OS from it.

Need this info.
How is Xenialpup installed on SSD1?
As a live install or a frugal install?
If frugal install.
What boot loader is booting it?
YaPI(any iso installer)

enrique

#11 Post by enrique »

bigpup is always correct, users need to post more info in order for us to help.

Dell Latitude E6230
Core i5-3320M CPU, Intel HD Graphics 4000, 4 GB RAM and an 256 GB SSD
2012 release.
Windows 7 SP1 64-Bit

@number77
Regards Multi-Boot
You are the only one that can tell us what you see in BIOS. But from the fact that it is a 2012/Win7 I will say,no issues with UEFI. So just create the USB with Puppy and grub4dos. Make sure you can boot nicely. Then you can install grub4dos SSD making your system multi-boot.

@bigpup my understanding is that that laptop have only 1 SSD. And that he psychically remove/replace with a second one. So Pressing F keys to select boot media will not help him.

Regards accessing Personal Data Files from one SSD to the other.
Did you copy/backup PuppySave from one drive to a USB Memory?
Did you try to Open the backup PuppySave? Mounting it by Double Click, or using mikes suggestion or using Uxtract?

number77

#12 Post by number77 »

bigpup wrote:
do not change anything on the ssd's.

The best you can get is booting to a boot loader menu, where you select what OS to boot.
That is not gong to be much different than changing SSD to boot from.

If you are changing what SSD to boot from, by going into the bios setup, and changing the boot device order.

Most computers have a F key you can push, just at boot start.
The computers manual says press F12.
This will bring up a selection list of drives.
Select the drive to boot.

If you must be able to boot to a boot menu and select the OS from it.

Need this info.
How is Xenialpup installed on SSD1?
As a live install or a frugal install?
If frugal install.
What boot loader is booting it?
I have looked at the save file on my original ssd. It is pretty massive and half full of rubbish so I have decided to remain with Lick on ssd2 and a clean install of xenial64 and copy as much as I want over to the new clean install.
I can keep the original ssd connected with an external usb case if I need.
So thank you all for your help, it seems more complicated than I thought.

enrique

#13 Post by enrique »

OK so I understand you made you mind. Nice.

But just in case you did not understood what bigpup said. If both you Puppy are the same. You ONLY need to move the PuppySave to your Win7 SDD and place it on same directory as the one there.

When you boot Puppy should ask you witch of the 2 PuppySave you want to boot on. You will have your old machine and the new one. That simple.

See you are a man of a few words but you are one of the good ones as you report back. Many user log in post their question and never to be seen. So we never know if help was of any good. Please feel free to ask anything you need help with are any thing you want to share with us. Enjoy the forum.

foxpup

#14 Post by foxpup »

I hope this will not cause more confusion, but ...

You do not need to install anything, just copy and some file manipulation on your pupsaves will do.
Forget LICK for now.
(By the way, after first time use, an installer is not much needed anymore.
It performs its most useful task by installing some boot installation.)

Do you want to merge the 2 pupsaves?
Or do you want to keep them apart and have 2 distinct boots?

number77

#15 Post by number77 »

foxpup wrote:I hope this will not cause more confusion, but ...

You do not need to install anything, just copy and some file manipulation on your pupsaves will do.
Forget LICK for now.
(By the way, after first time use, an installer is not much needed anymore.
It performs its most useful task by installing some boot installation.)

Do you want to merge the 2 pupsaves?
Or do you want to keep them apart and have 2 distinct boots?
No I want one boot as the second ssd is a fresh installation and contains nothing important. The first ssd has all the important stuff on it, but not win7.

number77

#16 Post by number77 »

enrique wrote:OK so I understand you made you mind. Nice.

But just in case you did not understood what bigpup said. If both you Puppy are the same. You ONLY need to move the PuppySave to your Win7 SDD and place it on same directory as the one there.

When you boot Puppy should ask you witch of the 2 PuppySave you want to boot on. You will have your old machine and the new one. That simple.

See you are a man of a few words but you are one of the good ones as you report back. Many user log in post their question and never to be seen. So we never know if help was of any good. Please feel free to ask anything you need help with are any thing you want to share with us. Enjoy the forum.
Thanks enrique but that did not work, no choice of boots. It seems to depend on if I have a save file or a save folder. It got a bit too complicated for me so I moved sideways and will plain copy all the information I need to the fresh install.

mikeslr

#17 Post by mikeslr »

number77 wrote:...so I moved sideways and will plain copy all the information I need to the fresh install.
That's actually a better idea if you're willing to spend the time.

I only use SaveFiles. [Xenialpup64-7.5 was published 4 years ago.] Over the course of time I install, upgrade, and uninstall applications. When you uninstall an application the space it used isn't fully recovered. So, when I've got nothing better to do I 'rebuild from scratch'.

I do recommend this as a step in doing so: Open Puppy Package Manager, Click "uninstall" and take a snap-shot of what you've installed: in your case, of both your setups. Then while rebuilding your SaveFile, you have a record of which applications you found useful; and which 'dependencies/libraries'* were necessary. You can also take the time to see if any of them have been upgraded or alternatives are now recommended.

Of course, while you have each of your current versions running, make sure it doesn't contain any datafiles which would otherwise be lost in the migration.

* I may remember that I installed ABC from somewhere. But I probably won't recall that to get it to run I had to install some dependencies.

number77

#18 Post by number77 »

mikeslr wrote:
number77 wrote:...so I moved sideways and will plain copy all the information I need to the fresh install.
That's actually a better idea if you're willing to spend the time.

I only use SaveFiles. [Xenialpup64-7.5 was published 4 years ago.] Over the course of time I install, upgrade, and uninstall applications. When you uninstall an application the space it used isn't fully recovered. So, when I've got nothing better to do I 'rebuild from scratch'.

I do recommend this as a step in doing so: Open Puppy Package Manager, Click "uninstall" and take a snap-shot of what you've installed: in your case, of both your setups. Then while rebuilding your SaveFile, you have a record of which applications you found useful; and which 'dependencies/libraries'* were necessary. You can also take the time to see if any of them have been upgraded or alternatives are now recommended.

Of course, while you have each of your current versions running, make sure it doesn't contain any datafiles which would otherwise be lost in the migration.

* I may remember that I installed ABC from somewhere. But I probably won't recall that to get it to run I had to install some dependencies.
mikeslr in the meantime I tried your suggestion and converted save folder to file with nic-os utility suite. That is a brilliant program. So ssd2 now works with full xenial64 and win7 too. So thanks for that. I also thanked nic007. I will get round to thinning the installation sometime.

mikeslr

#19 Post by mikeslr »

"in the meantime... converted save folder to file with nic-os utility suite. That is a brilliant program." Fully agree. "I will get round to thinning the installation sometime." I don't think that's still necessary. AFAIK, Nic007's application only copied the files, not the spaces. There may be some 'orphaned' files copied: those not removed by uninstalls. But removing them is likely a PITA, and not worth the effort.

number77

#20 Post by number77 »

mikeslr wrote:"in the meantime... converted save folder to file with nic-os utility suite. That is a brilliant program." Fully agree. "I will get round to thinning the installation sometime." I don't think that's still necessary. AFAIK, Nic007's application only copied the files, not the spaces. There may be some 'orphaned' files copied: those not removed by uninstalls. But removing them is likely a PITA, and not worth the effort.
Good news, thanks Mikeslr.