How to change MAC address? (Auto DHCP not working)

Booting, installing, newbie
kievking

How to change MAC address? (Auto DHCP not working)

#1 Post by kievking »

How do I change my laptop's mac address while running Puppy 2.11?
Auto detect DHCP isn't working on my laptop, but it works fine on my Desktop Computer with a Comcast cable connection.

Re: Mac address

#2 Post by Guest »

kievking wrote:How do I change my laptop's mac address while running Puppy 2.11?
Auto detect DHCP isn't working on my laptop, but it works fine on my Desktop Computer with a Comcast cable connection.
It's not the mac address you want to change, it's the IP address you want to set manually if DHCP is not working...
BUT I would make sure that your NIC is configured, AND working first!!!!!!
That could be your problem with the DHCP not working...

Bob 8)
kievking

#3 Post by kievking »

I manually entered the IP address, subnet mask and the gateway in the connection wizard, still no luck. I verified that my NIC works with other operating systems and Puppy indicates that my network connection setup was successful.

I was also unable to connect to the internet with windows and ubuntu until I cloned the mac address of my desktop computer. Apparently, Comcast only allows one mac address per modem, unless you pay for additional connections.

Thanks
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

That's right. I suppose your ISP will say the MAC address is to prevent someone from tapping the line and stealing your service, but it may also encourage people to buy extra connections. Still, I bet if you call your ISP and ask nicely, they will allow you to use several MAC addresses. Or you could always buy a router and share the connection that way.
GuestToo
Puppy Master

#5 Post by GuestToo »

ifconfig is Busybox, but i think you can set the mac address using it ... something like:

ifconfig eth0 hw ether 01:02:03:04:05:06

to set the mac address to 01:02:03:04:05:06

the ifconfig command could probably be put at the end of rc.local in /etc/rc.d/ ... if necessary, it could be executed after a delay of say 5 seconds like this:

(sleep 5; ifconfig eth0 hw ether 01:02:03:04:05:06)&

see: http://whoozoo.co.uk/mac-spoof-linux.htm
kievking

#6 Post by kievking »

Thanks for the info on busybox. I used ifconfig to change the mac address in Ubuntu and it worked perfectly. I tried the command "busybox ifdown eth0" in Puppy with no luck. I got the following message "etc/network/interfaces - no such file or directory". Thanks
GuestToo
Puppy Master

#7 Post by GuestToo »

ifconfig (and many other utility programs) is replaced in Puppy by Busybox

you can run busybox directly, like this:

busybox ls
busybox ln
busybox kill

but you do not need to ... all you have to do is type the name of the program, like this:

ls
ln
kill

etc etc etc

ls ln and kill are just symlinks to busybox, they are not the "real" "full" versions of those programs

and there are many other programs that have been replaced by busybox, including ifconfig ... the reason that this is important, is because the busybox replacements for the real versions of the programs can not do everything that the real programs can do

in this case, i think Busybox's ifconfig CAN set the mac address

in which case, you would type what i said to type:

ifconfig eth0 hw ether 01:02:03:04:05:06

you could run busybox directly, like this:

busybox ifconfig eth0 hw ether 01:02:03:04:05:06

but there is no point in doing this

what you did will NOT work:

busybox ifdown eth0

this is not the correct syntax for using Busybox
this WILL work:

ifconfig ifdown eth0
kievking

#8 Post by kievking »

Flash wrote:That's right. I suppose your ISP will say the MAC address is to prevent someone from tapping the line and stealing your service, but it may also encourage people to buy extra connections. Still, I bet if you call your ISP and ask nicely, they will allow you to use several MAC addresses. Or you could always buy a router and share the connection that way.
I contacted my ISP(Comcast) last week and asked if I could purchase a router from them without paying $150 for the professional installation. They said no. So, I purchased a generic router but I was unable to change it's mac address. I decided to just connect and disconnect the laptop from the cable modem since I have no intentions of using both computers at the same time anyway. I contacted Comcast again , explained my situation and got the same reply. Apparently, if I don't agree to pay for the installation, they will not provide assistance.
So, I successfully changed my laptop's mac address while running ubuntu. I'm still confused though, I don't understand why I have to change the mac address for each operating system? I must be doing something wrong??
kievking

#9 Post by kievking »

GuestToo wrote:ifconfig (and many other utility programs) is replaced in Puppy by Busybox

you could run busybox directly, like this:

busybox ifconfig eth0 hw ether 01:02:03:04:05:06

but there is no point in doing this

what you did will NOT work:

busybox ifdown eth0

this is not the correct syntax for using Busybox
this WILL work:

ifconfig ifdown eth0
Thanks, those commands worked fine on my desktop computer. Now, hopefully I'll get Puppy connected to the internet on my laptop.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

kievking wrote:....I don't understand why I have to change the mac address for each operating system? I must be doing something wrong??
It's my understanding that the whole point of the MAC address is that it is built into the hardware, so I don't see how it's possible for the OS to change it. My guess is, the ability of the OS to change a MAC address is probably an "undocumented feature" of the implementation of the MAC address idea. :lol: As to why you have to change the address for each OS, I suppose that either an OS can tell the card to return an arbitrary MAC address only while that OS is in active control, or the OS itself can answer for the card when the card is queried.
GuestToo
Puppy Master

#11 Post by GuestToo »

the MAC address is like a serial number, that is built into an ethernet card or router ... some isps check the serial number to be sure it's really you trying to connect

you might be able to change the number on some ethernet cards ... you can change some of the settings on some cards, other cards you can't

ifconfig can set what MAC number is reported when another computer on the network asks for the MAC address ... it does not really change the number in the card, it just supplies the number that you tell it to supply

the easiest way to connect 1 or more computers is usually with a hardware router ... the router connects to the isp automatically when it is turned on ... all you have to do to connect a computer to the internet is to plug it into the jack (and run the DHCP wizard if you haven't already)

the router will have a MAC address ... usually there will be a way to configure it so it will have the MAC address that you used when you signed up with the isp ... or you can tell the isp that you changed your hardware and tell them your new MAC address
cplater

#12 Post by cplater »

Flash is correct on the MAC. The whole point is for a unique hardware ID. What I am not sure of is how you are trying to connect to Comcast. You may need to set your router to auto-dhcp so it will give you a local ip address and translate it to the one given out by Comcast. Then the cable box sees only one MAC address, that of the router.
r__hughes

#13 Post by r__hughes »

cplater and Guestoo are quite correct - the normal way to connect many PCs to a cable modem is to insert a router-AP between the modem and the hardwired (ethernet) PC then spoof this PC's MAC# onto the router.
Get your router to provide local IP addresses.
Connect all your inhouse PCs to the router (ethernet/wifi) and set them up to obtain their IPs from the router and you're good to go.
Other router security considerations like firewall, wifi WEP/WPA encryption are fully described/explained in the router documentation.
Good luck -
kievking

#14 Post by kievking »

I'm sending this message from my Puppy 2.11 laptop. Thanks for all the help.

Regarding the router options, I decided to disconnect and reconnect(alternate) my computers from the cable modem since I don't plan on using both computers simultaneously. Thanks for the info anyway.
kirk

#15 Post by kirk »

Yep, changing the MAC address depends on if the driver used with your card can support it. I can change the MAC on a couple of my wifi cards, no problem with busybox. One of my cards, the rt2570, recently got a driver patch to support MAC changing. But what r__hughes posted is the way to go.
kievking

#16 Post by kievking »

GuestToo wrote:
the ifconfig command could probably be put at the end of rc.local in /etc/rc.d/ ... if necessary, it could be executed after a delay of say 5 seconds like this:

I successfully created a script to connect to the internet after Puppy boots, but the commands you suggested do not work during the boot process. I think the info at the website is Redhat specific.

#17 Post by Guest »

kievking wrote:
GuestToo wrote:

I successfully created a script to connect to the internet after Puppy boots, but the commands you suggested do not work during the boot process. I think the info at the website is Redhat specific.
I know how you feel about Commycast,, BUT they are out to make money too. :roll:
I would be more than happy to help you set up your router so you can share your internet on the home lan...

I have a DSL--Dlink Dl-604 setup to a hybrid lan thats a split 10/100, 10/100/1000 switches, with 2 servers, and a few workstations, all use the same internet IP from my ISP... :twisted:

Bob 8)
kievking

#18 Post by kievking »

FBrands wrote:
I would be more than happy to help you set up your router so you can share your internet on the home lan...

I have a DSL--Dlink Dl-604 setup to a hybrid lan thats a split 10/100, 10/100/1000 switches, with 2 servers, and a few workstations, all use the same internet IP from my ISP... :twisted:

Bob 8)
Thanks, maybe I'll buy one eventually.
kievking

#19 Post by kievking »

I found the solution in this forum. Thanks Puppy users

"I'm running Puppy 1.0.7 and the change goes right above the following comment line in the rc.network file, thusly:

ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:00:00:00:00:00
#Try to connect each ethernet interface found"
littlemathteacher

#20 Post by littlemathteacher »

I want to know how to do it in puppy 4.3.1.

I can't find the right place in rc.network to put it in.

Thank you very much. 8)