How about booting from an mp3 player?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
jaykay

How about booting from an mp3 player?

#1 Post by jaykay »

Has anyone done this?

What models have been found working

Thank you

John Doe

#2 Post by John Doe »

I've tried this in the past without luck (I think there are some posts around about this). Back around 1.0.6 or so. I had troubles.

I think the problem was some type of conflict from the internal mp3 player software starting when the device is plugged in and puppy or syslinux trying to access the device also. This may have changed in more recent versions of puppy since the kernel is different (who knows.).

It might be worth a test. Make sure you BACK UP the mp3 drive using dd first. There are files on there that make it do its thing. If you format it (and don't have a back up), your mp3 player is dead.

ChazZTheSpazZ

#3 Post by ChazZTheSpazZ »

I do believe that Mac OS can be booted (on an Apple computer of course) from an iPod, but then again what can't an iPod do? Apple owns Mac, iPod, and the hardware, so it's only logical that that particular mp3 player would work with that particular computer.

Then again, it may just be that the firmware on the mp3 player needs to be more Linux-compatible. Again, the iPod as an example: http://ipodlinux.org/Main_Page
I agree with Glenn Beck. Elmo is definately the antichrist.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#4 Post by Béèm »

A while ago, I tried with a Zen Micro, which I did configure as a 4GB removable disk. The disk is seen as vfat, but without a partition.
I can access as sda (or sdb) depending the USB port I connect it to, to store data, but I didn't succeed in booting from it.