Clock position in tray

Please post any bugs you have found
Hellfire

Clock position in tray

#1 Post by Hellfire »

Now using 2.13 and "almost" everything is operational. When first loaded, the screen was shifted noticeable to the right, cutting off the clock in the tray and a couple of icons on the desktop. Some degree of fine tuning was possible to expand the left side of the desktop with XORG. After this was accomplished, I could grab a couple of the icons that were mostly off screen on the right hand side, and place them in a visible area.

Attempting further fine tuning to move the right hand side toward the left does not appear to do anything. Only part of the clock is visible. Is there a way to edit the positions in the tray to move the clock over?

Thanks,

Hellfire

rarsa

#2 Post by rarsa »

Yes.

Edit the /root/.jwmrc-tray file
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

eMeRy

#3 Post by eMeRy »

It is not the best place for your issue... it's not a bug...

You should better tune the monitor settings in the xorg.conf file. E.g. horizontal and vertical refresh rate, depth or something. Try to modify the resolution.
Have you tried xvidtune?

That is not a solution give up a stripe on the right side of the screen...

Hellfire

Not a bug?

#4 Post by Hellfire »

"It is not the best place for your issue... it's not a bug... "

PC Magazine gives this definition of a software bug:
Definition of: software bug

A problem that causes a program to produce invalid output or to crash (lock up).

Not being able to see the entire desktop, even after tweaking XORG as far as it would allow
is a bug IMHO

marksouth2000

#5 Post by marksouth2000 »

Your description suggests that your hardware is not correctly adjusted. If using an LCD, use the auto-setup button or menu entry. If using a CRT, use the menu to move and scale the display till all is visible.

Form your syptoms, the only thing that can be wrong in software is the scan rate in your xorg.conf, but you have alreay assured us that you have tried all possible values in there. So it must be the hardware settings.

Don't bother flaming me like you did emery, who, by the way, was also trying to help you.

Mark

eMeRy

#6 Post by eMeRy »

Hellfire,
In your post you mentioned that you cannot tune the screen position and asked instruction for moving the clock on the tray, which is more crying for help then a bug report. (See the title of your post.) The other hand if it had been a really software bug, I suppose other experienced users would have reported it before. It can be that your hardware is not supported by Puppy. More likely you only need some tune of your settings.
Next please share with us some more details about your hardvare, software settings and your previous attempts to solve your problem.
eMeRy

Hellfire

Denial of bug

#7 Post by Hellfire »

You would be well advised to refrain from insulting anyone who posts a very polite description of discovering a bug.

Hellfire never "cries" for help. If one waits until many others discover an abnormality in the operation of a new piece of software, then everyone would just be sitting on their hands with their mouths shut until eternity.

It is unfortunate that all of the fine work that was put in by Barry and many other dedicated enthusiasts should be obscured by a self righteous individual who takes pleasure in denigrating others.

Goodbye

Nathan F

#8 Post by Nathan F »

This is the only post I will make in this thread. I've only ever seen a handful of conversations turn nasty in this forum in the last year and a half. You guys all better quit while you're ahead. Please play nice.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...