Installing Puppy Linux Barebones to laptop

Booting, installing, newbie
aaron2007

Installing Puppy Linux Barebones to laptop

#1 Post by aaron2007 »

Hello!
I am on dial-up. I downloaded puppy linux barebones so it wouldn't take a long time to download. I have formatted my Everex nc1500 laptop to work with puppy barebones. When I run the puppy universal installer after it finishes installing, when I restart my laptop it says OS not found. I have tried reinstalling several times, what am I doing wrong? I also need to find a linux driver for my motarola dialup modem. Where can I find one? :? :?:
SnowDog

#2 Post by SnowDog »

Hi aaron2007:
That's a pretty serious laptop for Puppy barebones.
I understand the dial-up download situation, but you'd have a much fuller experience if you d/l 2.13 (it's really not that big, but if using widows to d/l, use ftp)

Anyway, since it didn't work for you, how about booting from the cd and do it again.
This time though, tell us what you did step by step, so it will be easier for someone to help troubleshoot what went wrong. (starting with how you made and activated the partitions and what type they are).

As for the modem, is that the one that is built in to the everex?
It may be auto detected in 2.13, but I am not familiar with what detection capabilities are in barebones. (I used barebones once but it was quite a while back)
If you find my posts helpful and you want to say thanks, please consider clicking the www button under my posts to visit my website.
SirDuncan

#3 Post by SirDuncan »

I think that maybe you should try Litepup instead of Barebones. Litepup is basically a more up to date Barebones and the current version comes with all the same drivers of the full version. It is a little larger than the last version of Barebones, but baseline Puppy has gotten bigger since then, too.
As for your problem, what format is the hard drive and did you install the Grub bootloader?
I assume that you are doing a full HD install and that Puppy will be the only OS on the system. You will need to have the HDD formatted to ext2. This can be accomplished with either Parted or GParted (GParted needs Parted as a dependency, but I like GParted better. Nice and easy to use.) Then load Puppy from the CD and use the installer. It should prompt you to install Grub at some point in the install. Install Grub with all the suggested settings, except install it to the MBR instead of where it tells you to. This should solve the no OS problem. Unless, of course, you have already done all that I have mentioned and there is some other wierd problem I don't know about yet.
If you are trying to do some other type of install let me know and I will try to walk you through that as well.
Hope this helps.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath
shiningwizard

#4 Post by shiningwizard »

follow the instructions on this link. it may help. importantly, you need to reboot at times to get the changes updated. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=15105
CatmanDru

#5 Post by CatmanDru »

In case anybody was wondering like me....Everex StepNote NC1500 Specifications: CPU 1.5GHz, VIA C7-M, Display 15.4" WXGA Widescreen (1280 x 1024), 512 MB DDR2 533, HD 60 GB PATA (4200 RPM), DVD-RW/CD-RW, 5.3 lbs. It has many energy saving features, and is low-cost. If the download is the obstacle to running a full Puppy version, then please remember that forum members have been known to mail a puppy. :)
btrumble

stepnote nc 1500

#6 Post by btrumble »

Bought one of these Everex Stepnote nc1500's the other day. Nice for the price. Boot's 2.13 swiftly (KERNEL PANIC WHEN i TRIED 2.10 AND 2.12.) Out of the box limitations are sound and networking. Haven't worked too hard on the sound issue yet. Wired networking using the built-in Via Rhine II connection is absolutely impossible so far. (There are, I see, several threads on Via Rhine II problems in 2.12 and later versions of Puppy -- thus my failed attempts to boot 2.10 and 2.11) Problems with teh Atheros wireless as wel, though Windoze drivers and ndiswrapper may solve that. Given the sub-$500 price on these notebooks, once the various issues are sorted out, they will make killer Puppy machines.l