Thinking out loud about Network Printing

Using applications, configuring, problems
lickthefrog2

Thinking out loud about Network Printing

#1 Post by lickthefrog2 »

I spent the morning successfully getting CUPS up and running on my Puppy but printing via M$ LAN to a networked Brother printer. Marvelous! I heretofore had been transferring documents to other computers...

So that got me thinking. I need to solve the problem of a networked printer with about 20 computers attached to it in a computer lab. Our users are not very computer literate. Hundreds of sheets are just plain wasted.

So can I set up a Puppy with CUPS that receives print jobs over an M$ network and allows managing the print jobs by an administrator who only can use the CUPS Puppy? The printer could be attached to the network still, hopefully (see below), or possibly connected by USB cable...

AND, can I do it without the IT department knowing? That's probably the hard part...

I'm sure they won't let me set up a print server on their network... They tried to get us to adopt their printing solution which allowed an outside company to service and profit from the printers by charging the students' cards over the school network. We make a little money through cash, and use it to buy supplies. Didn't want to see that go... So we get wasted paper...a problem I hope to solve.

Any thoughts...? Thanks in advance.

- lickthefrog2