2.15CE installed to HD yet I can't remove the CD

Booting, installing, newbie
Hannge

2.15CE installed to HD yet I can't remove the CD

#1 Post by Hannge »

I am newbe, just started toying with Linux and running Puppy 2.15CE on 700 MHZ desktop PC with 192Mb Ram. It has installed and I have saved my setup to the HDD. It continually accesses the Live-CD for all executions, even after re-boot. Is this suppose to happen? This is extremely slow. I thought the SW runs from the RAMDISK and is fast? I tried to remove the CD to force it to run from the RAMDISK, and Puppy would not dismount or allow the CD drive to be open.
Do I have enough RAM?

Great Forum. I have appreciated the smart professional people helping us new linux folks out. I still am coming up to speed on the lingo and was hoping things were a little more plug-n-play. My next task is to run cups-install-v0.3a.pup and get my Lexmark Z33 printer running (assuming this speed thing gets fixed.)

Thanks.

Braden

#2 Post by Braden »

Puppy does run entirely in 128MB RAM. At least, the stock versions do.

2.15CE does not, at least not in 128MB. 256MB should be sufficient. Since you don't have that, you have a couple of options:

- Create a swap partition for it to use instead of the CD, which will be much faster.
- Install to the hard drive. This is much faster to boot and run, and is probably the best option. You'll just need enough disk space for the files from the ISO. The Puppy Universal Installer, under the Setup menu, can help you do that.

An important point before you move on is: how much of the computer does Puppy get to play with?
If it has the whole computer to itself, doing an "Option 2" or "Normal" hard drive install is better. It removes the restriction in the size of the save file, by using the hard drive instead of the save file.
If it has the partition to itself but is sharing with another OS, same as above, but be careful installing GRUB to the MBR, especially if the other OS is Windows.
If your save file is installed directly on the Windows partition, you need to select an "Option 1" aka "Poor-man's" aka "Coexist" install. It will move the files from the CD to the hard drive, but otherwise will work like a live-CD boot, with the limitation on the size of the save file. However, it will be much quicker to run than loading from the CD.

A final option would be to start over with 2.14, which is a standard Puppy rather than a Community Edition, so it's much lighter-weight and will run happily in 128MB, without using the CD all the time. But if one of the hard drive options sounds good, that would get you the (imo) newer, shinier 2.15CE and better performance as well.

Bruce B

Re: CD access

#3 Post by Bruce B »

Hannge wrote:
[cut]

I thought the SW runs from the RAMDISK and is fast? I tried to remove the CD to force it to run from the RAMDISK, and Puppy would not dismount or allow the CD drive to be open.

[cut]

Do I have enough RAM?

[cut]
You thought right. I expect it to run independent of the CD after booting.

You have more RAM than the minimum, but I don't know what release you are running. Plenty of CPU power.

It would be great if you could add some more RAM.

I just have two questions:

1. Did you close the session on the CD burn?
2. What version of Puppy did you burn?