Beer was responsible for technology

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
cthisbear

Beer was responsible for technology

#1 Post by cthisbear »

The Inquirer

A BRITISH boff working over the pond claims that humanity's first technological breakthroughs were because of the development of beer.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39004

Chris
Greystar

#2 Post by Greystar »

Actually i heard about this a while ago(maybe 7 years ago) in some insane way it does make sense(wine to beer) but i think there was more to it than just beer. :wink:
gary101

#3 Post by gary101 »

I think they invented beer because they couldn't get wine to work properly :D
Sit Heel Speak

#4 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

I remember reading somewhere, long ago, that throughout all history, every victor in clashes between two empires has always been the side which had better beer. Except one: the largest empire of all, Genghis Khan's. The Mongols' home climate was too cold to grow grains. Instead they drank fermented mare's-milk, called kumiss. However, Genghis Khan himself, late in life, said he himself preferred the red wines of the Shiraz district of Persia.

His grandson Mangu Khan, in his pavilion at Karakorum, had a fabulously elaborate two-story-tall gold-and-silver fountain, fashioned to resemble a tree, from the branch-tips of which flowed constant streams of every alcoholic beverage known to his empire. Plus fruit juices, milk, even naturally-carbonated springwater. It was made by William Bouchier, famous 13th Century goldsmith from Paris.

Since the Mongols also had a "pony express" by which ice was routinely brought from nearby mountains, I deduce that Mangu Khan's fountain-tree was, at least in theory, the original bar where a thirsty world-conqueror could order scotch-and-soda-on-the-rocks!
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Sat 21 Apr 2007, 22:45, edited 2 times in total.
John Doe

#5 Post by John Doe »

Most everything I've posted here was because of beer!!

(ok, maybe some...not most)