dual boot Puppy and DSL

Booting, installing, newbie
pohtangina

dual boot Puppy and DSL

#1 Post by pohtangina »

I have a WPC54gs and currently run DSL 3.2 with old 2.4 kernel (I guess)

Ive done endless permutations on installing it via ndiswrapper so my options now are dwindling down to
1.trying 9x drivers instead of the NT as suggested
2.updating kernel via latest DSL install
3.install PUPPY Linux (heard its better at installing wireless cards)

hardware -celeron laptop/6gb HD/128mb ram

question:
I still want to retain DSL so

-CAN I dual boot puppy with DSL in LILO?++EDIT(just found out that I can but I have to do separate partitions....)

so

can I use the same swap partition I use for DSL? or new?

pls tell me if I need to make new partitions
/currently hda1 128mb swap and 2.7gb hda2/ and 3gb inactive partition/
or overinstall in current partitions using the same swap partition and hda2 (adding the 3gb will erase my current DSL but its so easy to install I dont care)

DSL forums are not as user friendly as puppys...jut an FYI-wont let me post

RickyVaio

#2 Post by RickyVaio »

Um, I'm pretty sure you can use the same swap... I dunno about sharing the same partition for two distros... I suppose you could do a frugal install of Puppy in the DSL partition (you just need to tell Lilo where vmlinuz and the other files are), but if you have a free partition try to install it there... it should be safer, and easier to recover if you don't like it.

kirk

#3 Post by kirk »

Ricky is right. You don't need another swap partition and if you want to install to your hard drive you can do a frugal (a.k.a. coexist) install. The frugal install is just like running from the live CD. This is almost always the best way to run puppy and by far the most popular (well tested). Might search the DSL forum to see about booting DSL with Grub if LILO won't let you use the same partition. Puppy installs grub if you want it to. Also, you could just run from the live cd and put your pup_save file on the DSL partition along with the pup_216.sfs file. If puppy finds the pup_216.sfs file in the same place as your pup_save file it will load it from there. Booting will be much faster than from CD alone.

As far as removing a frugal puppy install it's just these files from the root of the partition:

initrd.gz
vmlinuz (these first two files can be put in a folder if you like)
pup_save.*sf (your save file created at first shutdown)
pup_216.sfs (The main Puppy file system)
boot (a directory, if you installed grub)

Some people just copy those files from the CD to a partition and then set up grub. But the installer will do it for you.

pohtangina

#4 Post by pohtangina »

tnx guys..I was eventually able to get DSL to do wifi...had to do it via ROOT and use the 9x drivers instead of the NT...so many misleading info in the web...so I had to uninstall via ndiswrapper and reinstall making sure that the 9x files were copied to the root directory(some site mentioned ramdisk but dsl has no such directory) then just modprobe>wlanconfig>netcardconfig (i also had to make sure that the card was in the lower slot...

anyways...

I will still remove/update to current dsl just out of curiosity....but wait....I will activate the floating 3 gig partition and install puppy...If I get @#$#@$ with DSL I will just increase the partition if I end up liking puppy...which seems to be getting more + feedback compared to DSL...im pretty sure DSL is for a special type of linux user...either way Im learning more (UBUNTU is too easy) but like I mentioned Im using a Celeron 128mb laptop and UBUNTU wont install in this thing...it takes forever/never....

again thanks guys will try to use the same swap partition and Id rather do a full install instead of a FRUGAL...

will keep you guys posted....
this forum is helpful...