Ugrade from Puppy 2.13 to ?

Booting, installing, newbie
cruzin

Ugrade from Puppy 2.13 to ?

#1 Post by cruzin »

Hi, I have a desktop with xp, suse10.2, and puppy on it. Linux and puppy are on a seperate drive from xp. I have puppy installed to hard drive, I cant remember if its full or frugal, I was giving my self more space the other day and messed puppy up. I think its time to upgrade to a later version. I have 2.17 on this notebook but Ive read that 2.15ce is a real good and stable version. What should I do? And how do I upgrade to what ever I deceide to upgrade to? I already have grub working great on the desktop I dont want to replace it. I do think that I will have to edit it. Im not real good at all this so I need somthing to read on what to plug into grub to make it see the new version and what all files I have to delete to be replaced with the newer ones. Any direction or help will be appreciated, thanks.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D
jonyo

#3 Post by jonyo »

You can try both running live cd with save files & see which one u like better before committing.

2.15 is working very well for me.
cruzin

got it done

#4 Post by cruzin »

Had to do somthing, screen was just rolling when I would try to boot up puppy so I did the puppy pfix=ram and made new partitions, formated to ext2 (wonder if ext3 is better) made partition of 77gig for puppy and a 1 gig swap. Did the full install after that, installed grub to hdb1 (puppy) and sent to mbr of the xp drive hda. Started up fine. One thing I wondered about. When I was rebooting it asked me if I wanted to save the session as it was the first time I shut down and I choose yes and gave 1.25 gig to save file, but I got to thinking and deceided not to do that. I wonder because I dont know. Why would I save it to a file in the size of 1.25 gig when I have 77 gig of space just for puppy??? I had to reset keyboard and video next start up and I guess I ll see if it make me do it this second shutdown. Thanks for suggestions. And if someone can clear up the questions on the save file at shutdown Id appreciate it. thanks agn.
HairyWill

Re: got it done

#5 Post by HairyWill »

cruzin wrote:Why would I save it to a file in the size of 1.25 gig when I have 77 gig of space just for puppy???
Because it is much easier to create a backup of a single pup_save.
Full partition is probably less widely used -> less tested -> less expert help available
I use a pup_save and then create symlinks to external directories of music, documents, photos
puppyjim

#6 Post by puppyjim »

This gives quote:"Upgrading a LiveCD (non-multi-session)
Download the latest ISO and burn it to CD.
Boot the new CD and Puppy will automatically perform any required upgrading of your personal storage file/partition (usually pup_save.2fs file).

".
Question:- I did this & the cd will not boot! (2.16 boots ok) - What am I missing here?

I've just realised I am in the wrong section - but could you respond anyway (I am < a newbie ).
jonyo

#7 Post by jonyo »

Maybe didn't do anything wrong. Should, or supposed to work but things can go wrong. Sounds like some thing's not right with the new vers burnt. Did you md5? Try it on something else?

Good idea to make a copy of a save file, in case things don't work out.
puppyjim

#8 Post by puppyjim »

Thanks for your reply.

I resolved my problem by using the iso-cd-burner in 2.16 - I would have done this earlier if I had found it (a sub-menu of Multimedia) but I was looking in the obvious places System,Utilities,Filesystems etc. It never occured to me to look in an entertainment section.

I'm late in responding because of problems with my BT-Yahoo email address; I've only just(at this very minute) managed to read my mail on my laptop( Xp!) because I've a BB connection here & my desktop(puppy) only has a very slow dial-up connection.

Thanks again for your reply
----------------------------------------------------------------
Some say good olde Jim - there are others that speak the TRUTH!
:roll: