I need a Linux I can install on a hard disk drive

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
xxsolusxx

I need a Linux I can install on a hard disk drive

#1 Post by xxsolusxx »

I want to install a small (knoppix and redhat sound like bloated behemoths) linux OS on a second HD partition that I can add to my boot options at power-up AND NOT HAVE TO USE A WAKE- or LIVEDISK

Puppy seems incapable of providing the last part (which is important, as I don't want to have to keep track of the disk to run the blasted thing; that defeats the purpose of a HD install; and w/ no burner a livedisk or frugal install means I can't cut out what i don't want- unless I try Pizzaisgood's barebones and add to it... but that still leaves the boot/disk frustration)

any recomendations?

DesertPuppy

#2 Post by DesertPuppy »

Puppy will do just what you want, all you do is run the universal installer and pick IDE HD, install it to the HD, when the Grub option comes up you can either let grub do the work or if you already have a bootloader just add puppy to it.

I have 4 HD's in my computer , the 1st HD has GRUB on it so I always skip the part about grub in the installer and just manually edit my grub menu.lst file. I run 4 puppies on it and they all boot from the Grub menu. So it sounds like puppy is just what you need, fast easy to set up and once you have it up and running it's stable and FAST.

Hope that helps

xxsolusxx

#3 Post by xxsolusxx »

it said Grub could not install to a non-linux partition (including MBE or whatever)

when i installed to the ext2, no boot option was added

very frustrating

Everitt

#4 Post by Everitt »

When it asks for Grub partition enter the partition you put puppy on, then in the next dialogue select mbr.

xxsolusxx

#5 Post by xxsolusxx »

there was no dialague after the partition option x.o

alienjeff

#6 Post by alienjeff »

Is this partition flagged as bootable?
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

Everitt, I've never installed Puppy to a hd but I believe the MBR is defined as (and assumed by the BIOS to be) residing in the first sector of the first partition of the hd. If the partition Puppy was installed on is not the first partition on the hd, I don't think Grub can be in both places (the MBR and Puppy's partition) at once. Again, I'm no expert. :)

xxsolusxx

#8 Post by xxsolusxx »

installed to same partition this time; still no grub option

can't set-up manually because it's not linux (sharing wondows)

seperate partions did nothing either :(

Sit Heel Speak

#9 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

xxsolusxx wrote:...can't set-up manually because it's not linux (sharing windows)...
Eh, I haven't found PUI to be all that puzzling. It is quite reliable.

If an ntfs partition it's tricky. If vfat, it's easy.

I'll be here for the next four hours. If you really want to do this, just describe precisely, exactly what steps you are taking and what machine+disk setup+source of Puppy files you are trying to use. Let me see if I can walk you through it. I have six Puppies on four disks, and have found PUI to be easy.

A screenshot of MUT, if you can, would help a lot (in 2.17.1 press Ctrl-Alt-P, then save to say /root/MUT.png, then add here as an attachment; or, better, simply mount all drives in MUT, then paste here the output of df in an rxvt terminal window). Also tell us how much memory you have.

Sit Heel Speak

#10 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Flash wrote:...the MBR is defined as (and assumed by the BIOS to be) residing in the first sector of the first partition of the hd.
True.
Flash wrote:If the partition Puppy was installed on is not the first partition on the hd, I don't think Grub can be in both places (the MBR and Puppy's partition) at once. Again, I'm no expert. :)
Grub is in the mbr (unless you are using grub.exe as in grub4dos) but its config file can be anywhere; grub-in-the-mbr will point to it wherever menu.lst is. Since my hdd full install on hdb2 was the first one I created, /boot/grub/menu.lst (grub-in-the-mbr's configuration file) resides on hdb2. This menu.lst has six entries for six Puppies on various partitions. It also has an entry to start Gentoo on another partition.

xxsolusxx

#11 Post by xxsolusxx »

so the progress thus far:

looks good until I choose to boot into puppy:
Booting 'Linux con /dev/hda2/'

root (hd0,1)
Filesystem type is extfs partition type 0x83 kernel /boot/vmlinux root= /dev/hd2/0 vga=normal

Error15 file not found

press any key to continue

rcrsn51

#12 Post by rcrsn51 »

You have a spelling mistake. It should be vmlinuz, not vmlinux. You also need to verify that this file actually exists on the second partition in the /boot folder.

Sit Heel Speak

#13 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Assuming that Puppy normal install is on hda2, with Windows on hda1, then hda2/boot/grub/menu.lst should be:

timeout 10
default 1

title Windows (on /dev/hda1)
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

title Puppy Linux on hda2
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2
boot

xxsolusxx

#14 Post by xxsolusxx »

Sit Heel Speak wrote:Assuming that Puppy normal install is on hda2, with Windows on hda1, then hda2/boot/grub/menu.lst should be:

timeout 10
default 1

title Windows (on /dev/hda1)
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

title Puppy Linux on hda2
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2
boot

Same error
Booting 'Linux con /dev/hda2/'

root (hd0,1)
Filesystem type is extfs partition type 0x83 kernel /boot/vmlinuz root= /dev/hda2
Error15 file not found

press any key to continue[/quote

:cry:

xxsolusxx

#15 Post by xxsolusxx »

wiped and re-installed

back to original problem

Sit Heel Speak

#16 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

xxsolusxx wrote:Error 15 file not found
Error 15 means the file, in this case vmlinuz, was not in /mnt/hdb2/boot. Can you start Puppy from the live-CD (or, from frugal install on hda1) and tell us, where is vmlinuz? Does the Puppy directory structure appear to be OK on hda2?

How did you create the new partition? GPartEd?

xxsolusxx

#17 Post by xxsolusxx »

Gpart...

and I tried another way (install to same drive)

no option to share or nopt... and grub crashed and I couldbn't find a way into windows

no reinstalling windows from a reformatted drive ...

._.

vmlinuz is in the top directory of the livecd

Sit Heel Speak

#18 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Start --> System -->Grub bootloader config

Simple

See if this gives you Windows back, and we can go from there.

wildpossum

#19 Post by wildpossum »

Flash wrote:Everitt, I've never installed Puppy to a hd but I believe the MBR is defined as (and assumed by the BIOS to be) residing in the first sector of the first partition of the hd. If the partition Puppy was installed on is not the first partition on the hd, I don't think Grub can be in both places (the MBR and Puppy's partition) at once. Again, I'm no expert. :)
Well not quite

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record

The MBR is the very first block of the disk (ignoring overlay boot managers and that sort of thing not seen now). The primary partition table is in the MBR itself. Each partition can also have boot records that the bootloader can chain to.

There is a way of chaining to puppy from the Windows bootloader and even installing everything within the Windows filesystem and not have to create any additional partitions. Perhaps this would work better than trying to understand GRUB for the OP.

http://www.icpug.org.uk/national/linnwi ... innwin.htm

xxsolusxx

#20 Post by xxsolusxx »

nothing worked and windows is a b****h to install

so i formatted and put a fully puppy install in the end >.>