Total votes: 45

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Puppy 3.00 Poll

#1 Post by Lobster »

8)
Downloaded Puppy 3.00 yet?

I always download and use the latest Puppy. Just can't help myself,
Soon I will be creating Linux Tmxxine "Bifrost" or Photon or some such based on Puppy 3.00.
How are you getting on?

Having fun yet?
You lucky dogs, you! :lol:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

keithcleaver

#2 Post by keithcleaver »

I've just upgraded to 3.00 via 2,17, and everything looks fantastic.

Just a slight problem with adding packages which I think I won't be able to solve until I get my hands on a blank CD (see here), but apart from that, a good job by everyone!

Woof Woof!
Last edited by keithcleaver on Wed 03 Oct 2007, 14:22, edited 1 time in total.

cb88

#3 Post by cb88 »

I had to vote not as good cause many thing that have worked don't work yet in 3.00 like booting with grub that was a no go for me

seamonkey thumb way down...

I came across an toshiba that won't run xorg or xvesa in puppy 2.14 2.17 and 3.00 kinda stumped on that....

I guess it is an OK realese but for me it is just a little dissapionting and certainly doesn't meet the goal of "just works" seems like that is getting harder to do....

and BTW I was leaning toward yuk the ideas are good (except for slack compatablity I currently don't like that) but the implimentation is less than great I guess barry is just stressed out...or something

on a lighter note it does indeed work faster from the live cd on my old laptop....

maybe forget slack compatablity (sure compiler and kernel compatablity and same version of libs) but not actually use slack packages use vector(faster?) or puppy compiled packages

seems to me that alot of people just boot it up and say looks good or just test what they use (even i am in that group) and if it works for them the release is great ... well what about the people that use the other stuff that just doesn't work i guess that last part is not really directed toward this release but at the testers..? well when casting your vote remember to consider the bug reports of others along with your excited delight that it just works for you...
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

Oberon85

This puppy is rockin!!

#4 Post by Oberon85 »

Have had several problems that I have posted about on these forums, with no replies.... My own fault, most likely, as when I finally find the info I need to fix a problem, it is usually here, buried somewhere.
Regardless, the only issues I had with 3.00 so far had to do with getting a pup_save file saved, before I tried to set my (not really supported i815 video) resolution to its max. After I managed to save from my Live CD, and install frugal, and boot off frugal, and reboot, (to save settings to pup_save) when I next booted, I was able to push xorg to my screen max (1024x768)

I have a feeling that my video driver (i810) won't allow me to tap to click (synaptics) when I am running at max, or may xorg won't let me. I can live with that.

Running Dell Inspiron 2500, 512M Ram, PIII 1G, 40G HD, WinXP on hda1, Puppy frugal 2.17, 3.0b1, 3.0b2, 3.0b3, and 3.00 on hda2, linuxswap on hda3, using Windows bootloader to point to a dd'd copy of my Superblock, which pushes Grub, and lets me choose which puppy to load, (or to boot windows anyway, which I have not done since I installed my first copy of puppy.) Been playing with MachBoot, puppy, and getting ready to try Slax out. Want to try elive, but can't seem to find a good iso. Am pretty sure my laptop will be exclusively puppy, as soon as I can get enlightenment to run right. (crashes every time I try to start it right now.)

Thanks to everyone who is pushing this.
--
[b]Oberon85[/b]

kanam327

puppy

#5 Post by kanam327 »

wow i just installed it a few hours ago and i do say that it is quite easy to use!nothing technical with an easy to use interface that lets you surf and go in just about 10 minutes or less.I used this because i was trying to fix my childs pc which seemed to have a busted hard disk when i recalled reading about puppy so what i did was i burned the 3.0 iso file to a cd and my kid was browsing the web at once!makes one wonder why were still stuck with ms.all i can say that its really fast and the gui is just great.

Bahurim

#6 Post by Bahurim »

I have been running it on an IBM thinkpad for a bit now. Booting from cd and saving to a thumbdrive. Installed EZpup and XFce which makes for a nice desktop! So far everything has worked with a few bugs but those are being worked out.

I don't think it is as polished as 2.17.1 but hopefully 3.0.1 will be more equivalent.

It would be a really good idea to have a longer feature freeze and do a serious bug hunt, annoyance, get everything slicked up good phase.(<---really technical huh?)

EDIT: BTW, I said "Adequate"

tlchost

Re: Puppy 3.00 Poll

#7 Post by tlchost »

Lobster wrote:8)

How are you getting on?

Having fun yet?
You lucky dogs, you! :lol:
The newest Puppy doesn't recognize my soundcard, while 2.17.1

Being the optomist, I burned the retro version...and thankfully, it recognized the siund card....BUT, when remastering it, there are no options available for xvesa.

Unless I can find a fix, I don't anticipate moving to either version of 3.0

Thom

Rhino

#8 Post by Rhino »

Puppy 3.0 recognizes and sets up my sound card on my laptop right out of the box now where 2.17 did not. I'll check out more later, but so far so good! I may boot it on 6 other computers just like mine and then I can report that it installs on 100% of my computers and see what discussion ensues ;-)
Visit the Puppy Linux Video Tutorials @ http://rhinoweb.us

notned

Puppy Poll

#9 Post by notned »

Gxine crashes and brings everything down. Back to 2.17 for me. I just wish that I'd properly backed up. On the positive side everything important was on my jumpdrive. I've been wanting to resize my partitions. I think now is my chance.

willhunt

lovin it

#10 Post by willhunt »

I really like the gslapt installer and with the old debian installer
I can install anything now getting it work........

gxine crashes on a couple of my machines but I'm thinking
it's because the drivers are not "proper" as I run some
weird iron puppy does great on them most of the time.
the xmms package found herefixes that if you need
video support also you will need Mplayer 1.08
& the codecs mencoder and your xmms video plugin
xmms-xmmplayer_0.3.3-1.tar.gz
gxine has been unstable for me the past couple of releases
I've heard puppy called erector set linux and it is! with all the
new bells and whistle's it's hard to say where pup series 3
will take us but I'm looking forward to the ride!
also thank you everyone for another fine puppy release :D
2 years of puppy and still lov'n it :shock: :D
[url=http://hostfile.org/icepak.pet]176 Icewm Themes :!:[/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/39fl3x]vlc-0.8.6c-i586.pet[/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/2q7cbp]vlc-0.8.6c-i586.pet[/url]

bite

#11 Post by bite »

looks and goes great!!!

except my new laptops compaq bios wont let it upgrade my 2.17 version permanently. Not puppies fault.

I thank Barry for putting in the work its quite a gargantuan task.

I feel he needs help with his versions rather than programmers eagerly creating fatter eye candy versions of pup.

It would be nice to focus on Barrys version so it can be a success. The size is an excellent aspect, especially for the poor communities of the world.

The only change I would make would be to make sure the start menu can be secured (to stay open) when you click on it. eg. click on menu, then say graphic, then the application I want without closing off at clicking on graphic.

Discovering puppy is like the feeling I got back in 1988 when I used an amiga to work faster than any pc or mac could dream of in video editing. heads up 2 Barry.

TheS0urce

#12 Post by TheS0urce »

I have been using Puppy 3.01 for my 2nd day and I so impressed. Sure not everything works perfectly but it's only 3.01 so it will take time. I read about Puppy in the pcbsd forum, I use desktopbsd though. So I downloaded it and tried it. I have tried ubuntu but didn't like it from day one, I have tried pclinuxos and it's pretty good also, then I tried vector linux and it is amazingly fast. With puppy linux once I booted off the dvd, connected to the net and downloaded a few packages to install I was over joyed.

I really appreciate this wonderful awesome distro.

WhoDo

#13 Post by WhoDo »

TheS0urce wrote:I really appreciate this wonderful awesome distro.
Welcome to the kennels! 8)
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

jonyo

#14 Post by jonyo »

Could we have another selection for the poll? - never tried it.