What is a swap and what to do with my usb key

Booting, installing, newbie
The Jinx

What is a swap and what to do with my usb key

#1 Post by The Jinx »

Hi i was wondering what a swap file is is it equivalent to Windows' virtual memory? Would it give me more space to install stuff?

In addition, i have a 1 gb usb key and i was wondering if i could be able to partition it so i can have one partition with the bootup OS and then use the remainder as extra memory.

Bruce B

Re: What is a swap and what to do with my usb key

#2 Post by Bruce B »

The Jinx wrote:Hi i was wondering what a swap file is is it equivalent to Windows' virtual memory?
I think that's a fair comparison.
Would it give me more space to install stuff?
Its not designed for that purpose. And its contents disappear each boot.
In addition, i have a 1 gb usb key and i was wondering if i could be able to partition it so i can have one partition with the bootup OS and then use the remainder as extra memory.
This is highly discouraged because it will shorten the life of the flash key.

Please say, how much physical memory do you have?

The Jinx

#3 Post by The Jinx »

I have 512mb physical memory but it is shared memory with my Radeon Xpress200 video card so I technically have like 384mbs of physical ram. Once i boot up puppy only like 135mbs is shown to be free. I want to install the game Dofus on puppy 3.01 and the whole file is like 150mbs or so.

Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

The Jinx wrote:I have 512mb physical memory but it is shared memory with my Radeon Xpress200 video card so I technically have like 384mbs of physical ram. Once i boot up puppy only like 135mbs is shown to be free. I want to install the game Dofus on puppy 3.01 and the whole file is like 150mbs or so.
And you want to run on a flash stick.

I think you'll be fine with the physical memory.

Just make sure to have a big pup_save file. How big? Depends on how much applications you plan to add. 512 to 1024 MB range I guess.

I think you could actually make a swap file on your USB for those rare times when you run out of RAM, but I don't expect you to run out of RAM often at all, if at all. That's why I think a swap file would be okay. 384 MB is quite sufficient for good ole Puppy.

The Jinx

#5 Post by The Jinx »

What would you recommend me to do if i want to use puppy linux on multiple computers but want to keep my data and not run it like a normal live cd. Meaning i would like to do some work at home on my desktop and like bring it to college to type up my papers and stuff. I don;t have enough ram at home to run my puppy linux with the current programs i have installed in it but i could run it in the college computers.

Bruce B

#6 Post by Bruce B »

By 'my data' is guess you mean your user files.

If so, maybe you can improvise something.

How about an intermediate storage system, something like a second USB Flash?

Or a remote FTP server you have access to.

Or ?

cb88

#7 Post by cb88 »

dofus probably doesn't even need to be in the pupsave does it? no use putting it in there just copy it to your flash drive and run it....
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

Bruce B

#8 Post by Bruce B »

The question and situation is valid. As I understand the criteria:

1) want to be able to access user files from any work environment

2) can't boot the same Puppy from all the work environments

3) user files must have a physical storage location

4) the storage location must be available from any work environment

----------------------

The answer of storing them on a second USB flash device is doable - provided all the work environments support USB.

This doesn't say or imply the user files need be copied to/from the pup_save filesystem, or even ever exist there. If the user files were placed in pup_save, that might also involve a process of keeping the files in sync and I don't see an advantage to that.

Keeping the files on a second device accessible from all working environments is practical, or at least should be configured to be practical.

The Jinx

#9 Post by The Jinx »

Thanks Bruce I think I might take your advice and just save "my data" on a flash drive. I was trying to aim for having everything on one form of media but I guess this will suffice.