How to: create a "hide task bar" button in icewm

Using applications, configuring, problems
Marco_Inge

How to: create a "hide task bar" button in icewm

#1 Post by Marco_Inge »

I would like to create a "hide task bar" button to icewm taskbar, in order to be able to hide it quickly when seeing a movie or a presentation full screen.

Is it possible? Now I have to go to Icewmconfig, select the option and restart icewm, but I would like to automate it.

Thanks for your help.

Marco

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#2 Post by Béèm »

If you go in IceWM config there is an option for autohide.
Doesn't this work?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Marco_Inge

#3 Post by Marco_Inge »

Yes, it works fine.

But I was wondering if instead of opening Icewmconfig using the menu, selecting the autohide option, closing Icewmconfig and restarting Icewm it would be possible to create a script automating this procedure making it a single click.

WhoDo

#4 Post by WhoDo »

Marco_Inge wrote:Yes, it works fine.

But I was wondering if instead of opening Icewmconfig using the menu, selecting the autohide option, closing Icewmconfig and restarting Icewm it would be possible to create a script automating this procedure making it a single click.
Autohide is set by a parameter in /root/.icewm/preferences, which is a text file. Tronkel's icewinconfig utility simply changes that parameter and forces a refresh of the window manager. You could do the same from a script, provided you were careful to make a backup of the file first in case you need to recover from a corruption. Alternatively, you could just drag and drop the /usr/share/applications/icewinconfig.destop file to your desktop, and give it an icon and you'd have pretty much the same functionality.

IceWM used to have a taskbar hide button, but that seems to have disappeared quite some time back. Here is a recent lament on that subject.
Sourceforge.net Forum wrote:I've been using 1.2.16 right
along but have recently tried 1.2.20 and then reverted
to 1.2.16. Apparently the change occurred in 1.2.17.

Could it be a compile-time option to disable the 'hide
taskbar' button and is there a way to either more
precisely control taskbar element placement or to put
it back like it was?
Hope that helps
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Marco_Inge

#5 Post by Marco_Inge »

Thanks, I'll try it!