songbird and java on wnop?

Booting, installing, newbie
topjohn

songbird and java on wnop?

#1 Post by topjohn »

i am running wnop with wobblies thanks to everyone on the wnop/compiz thread. i would like to install some type of music manager and i have read songbird seems to fit all my needs. is there anyone who has succesfully installed songbird on wnop?

SirDuncan

#2 Post by SirDuncan »

Here are the packages you need for Songbird:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 31&t=21449
There is actually a new version of Songbird out (the link is to .3pre and they now have .3 out), but I haven't made it into a DotPet yet. It shouldn't make any difference for you.

Songbird does not need Java. It does need Gstreamer and liboil, but those are available from the link I gave.

Let me know if you encounter any difficulties.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

topjohn

#3 Post by topjohn »

thanks sirduncan. i came across your post in a search. i tried installing in the order you mentioned. i came up with a bunch of dependancy errors. ignoring those and continuing started a stream of error messages that wouldn't let use songbird until i cleared them all. i'm using wnop, which doesn't have mozilla installed (it has opera as default browser) i think you mentioned that mozilla is necessary for some of songbirds critical dependancies? at any rate i tried to install mozilla from the pup packages and got a bunch more errors and songbird still didn't work.

SirDuncan

#4 Post by SirDuncan »

It doesn't require Mozilla, it actually is a Mozilla based application like Firefox or Seamonkey. Songbird will actually double as a browser. That said, it would have the same dependencies as Firefox, so if any of those were excluded then there would be a problem.

I hadn't installed Songbird under wNOP (you have to love the wobbily goodness) yet because I still have all of my music stored in my 2.17 save file. I'll give it a try and let you know what I come up with.

EDIT:
I loaded up a fresh wNOP system from CD and proceeded to install all the packages. There were more dependency errors than I remembered from my testing on 2.17, but it ran fine. It might be missing some libraries for different kinds of media, but it played my test mp3.

Thinking that it might be that the packages on the server are bad, I got into a fresh setup again and downloaded them. I installed them and added the test mp3 to my library. Then I hit play and began to hear the wonderful Jonathan Coulton singing "Code Monkey".

In short, I don't know what's wrong. It's not a problem with missing dependencies in wNOP. Try downloading the packages again to see if it is a corrupt download.

If that doesn't work, I need to know the following: Does it not even come up with the license agreement screen? Does it actually crash, or does it just hang? If it crashes, what is the fatal error?

One other distant possibility is that it is a hardware problem. Try booting from CD and installing the packages. If it works this way, then we know it is not a hardware problem and that it is a conflict with something you have installed on your save file/HD (depending on install type).
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath