How to install gtk, themes?

Using applications, configuring, problems
jconstein

How to install gtk, themes?

#1 Post by jconstein »

hi everyone. I have been using puppy 3 for a couple of weeks with some older machines. great distro! I was curious about a few things that I can't seem to find out on the forums.
1. how do you get the nicer smooth GTK themes on regular puppy like pizza's?

2. where do you install gtk themes and how do you access them?

if this is at all possible, thanks for the help...

WhoDo

Re: a nicer gtk theme

#2 Post by WhoDo »

jconstein wrote:hi everyone. I have been using puppy 3 for a couple of weeks with some older machines. great distro! I was curious about a few things that I can't seem to find out on the forums.
1. how do you get the nicer smooth GTK themes on regular puppy like pizza's?

2. where do you install gtk themes and how do you access them?

if this is at all possible, thanks for the help...
Search the forum for MU's Gtk-Theme-chooser and install that. When you have found a Gtk theme you like, place it in /usr/share/themes and MU-Gtk-Theme-chooser will pick it up so you can select it.

Alternatively, download EZpup-3.01 from the wiki and install that. It comes with MU's theme chooser, an X11 cursor selector, IceWM window manager and themes, a whole host of icons and wallpapers. It's a single-click look-and-feel upgrade.

Hope that helps.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

jconstein

thank you

#3 Post by jconstein »

hey whodo,
thanks for that little tip. I did just go for the EZpup. very cool program.
I've been using linux for a couple of years now so I don't mind tinkerin around with programs and such but it is aweful nice when one just works.
so next, just toclarify, if I download a gtk theme tar.gz and unpack it. I just drop the gtk folder into /usr/share/themes folder?

WhoDo

Re: thank you

#4 Post by WhoDo »

jconstein wrote:so next, just toclarify, if I download a gtk theme tar.gz and unpack it. I just drop the gtk folder into /usr/share/themes folder?
Yep. Then you can use the theme chooser to make it the active theme. No need to restart X either. I just keep a Rox window open and swap them around to see what I like. I also like to mess with the icons directory in themes, too.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

sallyxi

#5 Post by sallyxi »

yeah,WhoDo,you are correct,your way can work.