What partitions, sizes do I need to install Puppy on HD?

Booting, installing, newbie
6tr6tr

What partitions, sizes do I need to install Puppy on HD?

#1 Post by 6tr6tr »

I want to install Puppy on a 6G (really 5.59) harddrive, 190 MB RAM as the only OS. I erased everything using (using dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=10M). Then I set the disklabel to MSDOS using GParted.

I'm now about to partition the harddrive and I was wondering what partitions to make and what sizes they need to be.

Do I need a swap? Are these OK (the right partitions AND sizes)?

Code: Select all

/dev/hda1    /        ext3    Primary      2 GB
/dev/hda2   /home     ext3    Primary      3GB
/dev/hda3   swap      swap    Extended   .59 GB
Thanks!
shadow

hi

#2 Post by shadow »

I cant figure this out either and it seems that no one has the answer for me.
muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

@6tr6tr,

puppy can be installed to a hard drive either frugally, or as a full install. I've forgotten what the absolute minimum hard disk space puppy needs is, but it's something like 500Mbytes+ for a full, and about half this for a frugal. I've never bothered creating a separate home partition. Plus I think your swap partition only needs to be, say, 250Mbytes.

You might like to have a squizz at the install section, of Oli's online manual:

http://www.puppylinux.org/manuals/puppy ... ll-puppy-0
paulh177

Re: hi

#4 Post by paulh177 »

shadow wrote:I cant figure this out either and it seems that no one has the answer for me.
I think that's probably because there isn't a single definitive answer, and there is anyway more than one question tied up in a bundle. And depends on how you want to organise your disk space. And depends on what kind of install you want to do.
So for instance if you want to install (assume say a full hard disk install) a basic puppy with no extra packages then a half-gig partition or so is likely to be fine; you can partition the rest of the disk how you like for data. But first you need to think about what you want to do.
as for swap partition sizing, search the forum and you'll find lots of advice suggestions and contrary views. It gets endlessly debated.
paul
harryh

#5 Post by harryh »

Hi 6tr6tr

I agree with muggins.
Skip the home-partition and reduse the swap.

Regards Harryh