How do I get files off a usb stick?

Booting, installing, newbie
6tr6tr

How do I get files off a usb stick?

#1 Post by 6tr6tr »

I just attached a USB stick to puppy linux 4 (which is installed on the HD) but can't figure out where to get files from it.

6tr6tr

#2 Post by 6tr6tr »

Never mind, figured it out. Just mount the drive.

nmwinow

#3 Post by nmwinow »

6tr6tr you are way ahead of me. I already knew I needed to mount the drive, but I'm searching the forum because I can't figure out how to do that. How did you do that?

6tr6tr

#4 Post by 6tr6tr »

nmwinow wrote:6tr6tr you are way ahead of me. I already knew I needed to mount the drive, but I'm searching the forum because I can't figure out how to do that. How did you do that?
On the desktop there's an icon of a USB stick named "mount". Make sure you plug the USB stick in and wait a few seconds for the USB to register, then click "Mount" and you'll see it show up with a button next to it named "Mount". Click that and it'll open up the folder for you.

erikson

#5 Post by erikson »

You can also use
Menu > Filesystem > Pmount

That shows all available devices and partitions and their present mount status.
[size=84][i]If it ain't broke, don't fix it.[/i] --- erikson
hp/compaq nx9030 (1.6GHz/480MB/37.2GB), ADSL, Linksys wireless router
[url]http://www.desonville.net/[/url]
Puppy page: [url]http://www.desonville.net/en/joere.puppy.htm[/url][/size]

brymway

#6 Post by brymway »

I always use the way 6tr6tr said. That's how I mount hard drives to navigate thru them also. Once you click on the usb icon, you'll get a window that comes up and it lists the drives that are accessible at that time. Click the box to the right of the drive you want to access and the window will reload with a little graphic showing that the drive is mounted. Click on that box and a window will open up displaying the drive contents. Puppy is so fabulous that to move files from one place to another, just drag and drop. Beautiful. Another cool thing is when you drag and drop it gives you the option to copy the file or move the file. I like that because I use a "customized" stock version of 3.01 and keep all my files on a usb to take with me and use on other computers. So I can copy the files wherever while still keeping the file on my usb as well. Once you're done with the drive, get in the habit of unmounting it. You need to unmount the usb drives before you remove them from the computer or you might mess them up.

nmwinow

#7 Post by nmwinow »

It worked just like you guys said it would. but then I tried to look at my hard drive (I'm booting from a usb) and it doesn't show up in the pmount window. What then?

brymway

#8 Post by brymway »

You don't have anything that says "hdxx"? (ie hda1,hda2, hda3,hdc) I might try
to open gparted and just see[/i] if it recognizes the hard drive. I might also try to get there using the terminal.