TigerPup

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
dinky

Updated to version 1.6

#61 Post by dinky »

Had royally stuffed up...lol. Fixed now, go to http://www.curiouslegends.com.au/tigerpup/current for TigerPup version 1.6. Am uploading now, so try in another hour or so.

I had edited poorly the /root/.packages folder. I've left it how it was originally apart from Petget working you'll be able to see all the packages I added to create TigerPup from wNOP 0.2. While probably a good thing for development, can anyone tell me how to change this? Ideally, when someone opens PetGet from a clean install, they should only see the packages on the left to add, not what's already installed.

Other updates:
-pburn updated from 0.4 to 1.8.0
-TigerMac theme added. Similar to Mac OSX, this gives traffic light window buttons in top left hand corner when using emerald. I like it! Old version of emerald still retained in the Emerald Theme Manager.
-PetGet icon replaced with standard icon (there you go Lobster). Haven't found a good one yet for Puppy Software Installer, any suggestions?

Nothing else major. Am wanting to update hotpup, though haven't worked out how to customize it to Xfce. It is very unreliable at the moment, and the new fixes look great. This will be coming soon. If anyone can give me any tips on doing this, that would be great.

Otherwise, happy TigerPupping, and enjoy!
~dinky

nic2109

Re: Updated to version 1.6

#62 Post by nic2109 »

dinky wrote:Had royally stuffed up...lol. Fixed now, go to http://www.curiouslegends.com.au/tigerpup/current for TigerPup version 1.6.

Otherwise, happy TigerPupping, and enjoy!
~dinky
Thanks. Downloading as I type, but it's running v slow today at around 90 kb/sec.

Have you considered putting the changes in a "Deltas" file using xdelta? It would save downloading the whole .iso again for just a few Megabytes of fixes/improvements.

I believe that tombh uses xdelta for wNOP so maybe he could help with the "how to" knowledge.
[color=darkblue][b][size=150]Nick[/size][/b][/color]

dinky

#63 Post by dinky »

It's a good idea, and I'll look into it. However changes are happening so fast right now with TigerPup that it might be better to use this for future releases when the project becomes more stable, and slows down a bit. I'm also still figuring out what I'm doing. I'm fairly sure I could have made a pet package for the files neded to fix things, but it's good to be showing recent work anyway to get feedback on. Lol. Love pburn 1.8.0, and really like the new theme. Anyway, all that aside, thanks for geing a part of this, and enjoy the latest release.

Cheers,
~dinky

nic2109

#64 Post by nic2109 »

dinky wrote:It's a good idea, and I'll look into it. However changes are happening so fast right now with TigerPup that it might be better to use this for future releases when the project becomes more stable, and slows down a bit. I'm also still figuring out what I'm doing. I'm fairly sure I could have made a pet package for the files neded to fix things, but it's good to be showing recent work anyway to get feedback on. Lol. Love pburn 1.8.0, and really like the new theme. Anyway, all that aside, thanks for geing a part of this, and enjoy the latest release.

Cheers,
~dinky
That's fine! One more suggestion (for now); it would be helpful for everyone to post the md5 checksum value alongside each .iso file. In that way the integrity of the download can be verified easily.

dinky

#65 Post by dinky »

Agreed, I'll start posting the right link. The official download link is through the puppy wiki: http://www.puppylinux.org/downloads/puplets/tigerpup

The md5sum is always there. I might start posting it as a text file on my site too, thanks for the advice. Cheers.
~dinky

Troll

#66 Post by Troll »

@Troll:
Try again matey, I was updating the packages last night, and you probably tried to download when they weren't there.
Hello, sorry I didn't see your answer.

I finally managed to download it with a higher-rating connection, maybe the server brokes the connection with the client when a certain time has passed...

But if on my recent desktop computer it works perfectly (even if I get no sound...), when I test it on my old laptop (dell latitude LS), I receive this error, while computer is on the screen "Booting Puppy Linux..." :
Searching for Puppy files in computer disk drivers...pup_301.sfs not found, dropping out to initial ramdisk console...
/bin/sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
I saw someone is having the same issue on Puppy 4 on this forum but I lost the thread link, and there wasn't any reply.

Thanks in advance to anybody that would have an idea :D

nic2109

#67 Post by nic2109 »

I'm sorry to say this but I have another bug to report.

If I try to print a PDF document in ePDFView it offers me a choice of printers: CUPS (preselected); or my actual printer. Choosing CUPS opens a PDF Writer window and wants me to save as a PDF document. But if I select the actual printer it straight away crashes ePDFView - poof, gone!

Now this could be a TigerPup problem, or a wNOP problem, or a NOP problem, or even an ePDFView problem but I'm afraid that I have no idea how to tell.

dinky

#68 Post by dinky »

@ Nick

Hi matey, firstly, all problems are TigerPup problems, if that's where you're working! Secondly, please don't ever be sorry about submitting a bug!!! There are lots of them, and there's no way I can find them all myself. The more you can find, and we can solve, the better a project TigerPup will be.

Re your printing problems, that's really odd. Which version of TigerPup are you using? I'm in 1.6, and have just tried without any problems to print several pdf documents from epdfview. No crashes, prints perfectly.

What printer are you using? I would try deleting your printer, then reinstalling it through the cups printer wizard again. Let me know if this works. Otherwise, start posting away in some of the printing forums... I suspect this is likely an issue with cups and your printer, rather than TigerPup's setup, if only because it's working fine for me. Let me know how you go.

@ Troll
That's really weird. How are you booting TigerPup? Is it from a frugal install, or from the cd? If it's from the cd, try using

Code: Select all

puppy pfix=ram
on initial bootup, and let me know what you get. If it's not from cd, you might have an issue with your grub or lilo config. Sounds like TigerPup can't find the sfs files. Let me know.

Troll

#69 Post by Troll »

That's really weird. How are you booting TigerPup? Is it from a frugal install, or from the cd? If it's from the cd, try using

Code: Select all

puppy pfix=ram
on initial bootup, and let me know what you get. If it's not from cd, you might have an issue with your grub or lilo config. Sounds like TigerPup can't find the sfs files. Let me know.
Hi Dinky,

I will try this command as soon as I can and give you its response, thanks ! :)

Troll

#70 Post by Troll »

I tried sur puppy pfix=ram command but this is not working too, although, I can't see the error message since the "Booting Puppy Linux" screen doesn't disapear, I just see the cursor of the console that went on the next line and blinked, but it is all that I can see.

I think the message is the same since the two first times I tried to boot TigerPup (without the command pfix), the same thing happened, and I was lucky the time when I was able to get the message and put it here.

EDIT : I finally managed to get the fucking message, and it's the same, pup_301.sfs not found etc...

cthisbear

#71 Post by cthisbear »

Troll

#72 Post by Troll »

Thanks, I posted here because I was said on the other that here was the place :)

d.preed

It's pretty much off-topic I guess, but:

#73 Post by d.preed »

Just wanted 2 let ya know, that I'm rly amazed about having the Twonky Media Server (streaming software server for client multimedia boxes, see more on http://www.twonkyvision.com/) up and running in less than 5 minutes :D on TigerPup 1.6 (What I'm totally in love with, even though I never figured out how 2 get 3D acceleration 2 work with my ATI X1950 pro and missing 'wobbability' though). So finally I'm totally into puppy, coz this was the last reason 4 me to keep M$ running on one of my PC's. Already tried a lot of distros, including several Debian versions (what I'd still prefer if it wasn't 4 Puppy), some of Suse's, (K)&ubuntu, Red Hat, Knoppix, DSL, Slackware etc..., and I just can't understand, why my overall favourite Puppy is only ranked 16 on distrowatch.com :?

dinky: absolutely great job! (especially considering usability ^^)

gosh, alot of ()'s :oops:
'd.preed

dinky

#74 Post by dinky »

@ Troll

Seen your other forum, bummer you're having so much trouble with TigerPup on your other computer. While I'm not sure what your problem is, it well may be your system Ram. Firstly, TigerPup was never designed to run on machines that scanty on Ram, and providing you do get it to boot, it will be running very, very very slow. I recently reworked a friend's computer with similar stats, and ended up using a install of NOP instead. If you want to get puppy working on that pc, don't use TigerPup, and consider a full install. TigerPup is designed for pc's with at least 256 Mb of ram.

Happy to help out getting features from TigerPup going on your old machine (dockbar and such), but for now, try booting a different distro, and seeign how you go. NOP is the closest to TigerPup, though some other ones look very cool also. (BuddaPup, Puppy4, etc.)

@ d.preed
Glad you like it! Let us know if you get the graphics card working how you did it, I'd love to add it to a how to. Also, what do you use twonky for, and why is it so great? Can you give us a rundown of it, and how you got it installed? Cheers!
~dinky

Troll

#75 Post by Troll »

Ok so, I will try Puppy 4 or NOP, but what's NOP ? I didn't see it anywhere.

edit : I finally found what was NOP, thanks ! :)

d.preed

#76 Post by d.preed »

Twonky was my final step out of windose dependancy, that's why it's great ;)

No, seriously:
a few years ago I decided 2 dislike my DVD player, since I'm a lazy azz when I come home from work:
1. stand up from the couch -ouch-,
2. walk to the DVD rack,
3. start looking 4 a special movie,
4. smoking a cigarette in the meantime,
5. finally finding the movie, opening the case,
6. putting it into the DVD player,
7. walking back to couch,
8. sitting down again,
9. goin' through all the uninteresting menu stuff,
10. smoking another cigarette in the meantime,
11. noticing that the main movie isn't playable because of some nasty scratches on the DVD surface,
12. cursing a bit,
13. throwing the remote control across the room
14. see 1....
.... 247. finally finding a movie that my ol' dirty DVD player is capable of playing

So I bought a ZyXEL DMA 1000 Media set top box, connected it to a W-LAN router that I had in spare, set up everything, converted all my DVD's to XviD .avi's and reduced all the above to:
1. push 3 buttons on my remote control
2. watching the selected movie

The only disadvantage was, that the supplied media server software (DiXiM or something like that) was Windose only, not working properly with wine, so I had 2 keep a M$ PC running -.-
Now, inspired by your really lovely TigerPup, I've been digging a bit and found Twonky Media, which was a piece of cake to 'install'. Just unzipped the archive to an installation path of my choice, started it via terminal, set up some shared folders, hooked it up as an autostart app and started watching TV from a linux based media server :)

By now I got VLC and Firefox installed (I know, they're huge, but hey, I like 'em), but it's still a long way 2 make it 'mine', need less work 'n' more time... :wink:
Attachments
custom_BG_18.jpg
(65.17 KiB) Downloaded 1241 times

dinky

#77 Post by dinky »

Good on 'ya, as we say in Oz. Really graet screenshot, and am impressed with the effort you've taken to get past MS dependency...lol. I'm wanting to find some more desktop backgrounds with Tiger's int hem for the next release. Anyone have anything to suggest? Also I'm planning on redesigning the splash screen that appears with 'Booting Puppy Linux' on startup. I want to Tigerfy it. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

I'm Just north of Sydney, Australia right now, having driven up (13 hours) last Wednesday. VERY wet! Spent the first night in a place called Dangar Island, about an hours drive north of Sydney on the Hawkesbury River. Was selling a rowboat I bought here years ago, and was a good excuse to come and see my family. So got in to the town on the mainland after a 13 hour drive, went to the local pub to get a hand unloading my boat, got it into the water, then rowed across in one of the truly biggest downpours I've ever seen. Pissing down rain, I was drenched to the skin before I got onto the water...lol. Was good to be back on the island...lol.

Am typing this on the mainland again at my parents house, looking and putting TigerPup on their box tomorrow (writing this from a usb, with Tiger of course). So nice to be away on vacation, but can't wait to get back to my family! Oh yeah, and my theatre company, and ongoing projects...lol.

Anyway, will keep you up to date with TigerPup. Looks like we'll have hotpup updated soon, and d.preed, great news! Pburn 1.9.0 is out, and looks like dvd copying and shrinking has been added! Not that anyone here would pirate movies of course... Will be updating TigerPup again soon. Cheers!
~dinky

puppyluvr

#78 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Tigerpup rocks!! :D
I tried for a while to keep Ciaro Dock running on wNOP, (it stacks and everything), but it always got unstable and killed X eventually.
I didnt try wbar, and now I dont have too. Have Tigerpup frugal installed on my main machine, and I love it.. 8) 8) 8) .
Questions:
How did you get Opera to keep Bookmarks and Speed Dial
intact thru the remaster?
Is there a way to make wbar hide ALL the way. Im at 1024
resolution and the top 1/4 or so of them is still visible. Im going to install the patch on my Macpup install and Id like to fix it there too..
How do you like my Tiger???
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

dinky

#79 Post by dinky »

Hi puppyluvr, your tiger looks great. Could I get a copy of your desktop background? I'll add it to TigerPup's for the next release. I'm thinking of collecting a bunch of different backgrounds people love, and having them available as add ons.

Re wbar, as far as I know there is no way for it to hide completely. I'm using the patched version for TigerPup as I think it's cooler. Wbar is a very simple project, though very effective. I've no idea if there are plans for added functionality, though I'd love to hear about them if there are. Maybe you could track down the author, Warlock, and ask him? You can find more info about him and other things he's written on the web. See how you go.

I thought Cairo-dock was very cool, though too unstable for my uses. Also, it relies on Compiz-Fusion, which would then mean TigerPup could not work on box's that don't support it. I'm very happy with Wbar.

Re the remaster process, that's easy. The remaster process cleans up your /root folder, where all your settings are. To keep your settings, you need to copy them into your new root folder during the remaster process. One of the first dialogues tells you that your new root folder is in /tmp/root and that you can add things to it. I usually drag my /root folder into my /tmp folder, automatically adding everything from /root to /tmp/root. This will add EVERYTHING! So then I go through and delete any data I DON'T want in there, personal documents, etc. This is how TigerPup has preferences, bookmarks and such already set.

Just got an updated version of HotPup that I'm about to test, and there are a few other goodies in the works. The next release in in the works, though I think it will be a bit longer this time. Has anyone tried Qemu-Puppy? I'm thinking about reworking this so that TigerPup can also run within Windows in Qemu. Think this might be useful for some people. Also, anyone have any luck with backdrops for TigerPup's desktop, or other pictures of tiger's? Cheers.
~dinky

puppyluvr

@QemuPuppy

#80 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Yes, I use Qemu on my windows install to try out new distros, it works good.
I just edit the .bat file to point at the current distro im trying, (not just Puppy, Ive run Knoppix in Qemupuppy, as well as many other distros..)
Unfortunately, Qemu only runs xvesa, so Compiz is obviously out...Enlightenment will
work though, at least E-16 did, never tried E-17.
If they ever get xorg in Qemu that would be the sh** though..
QemuTigerPup, now that would turn some dozers heads, huh!!!!
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...