TigerPup

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
dinky

#81 Post by dinky »

I'll look into it when I get some more time. As far as I know there isn't any virtualization software that will support Compiz-Fusion... I'll keep looking though. I think Qemu, or something similar, could be a great backup for TigerPup when travelling... if you can't get it to boot directly (and use Compiz-Fusion, etc), then at least you could run it in MS Windows, still having access to all your files etc. Will let you know how it goes. Cheers.
~dinky

d.preed

#82 Post by d.preed »

dinky, you really sould consider having a hairdryer at hand wherever you go :D

Qemu: pretty stable, but hell, sloooooow :/

Virtualbox is quite the faster solution, but: not gpl compliant and leaves some (minor) traces on the host system -.-

*sigh* ... just ignore all the above, I'm just way 2 tired, talkin bs

Here's my current wallpaper, as zipped .xjt file (open with gimp and save as .png)
Attachments
TigerBG.tar.gz
(165.14 KiB) Downloaded 320 times
Custom_BG_21.gif
(79.35 KiB) Downloaded 779 times

cb88

#83 Post by cb88 »

double post
Last edited by cb88 on Fri 13 Jun 2008, 04:16, edited 1 time in total.
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

cb88

#84 Post by cb88 »

qemu + kqemu kernel module runs at usable speed .... taints your kernel in the process but it already was if you have the nvidia driver anyway so what is there to lose...

kqemu wasn't free untill a while back when the qemu developer opensourced it..... and evenually gpled it actually i believe rudy puppy was one of the very first distros to ship with it with special permission from the developer fabrice bellard i think is name is.....

in any case virtualbox is actually based on qemu also virtualbox will eventually support opengl at the very least althought what form it will take is not 100% certian
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

shri

(closing minimize maximize) option problem

#85 Post by shri »

hi
when i am open web browser (opera) or Terminal or any other application when i press Alt+tab twise a time then suddenly closing option in right side is goen what i am do.isn't a theme problem or any other.
when ( closing minimize maximize) option is goen i restart the pc or click on /root/.xinitrc the problem were fix it.

dinky

#86 Post by dinky »

@ shri
Hi shri, I'm having a hard time understanding you. What is it you are having problems with? I understand you are having some difficulty, and it seems to be that something is closing, or crashing, when it's not supposed to. You press alt+tab twice and your applicationn closes? Then you have to restart X to fix this? Could you be a little more specific? If Compiz-Fusion is crashing, then you can click the worm icon on the top panel, wobble fairy (bless tombh and his scripts) to fix this. Pressing alt+tab cycles through open windows. Could you please describe your problem more clearly? If English isn't your first language, keep at it, and we will get there eventually. Welcome to TigerPup!

@d.preed
Love that wallpaper, thanks! Keep them coming, it's great to find all these tiger pics. When I get some more time I'll put them in the next release. Also, I really like Virtualbox, what "minor traces" are left on the host system?

@cb88
Thanks for your background about qemu, it's really interesting. Will look more into it soon.

So my preference currently would be to virtualize TigerPup under virtualbox, though I don' thave the slightest idea how I'd do this on a usb stick. I guess the first step is to take a look at the qemu puppy project, and see if I can alter this for TigerPup. Bit of a bummer if it will only use xvesa, VirtualBox can utilise xorg, though none of the 3d effects will work. Anyone got any ideas on this? The main point is a portable TigerPup that will work within Windows, for those times when we can't reboot the pc directly into TigerPup.

shri

Hi to all

#87 Post by shri »

Hi to all
i am useing tigerpup it's very nice.i am also useing many other flavoure of puppy linux but they dont have any 3d grafics like as tigerpup.
please tell me how can i install this MAC os look theme or where can i download this theme.
thanks.

shri

Thanks A lot

#88 Post by shri »

Thanks a lot dinky.
To click on Wobble Fairy(Fixea Compiz-Fusion crashes) the problem is slove.
I am useing tigerpup it's very nice.i am also useing many other flavoure of puppy linux but they dont have any 3d grafics like as tigerpup. tigerpup is very good & good grafical effect i have didn't since before.please tell me any special about application webbrowser network configuration & theme's how can i install this MAC os looks theme or where can i download this theme.
thanks.

dinky

#89 Post by dinky »

Hi shri, glad you like TigerPup. It is based on wNOP, which is where the 3D effects come from. wNOP is configured differently, and looks more like Windows XP.

The Mac OS theme? Well, for starters all I'm using is a theme for Emerald, the windows manager under Compiz-Fusion. I got it from Xfce look. If you google that and search for Mac OSX you'll find heaps. As for the dockbar, that's wbar, and can be installed on any Linux. I'm not trying to emulate Mac Osx, if for nothing else than I don't like macs very much. However, some of the mac features are cool, ie the dockbar and the traffic lights on the windows. That's (happily) about where the Mac similarites end though. Good luck.

dinky

#90 Post by dinky »

Feedback people, am really likeing d.preed's last screenshot, and thinking about using it as the default for the next TigerPup release. D.preed's last one leaves room at the edge of the picture for you to set your own background colour in the xfce settings. Go to menu>settings>settings manager>Desktop and select a colour to see what I mean, the border around the image will change. This is one option, the other two backdrops attached are the others. Also, d.preed, how do I shrink the size of the png file? It is 1.5 Mb when I save it as a .png in gimp. Thanks mate!
~dinky
Attachments
tigernap.jpg
(136.47 KiB) Downloaded 449 times
tigernapblk.jpg
(149.92 KiB) Downloaded 463 times

smokey01

Re: Hi to all

#91 Post by smokey01 »

shri wrote:Hi to all
please tell me how can i install this MAC os look theme or where can i download this theme.
thanks.
shri, try here in prit1 signature link.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=30252

Smokey

d.preed

#92 Post by d.preed »

Hy dinky,
I never figured out how to shrink a .png properly, so I decided to save it as a compressed gimp .xjt file, which preserves the .png features (like alpha channels) and is easily 're-convertable' to a .png file via gimp, but saves alot of traffic for the board hoster ;)

Also I like the 'round-egded floating style' alot for my wallpapers (Gimp -> filters -> decors -> round corners), so it doesn't just look like a standard wallpaper, but more like a floating image on top of my desktop and it's background colors. Gotta admit, that I'm really into eye-candy sometimes ^^
Gonna have a look in my WP collection 4 some more tigers, when I got some more time.

eugeniak1

#93 Post by eugeniak1 »

Hi, am not very sophisticated with linux, but tried TigerPup. In vain. Xorg failed. It begins good, sees my card, install driver - and i see only green screen with black strips. So it works only with Xvesa, but i like Compiz!
Boot from cd.
AMD4200
two cards nvidia 7600GT
320 GB
Suse 10.3 does all perfect, i have Compiz. Dingo works (frugal, but icewm)
Has anybody any idea?
P.S.
i do apologies to interrupt you discussion, but TigerPup looks so nice...

dinky

#94 Post by dinky »

@eugeniak1

Hmmm... not sure what else you could try. Best bet is posting over at tombh's wNOP forum, as TigerPup is a remastered version of wNOP. There are alot more people who will have a better idea than me. I agree, TigerPup works with Xvesa, but the main point is compiz-fusion... good luck! Here's the wNOP thread: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 74&t=24871

eugeniak1

#95 Post by eugeniak1 »

@dinky
thank you for answer, i'll try..

CatDude

#96 Post by CatDude »

Hi
puppyluvr wrote: Is there a way to make wbar hide ALL the way.
Yes there is, :wink:
take a look at the pic in this post
it is the -falfa 0.0 which hides it, until you move the cursor over it.

Hope this helps

CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

dinky

#97 Post by dinky »

Thanks for that catdude! I didn't know that was possible. Does "-falfa 0.0" still work when wbar isn't compiled with the hide patch? Very cool. What I'd love would be a way for wbar to work above windows, rather than just on the desktop. Don't suppose you've worked this out have you?

Lol. THe other thing I'd love is a way for wbar to be permanent on the desktop, and not act like a window. I.e., when you minimize everything on the desktop (clicking on the "show desktop" icon on the panel, for instance), wbar disappears until you maximize everything again. For this reason I'll probably keep TigerPup with the icons just barely showing, as it's easier to recognize when it disappears.
~dinky

prit1

#98 Post by prit1 »

@CatDude:
Neat trick. Thanks for sharing this. I never knew that -falfa would do this.

@dinky:

I tried the -falfa 0.0 on the wbar in Macpup. This does not have hide option enabled. But CatDude's idea still works. Great one!

In JWM, we could make wbar permanent by not using -above-desk on the wbar command. But the disadvantage of this is that Wbar did not show up on boot until you clicked the desktop. I am not sure if the same applies to Xfce.

Also in JWM, we could create an invisible panel and place wbar over that. This way, none of the other windows would overlap wbar even when they are maximized. I could not find an equivalent trick on Icewm.
[url=http://macpup.org][b]Macpup - The beauty of linux[/b][/url] [b] | [/b] [url=http://pritlog.com/][b]Pritlog - Simple blog app[/b][/url]

dinky

#99 Post by dinky »

Neat idea, I wonder what that would take in xfce? One of those endless projects to play around with...lol. I haven't donw too much with jwm, though maybe I should spend some more time with it. Xfce is good for now... how else could we improve wbar?

CatDude

#100 Post by CatDude »

Hi
dinky wrote:Thanks for that catdude! I didn't know that was possible. Does "-falfa 0.0" still work when wbar isn't compiled with the hide patch?
As prit1 has already discovered, it does indeed.

Normally i use the version by Dougal, as posted here:Wbar: a fancy launchbar (using Imlib2)

After all, when its hidden, its hidden.
It doesn't matter if it started half hidden or not.
When i want to see it, i just move the cursor over it.
dinky wrote:What I'd love would be a way for wbar to work above windows, rather than just on the desktop. Don't suppose you've worked this out have you?
You suppose correctly mate.

You do realise that you can change the font and font size easy enough as well.
Just place the font you want to use, in the wbar.icons directory,
and change the path in the first icon definition in .wbar
In fact you can just put the path to whatever font (it doesn't have to be in wbar.icons)

CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]