How to open a file you have saved, to edit it ?

Booting, installing, newbie
J08NS

How to open a file you have saved, to edit it ?

#1 Post by J08NS »

I can't figure out how to simply open a file and edit it. I open the file but I don't find an edit option. I added to it a few times a few days ago but now I can't seem to do it today :shock: ! Where is the edit option again ? Steps to do so are what :oops: ? Thanks J08NS . (Puppy 4.00, live cd .) 8)
GeoW

#2 Post by GeoW »

Yo JO8NS,

I generally just left click on the file. If that doesn't open it for editing,
I right click and select to open as text.

GeoW
J08NS

#3 Post by J08NS »

:idea: I will try right click and open with text 8)
J08NS

#4 Post by J08NS »

I managed to open and edit my files using document > geany editor and edit from there but one of my files has code on it mixed with the text What did I change to cause this and how do I make it just the text I add without the symbols when I open it ?? And is there a better way to open and edit my files :( ?When I first created the file It would open with the cursor blinking to edit, now it is more difficult . 8)
hillside

#5 Post by hillside »

Locate your file in ROX (click on the little house on your desktop and it'll open ROX)

Many files can be opened just by left clicking on them and Puppy knows how to open them. Others may take an extra step to open.

If left clicking doesn't work, and you know it's a simple text file, try open as text.

To open as text:

Right click your file. You'll get a nice little menu window. The second entry down on the menu is your file name. Point at it and it'll open a second menu window.

About half way down that window is a entry that says: Open as Text. Click that and it'll open your file in a text editor where you can edit to your heart's content.

If you have code in your file, it's probably because you put it there either on purpose or by accident. Maybe you cut and pasted something you didn't mean to? Or if you have a file that is meant to be opened not as text but say as a spreadsheet, you will have tons on "code" in it. In that case, you neet to open the file in the proper program.

If it's not a text file, use the menu item "Open With" and you will get a list of program to open your file with.

Is this helping you to progress?
J08NS

#6 Post by J08NS »

OK the one file created functions and may edit as you suggest and opens to edit fine .The one file I am having trouble with ( the extra symbols ) when I left click opens in firefox browser and has no symbols and can't be edited ,but when I open as text from the popup window it is filled with symbols . the normal file without symbols too opens in geany text editor instead of Firefox and is ready to edit :shock: .So I need to know how to stop the problem file from opening in firefox browser and to open in geany editor not firefox browser 8) .
hillside

#7 Post by hillside »

It sounds like the file that opens in Firefox is an html file. Does the file name end with htm or html? If so, the extra code is meant to be there so that it displays correctly in your browser.

If you want to convert that file to text, open it in Firefox and under the File menu, save the page as text. Then you should get a text file that you can edit.
J08NS

#8 Post by J08NS »

Yes when I do that the text file still has the the symbols instead of plain text . :(
the file ends in html .
hillside

#9 Post by hillside »

Well, try this.

Open your file in Firefox,
highlight the text you want to save,
right click on it,
click copy,
and then paste it into a new document in your text editor. You can save the new file without the html in the name and you should have what you need.
J08NS

#10 Post by J08NS »

Now that is a good idea :idea: That will solve the problem file I will do that ! Thank you for replys , J08NS 8)