Frugal install

Booting, installing, newbie
jannetta

Frugal install

#1 Post by jannetta »

Hi folks

I have just done a frugal install of Puppy. Until now I have used the CD with a pupsave to my hard drive. I sort of assumed that my current settings will be transferred to the frugal install, but it wasn't. Did I miss something during the install? Is there any way I can import or copy over those settings now? By settings I mean all the extras that I have installed, browser histories etc.

Regards
Jannetta
rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

The frugal install may have put the Puppy files in a folder like /puppy400 whereas your original pupsave file is at the root of the drive. If you hunt around in your hard drive partition, you should find the original version. Then copy it into the Puppy folder.
jannetta

#3 Post by jannetta »

I copied all the original Puppyfiles into pupp400. I have my icons back on my desktop and I have some of the stuff I installed. It looks like all the official release stuff. However my development environment and LaTeX is not back.

It seems that although the two sfs files for these two items are in the puppy400 directory they are not loaded. Where does one put sfs files for a frugal install?
jannetta

#4 Post by jannetta »

Okay, I found my own answer. So for anyone else who run into the same problem, here is what I have done.

Firstly to state the problem. After doing a frugal install to /puppy400 I discovered that all my applications and personalised settings were gone.

Step one:
I found all the files that Puppy created, which in my case was in the / directory of my Ubuntu partition. I copied all these files to /puppy400. All my settings and installations were back, except for the sfs files that I used before.

Step two:
These sfs files, which off course I copied into the /puppy400 directory needs to be copied to /initrd/mnt/dev_save directory.

Step three:
Click on: Menu, System, BootManager configure bootup
Click the button next to "Choose which extra SFS files to load at bootup"
Either add the files you want to load or tick the box "Ignore above user selection, load all with '_400' in filename"
Click OK

Step four:
Reboot and everything should be there!
davec51

Activating .sfs Files

#5 Post by davec51 »

I had the same experience with a frugal install, except I found that I put my .sfs extras into the parent of pup400, the /mnt/home directory and everything works as expected. I guess there are more ways than one to skin a cat, or in this case to coax a puppy.