How to run puppy as a regular user (non administrator)

Booting, installing, newbie
happydude

How to run puppy as a regular user (non administrator)

#1 Post by happydude »

Hi,

I am a regular windows user. Security concerns prompted me to look into Linux based desktops. I noticed that Puppy runs in root. I know attacks against Linux client is rare. But I am a bit paranoid and would like to run Puppy as non-admin user most of the time. Is it possible?

I've searched the internet and this forum without success.

Could someone point me to the right direction?

Thanks

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

Maybe try the latest script in this thread http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=15839
Or use a multi-user distro like Grafpup perhaps.

BUT unless you are running NASA or something where you NEED to be REALLY paranoid, it is fine to run as root - just make sure you use a firewall.

If you are interested, Nathan went to an awful lot of trouble to convert Grafpup to be multi-user, but he doesn't think Puppy should be multi-user, and he has provided the best summary of the argument at http://grafpup.org/news/?page_id=243
If you are only "a bit paranoid", and you don't have other reasons to want multi-user, run as root :)
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

happydude

Thanks for the information.

#3 Post by happydude »

Thanks for the information. Just what I was looking for.

darrelljon

#4 Post by darrelljon »

I was under the impressions Nathan did want Puppy to be multiuser.

Bruce B

Re: How to run puppy as a regular user (non administrator)

#5 Post by Bruce B »

happydude wrote: I am a regular windows user.
Happydude,

No offense intended, but I'm afraid you might take some. So I'll try and be careful how I word things.

It is to me an oxymoron that a 'regular windows' user would have have a problem running as root. If there is any problem with that, then don't be a regular windows user.

Please take this in good spirits, like a happydude would.

Thank you,

Bruce

darrelljon

#6 Post by darrelljon »

Most regular Windows users don't want to run as root when they discover Linux and learn what "root" and "limited user" actually means for the first time.

Bruce B

#7 Post by Bruce B »

darrelljon wrote:Most regular Windows users don't want to run as root when they discover Linux and learn what "root" and "limited user" actually means for the first time.
I think I was clear enough, so you tell me: What is a regular Windows user?

To me in this context it is a person who regularly uses Windows. What do you think it means?

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#8 Post by Béèm »

darrelljon wrote:Most regular Windows users don't want to run as root when they discover Linux and learn what "root" and "limited user" actually means for the first time.
Strange
Most regular Windows users run as admin.
So why should they object to run as root as it is the same as running as admin in Windows.
Can't follow this reasoning.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

darrelljon

#9 Post by darrelljon »

A regular Windows user - someone who doesn't necessarily realise they are running as "admin".

Bruce B

#10 Post by Bruce B »

darrelljon wrote:A regular Windows user - someone who doesn't necessarily realise they are running as "admin".
Thinking about exactly what you wrote, meaning the precise wording, in both posts, I think you might be right.

But it is still an oxymoron.

Bruce B

#11 Post by Bruce B »

darrelljon wrote:I was under the impressions Nathan did want Puppy to be multiuser.
That was one of the primary design concepts of Unix. Many users could be using the computer at the same time.

I don't even want any other users running my computer at different times.

This isn't the sixties or seventies. People can afford to buy their own computer used or otherwise. And if not, they still can't use mine.

darrelljon

#12 Post by darrelljon »

The great thing about UNIX like systems is you have the choice of running it as root or multiuser whereas in systems like Windows and Puppy there is little option but to run as root.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#13 Post by Béèm »

darrelljon wrote:The great thing about UNIX like systems is you have the choice of running it as root or multiuser whereas in systems like Windows and Puppy there is little option but to run as root.
Considering your statement about Windows, I don't quite agree.
It's very easy to create and run from supplementary created accounts with limited rights.
But I confess I run as admin too, just out of laziness.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

paulh

#14 Post by paulh »

I'm lazy and run as adminstrator most of the time, too.

But there is a regular user, non-administrator account automatically set up in puppy 4. It's under the name "spot". In /home/spot, there is a file telling how to move back and forth between being administrator and spot.