Which script runs the X video startup and what calls it?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Marblemike

Which script runs the X video startup and what calls it?

#1 Post by Marblemike »

Hi.

I've been trying to modify puppy 4.00's boot sequence. (I'm using 4.00 because it is the one that works best with my hardware, and I haven't got time to follow up on all the new 4.1 quirks yet) Basically I'm trying to follow the scripts as they get executed and remove everything that's not needed for my particular application, such as networking, printing services, etc.

I've managed to do that, but here's where I get lost - what happens between rc.sysinit and the script used to start up X? I can't find a link between the 2. I follow rc.sysinit to what I think is conclusion, but then what happens?

My eventual aim is to stop X, I just want to boot to a console, with the availability of starting X from the console at a later stage if required. So I'd be grateful if someone could tell me what calls the script to start X so I can modify that or if there is an easier way to just boot to a console. I don't know if there is any documentation on the puppy boot process (other then the kernel module loading section on Barry's page), if there is could somebody please point me to it?

Thanks in advance :wink:
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#2 Post by Béèm »

To start X from the prompt type xwin
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
Consult Wikka
Use peppyy's puppysearch
trapster

#3 Post by trapster »

See the last post Here

or, I believe there is a puppy pfix=nox boot option
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog
Trobin

#4 Post by Trobin »

My eventual aim is to stop X, I just want to boot to a console, with the availability of starting X from the console at a later stage if required. So I'd be grateful if someone could tell me what calls the script to start X so I can modify that or if there is an easier way to just boot to a console. I don't know if there is any documentation on the puppy boot process (other then the kernel module loading section on Barry's page), if there is could somebody please point me to it?
The file, I believe, you are looking for, is ~/etc/profile.

To stop X from loading, go to ~/usr/X11R7/bin and delete the X symlink.

Puppy will boot to a command line until that symlink is replaced.

To do that, merely type xorgwizard at the command line.
Marblemike

#5 Post by Marblemike »

The file, I believe, you are looking for, is ~/etc/profile.
To stop X from loading, go to ~/usr/X11R7/bin and delete the X symlink.
Great - that's exactly the info I need.

I've managed to speed my total boot time to 34 s now on a 500 MHz processor with 512 MB of RAM. Getting better all the time.

Thanks too, Béèm and trapster. :D