Dual Boot with an Old PII pc?

Booting, installing, newbie
The Jinx

Dual Boot with an Old PII pc?

#1 Post by The Jinx »

As the title suggest, I am wondering if it is possible to dual boot puppy linux with a old pc currently running Win2k.

The system specs is as followed:

Processor: Intel Pentium II 266mhz MMX w/ 512kb L2
Memory: 64mb EDO
Hard Drive: 4gb
Graphics: I have no idea

I know I would have to partition the hdd to include a swap partition but I don't know exactly how to do that or what else I would need to do.

Thank you,
Jinx
Ray MK

#2 Post by Ray MK »

Hi

Yes - but - the following should explain the "but"

http://tmxxine.com/wik/wikka.php?wakka= ... gHardDrive

and you will need to download a puppy ISO and burn it to a CD, which presumes you have access to a computer with the appropiate sofware for this purpose.

Almost any puppy burned to a CD, will allow you to boot using the pfix=ram parameter and do a full hdd install and then fine tune the installation.

Thinking ahead a bit - prepareation of the hdd is desireable.

You will need to thoroughly defrag and then shrink your Win2k partition a little, and then arrange a simple setup of a linux partition of about 1 to 1.5gig and then a modest swap partition, of say 128mb.

Gparted is the tool to use for this - it is found in the menu of most puppy's under "system" and it allows you to prepare partitions on your hdd to suit a wide range of possible options.

If you are unfamiliar with Gparted, it would be prudent to have a look at the instructions - it is a good bit of software and is easy to use.
However - use with caution as it is equally easy to wipe everything in an instant.

There is an undo option - so not so much of a sweat - but best to not get to a position where an unexpected undo is needed.

There is a very good step by step guide on exactly how and why you might want to do this in the manual and elsewhere here on the forum.

Well worth a read.

Hope this is helpful

best regards - Ray MK
alienjeff

#3 Post by alienjeff »

Buy.
More.
RAM.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]
Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

AJ,

I was talking to one of my brothers the other day. He has a fine machine, Y@K also, with I think 512 RAM, but he'd like a couple GB.

So he prices the RAM for his older machine and the better current RAM. Guess what? Considering how much cheaper and better today's RAM and how much he will save, he figures if he buys right he can get a new motherboard and processor.

Of course you are right, more ram, especially at such a marginal 64MB. On the other hand, I personally am reserved about spending money for any hardware on older machines. The temptation is to condemn and cannibalize machines to get free parts out of them.

(I just had an idea, due to us living in the same Peoples Republic, you can mail me you good unused hardware. I can foot the bill for the mail.)

Regards,

Bruce
alienjeff

#5 Post by alienjeff »

I'll grant you that adding RAM isn't always cost effective, however it frequently provides the biggest bang for the buck. More than a few people thought I had gone over the edge when I purchased RAM for my Gateway Solo 5150 lappy - a 233 MHz P-II dinosaur. It cost me between $65 and $70 to max out the RAM from the stock 32M hardwired up to 288M.

However, the computer was a freebie that otherwise would have been destined for the trash. And Lord knows I would sooner cut off an appendage than buy a new laptop.

So it was money well spent.

Yeah, it's 10-year old technology and a dinosaur by today's standards. But I have a perfectly decent laptop that serves me well for what I need it for.

I simply cringe when I frequently read about people unnecessarily wrestling with obviously RAM-starved boxes, Unless it's strictly for the challenge, why bother?

And comparing how Puppy runs vs Win98 on such boxes isn't fair. You and I know why, but for the noob it puts Puppy in a less-than-favorable light.

I'll hang onto my "jonque," thank you.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]
Bruce B

#6 Post by Bruce B »

AJ,

You're right. Especially, considering that at 35mB you'd never have enjoyed the freebie, but at 288, you have lots of options.

In this case there won't be a w98se comparision, rather a y@k at 64mB and moreover, it might be a degraded y@k, this could put Puppy on a more than level playing field.

Bruce