Laptop Battery Monitor: No orderly shutdown/suspend [SOLVED]

Booting, installing, newbie
hitchup

Laptop Battery Monitor: No orderly shutdown/suspend [SOLVED]

#1 Post by hitchup »

Laptop Battery Monitor: No orderly shutdown/suspend before a dead battery.

I accidentally unplugged the charger to my Toshiba A205-S4777 laptop. When I returned, plugged in power and restarted Puppy 410 there was a lot of checking X for improper shutdown recovery.

Is the battery display only a status indication?

Is there a background process that can be set up to enter suspend or orderly shutdown the system before the battery gets to low to safely run the computer?

Solved with script to monitor mouse activity per thread below.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 60#266760
Last edited by hitchup on Mon 19 Jan 2009, 00:45, edited 1 time in total.
Toshiba A205:S4777; Vista HP(Fading); Puppy Live CD(Rising)
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#2 Post by Béèm »

Can't you set your bios to give warnings?
I can and the warning is in time to shutdown, well if you are working on the PC. If I leaf the PC unattended I'll have the problem as well.

If you search on suspend in the puppysearch link in my sig, you'll find quite some interesting hits on the subject.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
Consult Wikka
Use peppyy's puppysearch
awjkok

Laptop Battery Monitor

#3 Post by awjkok »

I have the same problem with my Toshiba 8000. When left unattended on battery power the system crashes and won't even start up properly (full install). Battery monitor doesn't give a reliable indication of time remaning, I noticed a fast dropping of remaning time after 50/60% of capacity used. The problem stopped me from using Puppy for some time. I would like to know if there is a script that wil shutdown your laptop when for instance battery monitor gives 10% power remaining and power is unplugged.