Remastering CD bug/enhancement

Please post any bugs you have found
vjones777

Remastering CD bug/enhancement

#1 Post by vjones777 »

This is both a potential problem and a feature request.

As a newbie to puppy, I tried remastering the CD. Firstly I'll say that I'm not sure if remastering is essentially the same as creating the sfs files on a hard drive/USB stick (I'd already created the sfs files on a USB stick and wanted to compare how saving them to the CD would affect the boot time/responsiveness). Anyway, since I'd already created the files, the shutdown process no longer prompted to save to CD - so thats why I tried the remaster.

OK, to the 'bug'. At the final stage of buring the CD, it prompted to insert a blank CD. Well I thought there should be sufficient space on the CD so I went ahead and tried it anyway. The burn dialogue window showed it tried a few times then gave up. Fair enough. The problem was, when I hit Enter, the window closed and the dialogue congratulated me on creating a new master CD - wrong!
As a newbie, I'm sure that the CD files are still in RAM and probably could be burnt ok, but not being familiar with puppy I wouldnt know how to manually burn a bootable CD.

The final step in the remastering process needs to check if the burn process was successful and if not, to go back and prompt the user to try another CD. This could easily happen with a faulty blank CD.

Not a gripe, but a seriously impressed user whos trying to help :)

(Puppy 4.1.1)

jrb

#2 Post by jrb »

Hi vjones777,
You're right, all the files you need should still be there. Not an ISO but all the files that go into it.

Look for a folder called puppylivecdbuild. It will contain 6 files. It will be on the drive you selected during the remaster script. Make sure it is mounted.

Open ISOmaster from the Multimedia menu. Click Image->New. Use the GoBack arrow to get from /root to /. Go to /mnt /yourdrive/puppylivecdbuild. You should see those 6 files. Select them all (ctrl+A) and click the Add arrow. Once they appear in the bottom window go to Images->SaveAs give it a name, choose a save place and click OK. You'll have your new ISO.

To burn this ISO open Pburn from the multimedia menu. Choose a drive for temp storage, then go to Burn->ISOimage find your ISO and click the burn button.

vjones777

#3 Post by vjones777 »

Thanks for that and for the rapid response.