ROX equivalent to MS Windows Explorer "Send To" menu?

Using applications, configuring, problems
MikeLockmoore

ROX equivalent to MS Windows Explorer "Send To" menu?

#1 Post by MikeLockmoore »

Hello. I've been writing a new GTK application to view any file as hexidecimal bytes. (I will post it later and get some help polishing it and making a .PET for it, maybe under "Cutting Edge" or another forum heading.) Anyway, for the earlier Win32 version of it I made, it was easy to add a shortcut to the binary to the MS-Windows' "Send To" folder, so that in MS Explorer, you can right-click on any file, pop open the Send To sub-menu and then select my hex file viewer app. That will feed the selected file name to the "command-line" application initialization arguments, so the app opens immediately with the intended data.

I suspect there is a way to configure ROX to do something equivalent. I'd like to add "open selected file with hex file viewer" to the ROX menu I see when I right-click on a file. Is there an way to do this withough recompiling ROX? If anyone can post a link to documentation on this or the configuration steps, I'd really appreciate it! I hope this can be scripted, so the ROX configuration could be done automatically through a .PET installation.

Thanks for any help.
Mike Lockmoore

MU

#2 Post by MU »

create a symlink to your application in:
/root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/OpenWith/

Then it should show up in the "open with" menu.

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

MikeLockmoore

#3 Post by MikeLockmoore »

MU: Thanks, that works!

Note my spiffy new avatar. :)
Mike Lockmoore

MikeLockmoore

#4 Post by MikeLockmoore »

In this VisiHex -- GTK hexidecimal/ascii fileviewer in development "Cutting edge" forum thread I introduce my new application VisiHex and ask for some guidance on creating and using a .desktop file so VisiHex will be inserted into the Puppy menu. If anyone has created a .desktop file to add a new app to the Puppy menu, I'd appreciate some extra guidance. Or if you are simply interested in testing this "alpha"-level application, please stop by the above thread.

As far as the .desktop file, I've already studied and tried to follow rarsa's Package creators (dotpup and pupget) - Please read this ! sticky thread. I can see the visihex.desktop file in the /usr/share/applications/ directory with all of the other .desktop files. But after I restart JWM, or restart X, or even reboot Puppy, I don't see any change in the menu. I'm trying to add VisiHex to the Utility menu, if that makes any difference. Please let me know what you think or things I should do to distribute a Puppy application!
Mike Lockmoore