Macpup E17

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
runtt21

Macpup E17

#1 Post by runtt21 »

This is the new thread for Macpup E17.

Macpup E17 is built on puppy linux 4.1.2 (2.6.25.16).

A BIG Thank you to Barry,Ttuuxxx,Mu.Yim,Puppyluvr & Prit1 !!!!!

This macpup has all the apps from 4.1.2 plus the enlightenment E17 desktop. Works with Xorg and Xvesa .This is an older version of E17 (.032) and most of the new themes dont work with it.So I have added 12 extra themes ( 13 total ) with their own backgrounds and a lot of extra backgrounds ( some "do stuff").Some of these themes and backgrounds came from the Zenwalk repos. A word of caution with the india background, Its a cpu hog.I recommend only running it on one desktop for a short time.Its is impressive.
The shutdown/reboot buttons in the E17 menu don't work with puppy linux so I have added the macpup exit menu to allow you to shutdown/restart from with in E17. Just click on the exit icon on the desktop. Click on the " ! "icon to check ram .And use the Top hat to set up internet connections.
After adding Apps open the menu and go to configuration - Application Menus-regenerate/update Application Menus and hit regenerate to update the menu. Thank You very Much !!!!!

http://macpup.org/macpupe17.php
Attachments
macE3.jpg
Desktop 3
(102.62 KiB) Downloaded 1529 times
macE2.jpg
Desktop 2
(47.94 KiB) Downloaded 1482 times
macE1.jpg
Desktop 1
(147.45 KiB) Downloaded 1521 times
Last edited by runtt21 on Sat 14 Feb 2009, 05:24, edited 1 time in total.

runtt21

#2 Post by runtt21 »

Some of the other backgrounds and themes.....
Attachments
ME17b.jpg
Puppyluvrs favorite Night bling theme
(137.59 KiB) Downloaded 1549 times
ME17a.jpg
darkrevolutions theme
(140.09 KiB) Downloaded 1412 times

kfl

#3 Post by kfl »

This is so cool! Thanks 8)

nousername

MacPup E17

#4 Post by nousername »

Ok, I have a frugal install of Macpup with antiX running on a 700 Mhz I'm fixing for my brother in law. Everything is working but I would like to be able to switch window managers in puppy between E17 and Jwm (It started out with Macpup in the beginning and I exited out of X and got into JWM by typing xwin jwm). What would be the command to get back in E17? Is there a way to set it up to switch window managers similar to the way Minisys Muppy does (Clicking on a button instead of command line)

nousername

Macpup

#5 Post by nousername »

Ok, to switch to Macpup I exit X and type xwin enlightenment_start. It works great. This is starting to get cool now. I just need to figure out how to do this from a gui.

37fleetwood

#6 Post by 37fleetwood »

Ok, I downloaded this very flashy little Puplet and am very impressed. I noticed a few things though. first I never noticed before but does Enlightenment run on top of Jwm? when switching themes you get a brief glimpse of the Jwm desktop. I'm assuming that Jwm is still running?
the next thing I noticed was that after playing with OpenGEU, which is Ubuntu with Enlightenment, that yours is so much faster that I don't get that cool sliding effect when switching desktops. if you watch carefully you can kinda tell it's doing it but it's very fast. is there a way to slow the effect down?
the one criticism I have is I can't stand Rox and would have used either Thunar or PCMan. I would be happier if we could get rid of Rox altogether.
I guess that's not really a criticism of MacPup e-17 as much as a rant about Rox :oops:
Scott 8)
[color=darkblue][b]Thanks!
Scott 8) [/b][/color]
[color=darkblue][size=150]I'm a PC... Without Windows[/size][/color]

runtt21

#7 Post by runtt21 »

nousername you would need to add some scrips in /usr/x11r7/bin I think .Name one restartjwm and one restartE,you would need something like this is the restartjwm:

killall x &&
exec jwm

And something like this in restartE

killall x &&
exec enlightenment_start

then you would need to add buttons in /usr/sbin/plogout . Just copy the settings from one of the top buttons.Change the name to Jwm and add the script location just like the other buttons.Do the same for restartE. BUT This is just a guess.

37fleetwood I dont know what version opengGeu is running.I have the newest version compiled and running in 4.1.2 but it still has alot of issues to be worked out .That why we went with the older version for this pup,the newer ones do things alot different than this one.Yes e is running on top of jwm, the one in opengeu is running on top of gnome.The newer version are geared to work with gnome and kde.Open the menu go to configure and then config panel and look for transitions, you can change stuff there.

Thank you both for giving this pup a spin !!!!!

nousername

macpup

#8 Post by nousername »

Thanks alot. I haven't tried to run scripts but I'll give it a go. Pretty flashy and lightweight too. Good combination.

37fleetwood

#9 Post by 37fleetwood »

makes me wonder how it would run on top of Xfce4. if I'm not mistaken Xfce4 should allow Ecomorph compositing and have Thunar. it's funny that OpenGEU uses Thunar if it's running Gnome, which has Nautilus as the default file manager.Image
thanks again great job!Image
Scott 8)
[color=darkblue][b]Thanks!
Scott 8) [/b][/color]
[color=darkblue][size=150]I'm a PC... Without Windows[/size][/color]

T_Hobbit

#10 Post by T_Hobbit »

Puppy and e17? Waiting for this for a long time... Thanks!!!
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

smooth

#11 Post by smooth »

Where are the themes? Can't find them. Edit: I feel silly. Found them (klik on personal).

picatrix

#12 Post by picatrix »

Great little pup!
Is there a (simply) way to add transparency to windows/rxvt?

Thanks in advance

Picatrix

runtt21

#13 Post by runtt21 »

@ picatrix , I don't know of any way to do that.I don't think I have ever seen an e17 theme that had transparency.

picatrix

#14 Post by picatrix »

@runtt21:

I've got it last night with xorg, this way:

you must install xcompmgr, transterm, run-transparent;
run transterm at startup (maybe you need to add a couple of lines to xorg.conf to enable composite/render; I've also modified transterm settings in order to close the terminal window at the center of the screen);
create some scripts in my application (for ex. myrox => run-transparent -t 0.5 rox exit 0);
launch myscripts from icons in the dockbar;

Maybe it's a "poor man" transparency, but it works on my Thinkpad R51e;
I've got just one problem, but it's xorg related: can't watch videos...there's a rendering problem, maybe framebuffer related, while in xvesa I can watch videos, but I can't have transparency!

For e17 with bells&whistles watch here: http://www.elivecd.org/Download/e17-compiz

Picatrix

runtt21

#15 Post by runtt21 »

As far as elive goes 700 mb vs macpup e17 172 mb. Compiz isn't 500 mb so what are they doing with the the extra 528 mb?

runtt21

#16 Post by runtt21 »

@ picatrix , where did you get xcompmgr? Can your run the itask module while running it?

8-bit

#17 Post by 8-bit »

When I select your SHUTDOWN icon, and then select Exit to Prompt, it does not.
I had to do an Alt-Ctrl-Backspace twice to get to an external command prompt.
I then restarted with Xwin jwm and it allows me to exit to command prompt.
What broke?

runtt21

#18 Post by runtt21 »

Unpack this and move the script to /usr/sbin
Attachments
exit.tar.gz
(157 Bytes) Downloaded 649 times

picatrix

#19 Post by picatrix »

@runtt21

...I found it googling in the forum from the office puter...I don´t retrieve the post...

I don't get the itask question...I'm a linux newbie...

Picatrix
Attachments
e17_transparency.jpg
here's the result...
(44.11 KiB) Downloaded 752 times
xcompmgr-1.1.3-i686.pet
...I found it googling in the forum from the office...I don´t retrieve the post...
(12.94 KiB) Downloaded 608 times

runtt21

#20 Post by runtt21 »

@ picatrix , open the e17 config window and look for modules, there is one for fire and rain both work with xorg or xvesa look for itask its a dock bar like thing that need graphic acceleration.