Which Puppy is best? Can I install apps from a CD?

Booting, installing, newbie
moXXXXXX

Which Puppy is best? Can I install apps from a CD?

#1 Post by moXXXXXX »

Hi there,
I am going to try 1.0.4 again. I found the CD here at work. If there is any other advice that could be offered I would be most appreciative. I am at work so can't check if 1.0.4 works or but when I get home tonight I will be looking in to it. If it doesn't work I'll try 1.0.6. Given the very short time I have to get these computers working I'd love some ideas for a fool proof plan C.
Cheers,
Adrian
b/w Has anyone else news on issues installing 1.0.5 to the HD?

Rich

#2 Post by Rich »

1.0.4 works fine for me. Very stable and capable.

R
>> Puppy 1.0.4 Moz - LiveCD <<

moXXXXXX

Thanks for help - it's all working now

#3 Post by moXXXXXX »

Thanks so much to the pups out there. I woke this morning and thought I'd try adding more RAM - this worked AOK and now I have 1.0.5 installed. It's interesting to know that while 1.0.5 and 1.0.4, would not install on these computers with 128MB when I added another 128MB (so 256MB) they did install AOK and when I took the extra 128MB out, after installing to the HD and adding a SWAP partition of 128MB, they ran perfectly.
Now that I can build them I am looking at the choice b.w. 1.0.4 and 1.0.5 and 1.0.6 - I actually really like the look, very clean and simple, of 1.0.4 but do not know which is better for the end user (who is not actually me); these end users will be new to computers so I want to give them the easiest to use, full featured, and stable release. Any ideas, all ideas ... welcome.
Cheers,
Adrian

MU

#4 Post by MU »

Do not use 105.

106 basically is a bugfixed 105 without too many new features.
Choose 104 or 106.

If you like fvwm95 (the standard-desktop in 104):
You can install it with pupget in 106.

Also install GuestToos Servicepack for 106:
http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=3555

I personally see no reason in using 104 any more, 106 is a very good release :)

Mark

Release numbers

#5 Post by Guest »

Thanks for the info. Do puppy release numbers follow the tradition of odd evens reflecting stable and odd numbers reflecting unstable or step releases?
:-)

Installing pup packages

#6 Post by Guest »

Also, can I install pup packages from a CD. I've downloaded the packages from the internet and thought I might be able to install them from a CD I've burnt them too. Is this possible? If so, how would I do this?
Cheers,
Adrian

user-786-logged-out

#7 Post by user-786-logged-out »

Hello!

As I understand you want to create some computers for some people who are novice and the computers are not at all sophisticated. If this is right, I would do the following.

1: I would choose 104-Barebones Puppy ISO
Reason. It is very small distro and can be un from 128mb ram

2: I would also look at the list of the programs that are installed with this Puppy. As the end-users are new computer users, they would not need much of these programs, so, I would try to un-install some of them.

3: I would then open /user/sbin/remaster-cd in text editor
I would download AlienX remaster script and copy it in the above file

4: I would then go to Start -> Setup -> Remaster LiveCD

PS: before doing this, I would set the Wallpaper, and/or background color, setup my Icons, choose my WM and so on

5: When it asks the question about saving the Hardware config, I would opt for otherwise

6: Before the final instruction to create ISO, I would do the following
a: Create a directory in /mnt/remaster/isolinux-builds as EXTRA_FILES
b: Put all the downloaded files in this folder (Copy it from another CD)

7: Hit the enter to create ISO which will be puppy.iso in /mnt/remaster/ folder

8: put a new CD in rom and burn this ISO to this CD

This way you will have a New CD with all downloaded files and minimum Files for Puppy so this puppy can boot even on 128mb ram systems. Now if someone has more ram, you can just mount the CD you have booted from (This newly burnt CD) and go to EXTRA_FILES folder and install what ever is End User's requirement.

If you are interested, I have created some scripts which simply pass the parameters to a program and put them in /usr/bin, for example I have a script named Notepad, it is only two lines, like below

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
exec leafpad "$@"
All it does is pass the arguments to leafpad.
Now I have changed the script, /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/MIME-types/text_plain to

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
exec Notepad "$1"
I would drag the /usr/bin/Notepad to the desktop and it will give a familiar Windows like Desktop appearence for the NEW USER

If you are interested in something like this, PM me and I would send you all the scripts, New /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/globalicons file and all the images I have gathered for these scripts and you can amaze your customers

Just take a look at the pictures below, Second Image is the right side of my desktop, It is created exactly as I described above

The first Image shows what you see if you click some file and select SendTo

MU

Re: Installing pup packages

#8 Post by MU »

Anonymous wrote:Also, can I install pup packages from a CD. I've downloaded the packages from the internet and thought I might be able to install them from a CD I've burnt them too. Is this possible? If so, how would I do this?
Cheers,
Adrian
To install Dotpups from a CD:

Mount the CD with MUT (start - utilities).
The ROX-filer will open with the folder /mnt/cdrom
Search your packages, and click on the one you want to install.

Here is a small video showing how to mount drives:
http://rhinoweb.us/howtomountausbkey.htm (293 kb)

This small video shows how to install a dotpup downloaded from the web:
http://rhinoweb.us/howtoinstallopera.htm (846 kb)

Mark

aahhaaa

#9 Post by aahhaaa »

If these folks are going to be using dial-up, pre-install & test it for them.
Folks with hispeed & LAN seem to have fewer probs. Its not hard to do with the right card, but it is confusing to figure out.

Might want to add a README to the desktop tailored to your setup. Things like how & why to backup Pup001, short glossary, etc. Even links to forum threads you found useful. :wink:

If these are very old chassis, you might investigate the USB2 adapter cards; don't know if they work in Puppy, but anything new anybody adds with prob'ly be USB (cameras & printers). Cards are on eBay & elsewhere.

Less is more & better for newbies. :D

Pizzasgood

#10 Post by Pizzasgood »

To install PupGet packages from the cd, mount it with MUT, then run PupGet. When it asks where to download the file from, choose local and browse to the cd (probably /mnt/cdrom).
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

moXXXXXX

Great help - thanks

#11 Post by moXXXXXX »

Thanks for the great help. I have really appreciated the clear and in-depth responses. I feel I will go with 1.0.4 as suggested and perhaps load on Skype as part of the personalization. Perhaps I will undertake the next project with 1.0.6.
:-)