how can we install PuppyLinux on ext3 partition directly?

Booting, installing, newbie
nitrofurano

how can we install PuppyLinux on ext3 partition directly?

#1 Post by nitrofurano »

Hi!

I, as long time Ubuntu user, tried to install PuppyLinux on some old hardware, on a hacklab ( http://hacklaviva.net ) - this hacklab is mostly related for media and development

When trying to install PuppyLinux into a HD, the problems i found were how can i couldn't create and resize ext3 and swap partitions easily. What i found more similar is to install a kind of imagedisk on a fat partition, but i really want to avoid it. When i tried to install, i quitted immediatelly, since it were the only option available.

With which tool, simiar to GPartEd, can we create ext3 and swap partitions before installing Linux from PuppyLinux live-cd? Of course i could use GPartEd from a Xubuntu live-cd, but Xubuntu is really too heavy on some kind of old computers...

Is the easier way to install from the live-cd to a ext3 partition is using the dd command? i know how 'dangerous' the dd command is, but how can we do it?

And another question, when having it installed, how can i install packages there? and how easy is to use apt-get instead, from Debian or Ubuntu repositories?

DMcCunney

Re: how can we install PuppyLinux on ext3 partition directly?

#2 Post by DMcCunney »

nitrofurano wrote:Is the easier way to install from the live-cd to a ext3 partition is using the dd command? i know how 'dangerous' the dd command is, but how can we do it?
Why use dd? I was able to use GPartEd from a live CD, create an ext3 partition on an HD, boot Puppy from the live CD, specify a Full install, and tell it to install to the ext3 partition.
And another question, when having it installed, how can i install packages there? and how easy is to use apt-get instead, from Debian or Ubuntu repositories?
You can't. Puppy is a custom distribution. It is not based on Debian, and does not use Debian packages or apt-get.

Puppy packages are provided in pet files, used by the Puppy Package Manager. To use RPM or DEB files, you would have to convert them. Tools exist to do this, but it's simpler in most cases to see if a pet exists for the software you want.
______
Dennis

Aitch

#3 Post by Aitch »

nitrofurano

That hacklab link you posted looks very much like SPAM to me
[Based on google translation of the Portuguese]

However if you are interested in a Puppy that can access & install debian or *buntu files have a look at Woof, BarryK's latest project

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=39195

Aitch :)

rjbrewer

#4 Post by rjbrewer »

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Aitch

#5 Post by Aitch »

Also, Gparted liveCD from here - simple google find

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

Aitch :)

nitrofurano

thanks!

#6 Post by nitrofurano »

You can't. Puppy is a custom distribution. It is not based on Debian, and does not use Debian packages or apt-get.
even if i make a tarball of apt-get, and set all the information needed like repository urls? i didn't asked if i can or not, i asked how can i do it, as i believe is really possible! =) - of course i know about pet packages (and how easily they are done from tarballs, compaired with .deb), but i wanted to know how fine is using Debian/Ubuntu repositories instead, just for a try - if someone did it successfully, please let us know! =)
Why use dd? I was able to use GPartEd from a live CD, create an ext3 partition on an HD, boot Puppy from the live CD, specify a Full install, and tell it to install to the ext3 partition.
i think it's pressuposed i need also to create a swap partition as well? or is it installed a swap file (i want to avoid swap files, only using swap partitions instead...)
That hacklab link you posted looks very much like SPAM to me
it's not SPAM, it's a cultural and experimental meetings related to arts, electronics, computer recycling, experience sharing, etc. - it's an awesome experience being part of one! - lot at wikipedia definition of what hacklab means... - and thanks letting me know about Woof and its possibility of installing packages from Ubuntu repository (i'll try it asap!), this will fill the gap of a tiny distro able to access defaultly the Ubuntu deb repository with apt-get and/or synaptic! =) (while there is no tiny ubuntu available up to now yet)
Also, Gparted liveCD from here - simple google find
had no idea about it - thanks let me know! =) you were really lucky finding it, it seems to be a very new project indeed....

ComputerBob

Re: thanks!

#7 Post by ComputerBob »

nitrofurano wrote:....you were really lucky finding it, it seems to be a very new project indeed....
It's been around for more than 3 years:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=115843&package_id=173828
[color=red][b]Computer[/b][/color][color=blue][b]Bob[/b][/color].com - Making Geek-Speak Chicâ„¢
News, Views, Information, Software, Help & Fun - Every Day
[url=http://www.computerbob.com][b]ComputerBob.com[/b][/url]