Extract .rpm's with xarchiver

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
jrb

Extract .rpm's with xarchiver

#1 Post by jrb »

Recently I needed a missing lib, libgnome-2.so.0. I did a google search and could only find it in rpm packages. I downloaded a fedora package, libgnome-2.24.1-7.fc10.i386.rpm, and clicked on it to extract.
An error has occurred opening the RPM file. Suggestion: install unrpm.pup DotPup package, which contains an alternative RPM extraction program, that PupZip will automatically use if present.
What a bother. :x Then it occurred to me, I have ttuuxxx's xarchiver installed, why not give it a try? I opened the file with xarchiver, clicked on extract and bingo, totally extracted. :D

Thanks ttuuxxx, J

panzerpuppy

#2 Post by panzerpuppy »

Yeah,that works, but how to add .RAR, .7z and .DEB support to Xarchiver ?

I don't like bloating the Pup with WINE just to use 7-zip for Windows to extract these archives :(

norsiwel

#3 Post by norsiwel »

Peazip portable does all that, its about 21 mb extracted, but can be run from a portable device, usb stick, etc.
the only thing that is constant is change

jrb

#4 Post by jrb »

panzerpuppy,
how to add .RAR, .7z and .DEB support to Xarchiver ?
If you go to the xarchiver thread you will see there are .pets there to add rar and 7zip capabilites. I use rar quite a bit, used to use winrar with wine, but xarchiver handles them nicely, although I miss doing groups of files to and from individual rar files.

norsiwel,
Peazip portable does all that
Is that the windows based portable app? Do you run it with wine?

norsiwel

#5 Post by norsiwel »

http://peazip.sourceforge.net/

There is a windows version, but I use the native linux version, available as .tgz just extract it to any drive, including a usb stick and it has all the needed files to run.
the only thing that is constant is change

jrb

#6 Post by jrb »

norsiwel,
I use the native linux version
Cool! I'll check it out.

Thanks, J

panzerpuppy

#7 Post by panzerpuppy »

PeaZip rocks! :)

(I finally found an archiver for Linux that can extract .ACE archives)
Last edited by panzerpuppy on Tue 21 Apr 2009, 04:49, edited 1 time in total.

panzerpuppy

#8 Post by panzerpuppy »

If you go to the xarchiver thread you will see there are .pets there to add rar and 7zip capabilites. I use rar quite a bit, used to use winrar with wine, but xarchiver handles them nicely, although I miss doing groups of files to and from individual rar files.
Nice, but still no .DEB support :( (the ability to extract DEB archives is very important if you repackage stuff)

dejan555

#9 Post by dejan555 »

If you have unrpm and undeb installed you may use deb2pet & rpm2pet for repackaging, also xarchiver had deb support in puppy 4.1 and below, I don't know why it doesn't work in 4.2?
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

giorgiotani

#10 Post by giorgiotani »

panzerpuppy wrote:Nice, but still no .DEB support :( (the ability to extract DEB archives is very important if you repackage stuff)
PeaZip can extract .DEB files, I hope it can be useful.