Frugal install to ext2/3 - 'can save to entire partition'

Booting, installing, newbie
dr_willis

Frugal install to ext2/3 - 'can save to entire partition'

#1 Post by dr_willis »

Toying with puppy, and i notice this little comment at the end of the paragraphs on a frugal install.

- Can Save to entire partition if Linux F.S. and No need to coexist.

So what does this really mean? Ive never noticed any differances in a frugal install to a ext2, compared to a vfat filesystem.

It sounds like its saying i dont need to use a 'save' file if i frugal install to a ext2/3 filesystem.. but I cant figure out how that works. or if its some how automatic, or if its just a incorrect statement.

Thanks for any info.

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

Runs like a frugal but instead of mounting a pup_save file and using the internal ext2 file system an actual ext2/3 partition is used.

By the way this facility means that a frugal and full don't co exist happily

mike

Bruce B

Re: Frugal install to ext2/3 - 'can save to entire partition

#3 Post by Bruce B »

dr_willis wrote: So what does this really mean? Ive never noticed any
differances in a frugal install to a ext2, compared to a vfat
filesystem.
Microsoft partitions don't come close to adequately
supporting Linux directories and files. Naming conventions,
linking, attributes, etc.

dr_willis

#4 Post by dr_willis »

Ok..so i've totally missed HOW to use a save to entire partion, instead of usng the 'save file'

I also understand that vfat cant do the same 'file atributes' as ext2/3 and so forth.. but for a 'save file' type frugal install.. its not really an issue is it. Is ext2/3 going to be faster for a frugal install?

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

Ok if you used a partition to save to you would see the linux file structure on that partition...it would look like a full install but the core of puppy would still be running from pup_xxx.sfs.
So non of the space constraints of using a pup_save and the fixability/flexibility of a frugal setup. Should also get slightly faster access to the files in 'save'

mike

perhaps a diagram would be the way lol

dr_willis

#6 Post by dr_willis »

Yes - I must be overlooking somthing basic here.. what i normally do (testing in a virtualbox system)

Boot live cd, partition hard drive. (sda1 ext2, sda2 swap) run the installer,
run grub installer, install everything to sda1, then reboot.. It then asks to make a save file, i tell it /dev/sda1. It then makes a save file on sda1/puppy420 normally. The file structure on the disk is basically GRUB and 'puppy420' and files within those 2 dirs.

Im just exploring this - beause the other day in the IRC channel someone was asking about making a 40+GB save file, for a frugal installed system. They were using ext2/3 so this seemed like an ideal way to do it. It does seem to be an overlooked and very usefull feature

Bruce B

#7 Post by Bruce B »

dr_willis,

As far as speed, I think the guest's speed, which is pup_save couldn't exceed the speed of the host.

I host pup_save files on ext3 and it all seems very fast to me. But my reason is simply because running only Linux, there is no need for Microsoft partitions.

I will say, I think life is easier with one primary OS, which is Puppy for me and one set of filesystems which fully support the files.

Bruce

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

Im just exploring this - beause the other day in the IRC channel someone was asking about making a 40+GB save file, for a frugal installed system. They were using ext2/3 so this seemed like an ideal way to do it. It does seem to be an overlooked and very usefull feature
that's exactly what its for...a 40GB partition is used as a 40GB save file

mike