Project K-9 - You decide what you will get!

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
WarMocK

Project K-9 - You decide what you will get!

#1 Post by WarMocK »

I've been using Puppy Linux since version 2.00, and about two years ago I decided to use barelypup 2.13 to create my own little derivate of Puppy Linux. The final result was a 55 MB file that was build for one single purpose:
Get as much hardware as possible up and running and allow the user to get his favorite tools from either Puppy's or another distro's repository. And when he got what he needs, allow him to remaster the entire system to get a working environment specifically customized for him!
That was almost 2 years ago, and I now gave it a try again using grey's NOP puplet. And this is the result: ^^

K-9 is based upon Puppy Linux 4.13 at the moment (probably gonna create the newer version either from barebones 4.21 or directly from scratch). But there were " a few minor" changes:

- It provides hardware support for both printers and scanners, and just got the drivers for WACOM graphic tablets as well. Future releases will provide as many drivers as possible to make any hardware supported by linux work out-of-the-box if possible.
- wbar replaces the second XFCE panel for launching applications (the icons are tied to the "default" scripts, which I rewrote to use a number of config files stored in the home directory).
- Added the original background I created 2 years ago.
- The new gtk theme is a derivate from the "Alive" theme which can be found on gnome-look.org. I changed some of the color settings to provide a better contrast, and I'm going to modify most of the graphical elements as well to provide a sleek and simple yet appeaing look and feel.
- New icon set I created from some of the best icon sets found on gnome-look.org as well. Some of them were modified by me, or I used parts of them to create my own icons in order to get a good-looking icon theme for both the mounted drives and the icon environment itself.
- In order to keep the system operable even without Xorg, I added a few extra CLI tools to provide a working environment so the user can try to recover the graphical interfqace. The CLI tools included are:

-- mc (filemanager)
-- mp (editor)
-- rhapsody (IRC)
-- elinks (browser with tab support)
-- mybashburn (burning utility)
-- htop (taskmanager)

HINT: exit to the prompt and type "helpdesk". ;-)
- Pwidgets for displaying a few infos about the system. I'm gonna replace it with screenlets to get a framework for displaying interactive micro-tools for controlling and monitoring the system.

This is an EARLY alpha stage of K-9! It still has lots of "fat" on it (iow tools which are not necessary for building a working system). The newer versions will hopefully be a bit lighter, but as long as I can keep the ISO below 100 Megs I won't complain about it. ;-)

TODO:
- Prepare the system for multi-user support (which is the nly thing I didn't manage to include into version 2.13)
- Bugfixes and reconfiguring the system for more efficiency
-Add some CLI tools for managing and configuring the system (similar to the keyboard and mouse selection dialog tools)

A screenshot:
K-9 Linux Alpha stage

The ISO:
Current Version: K-9 Beta1

If you find any bugs and problems, feel free to report them via PM or leave a comment about it in here.^^
Enjoy!

UPDATE! Beta 3 is out.
Featuring:
- improved IntroWizard
- CLInet, a network/modem connection wizard for the commandline
- CLIbackup, a commandline tool for backing up the most important configs of your system
- stjerm, a dropdown terminal similar to the ones found in computer games. It even provides multi-tabbing
- BashBurn 3.0, a burning utility for the commandline
- MaMUT (My advanced Media Utility Tool). Yes, the classic is back! But it now supports mounting iso and sfs files as well. BEWARE! This is highly experimental at this point and needs a lot of bugfixes!

Beta 3. Come and get it!

TODO for Beta 4:
- Bugfixes (mainly on MaMUT)
- adding the missing features for CLInet
- adding more tools for sfs files (main goal: SFS Commander, a graphical tool to create and edit sfs files properly)
- probably the first version to feature splashy for displaying background images on the commandline

Okay, skipping Beta 4 as I just added a few minor bugfixes. Let's go right to

K-9 Linux Beta 5!
CHANGELOG:
- Fixed most errors in MaMUT
- Added SFS_TCZ_Linker in the newest version
- Introducing: SFS Explorer, a tcl/tk based tool to monitor the number of SFS files mounted in your system, among with tools to mount, open, edit, create, and convert them as you see fit.
- CUPS is now 1.3.3 and requires a login (username and password are provided, though ;-)). This will be changed in Beta 6 again, unless users tell me to leave it
- Added a solution to the wbar "issue" when switching wallpapers: it'll be restarted by XFCE, and a popup window will tell you what to do if another window was in the way when the dock took the snapshot.
- Added more wallpapers and some themes with the Clearlooks and murrine engine (will be stripped to the most popular ones in Beta 6).

TODO for Beta 6:
- FINALLY add a background image to the commandline
- Add a graphical login manager
- Finish my work on CLInet
- Add a small tutorial about how to edit and create SFS files
- the usual bugfixes

See you then.
Last edited by WarMocK on Tue 23 Mar 2010, 22:56, edited 6 times in total.
sue

additional cli tools for K-9

#2 Post by sue »

You need a CLI version of the network setup utility.
Without that, the browser is useless.
Good luck!
WarMocK

#3 Post by WarMocK »

I know. I'm still looking for one (in the few spare minutes I have right now). Any suggestions would be very apprechiated.
Otherwise I need to write one myself - which probably ain't a bad idea aftter all, sine I've been considering how to use dialog for quite some time now.
davec51

CUPS Setup (remote printer)

#4 Post by davec51 »

Project K-9 looks good at the outset. An smb link is set up in backend to link to the smbspool -- that's great. The problem is an "add printer" setup doesn't show smb as an option, and there are very few options for my Epson printer (not any useful one at all). Does anyone know why the smb link doesn't show up in the CUPS setup? I suspect this is a Puppy 4.1.3 problem, not specifically a K-9 problem.
bones01

#5 Post by bones01 »

I'm having some fun with K-9 and it looks fantastic, but there are a few issues.

The mediaplayer in the bar (is that wbar?) doesn't open anything. How can I fix this? Also, how do I add other launch icons?
Where do .sfs files go. I feel silly asking this, but I don't seem to have a mnt/home/ file to import them to.
I'm having some issues with the keyboard setup. Finally worked out how to stop the 'y' key giving me 'z' and vice versa, but the backslash key gives me a #.

Will keep trying a few things, but these changes will obviously make a difference.

Thanks for your help.

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB
WarMocK

#6 Post by WarMocK »

bones01:
the mediaplayer icon in wbar refers to the defaultmediaplayer script in /usr/local/bin. I altered the script to load the program which is stored in the mymediaplayer config file in $HOME/my-applications (I might move them to $HOME/.config soon). The config file sets the script to xine right now, which simply isn't part of the K-9 iso. I'm gonna solve this issue by setting the reference to a popup window telling that this defaultscript isn't configured yet, among with a description how to do that.
The sfs files need to be stored in the same folder as the sfs files of the iso, just like with every other puplet (or puppy linux ;-)).
In order to change the keyboard layout, you need to open 7etc/keymap, and change "de.map" to "us.map". Sorry for that, I forgot to reset the layout to US before making the iso. ^^

A little update on the whole thing:
I'm going to try to create a newer version using puppy barebones 4.21, which means K-9 will benefit from all the improvements that were included, like supporting up to 24 sfs files at once, gfxboot, and various other little things that make your life easier. The main issue I ran into yet was that CUPS won't allow me to print test pages because barebones seems to lack ghostscript support. Once that problem is solved, I can simply run my conversion system over barebones to make it the new K-9 0.2 (which will take less than a second). :D
bones01

#7 Post by bones01 »

Thanks for the reply Warmock. I'm tryin gto use K-9 just as a live cd, so not saving anythign to a hdd or usb. So, still not sure what to do with an Open Office .sfs file.

Also, what needs to be changed for the wbar mediaplayer icon to connect?

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise 5.7.3 on USB
KF6SNJ

#8 Post by KF6SNJ »

Given its name, some sort of Robotic/machinery control software should be included. Bear in mind that K-9 was Dr. Who's robotic traveling companion for a while. Just a thought. I may yet try again on RoboPup (unless somebody else already did), despite my failure with Concordia.
The only windows I have are those on my home.
bones01

#9 Post by bones01 »

I remember K-9. Always wondered how he got up steps?????
Precise 5.7.3 on USB
WarMocK

#10 Post by WarMocK »

bones01 wrote:Thanks for the reply Warmock. I'm tryin gto use K-9 just as a live cd, so not saving anythign to a hdd or usb. So, still not sure what to do with an Open Office .sfs file.

Also, what needs to be changed for the wbar mediaplayer icon to connect?

Bones
SFS files that contain executables need to be used with a frugal installation of puppy linux and won't work with a live-CD (at least the version of puppy I used for K-9. The newer versions of puppy are able to mount sfs files on the fly, linking them correctly so you can use the tools stored in the sfs immediately). But if you gor enough RAM in your system you might try this alternative:
Just double-click the sfs file, it should be mounted automatically (unless filemnt screws up again ;-)). then in the filemanager window popping up (it shows you the top level of the sfs), open a terminal and type
cp -a ./* /
That will copy the content of your sfs into your live-cd system, and you can use the programs normally (until you shut down the PC).
The config files for the wbar-linked scripts are in /root/my-applications. They are called mybrowser,mypaint, etc. You need to open mymediaplayer and replace "xine" with "xfmedia". Save the file, and wbar will open xfmedia instead each time you click the mediaplayer icon.
anradan

Opera Krashes Konstantly

#11 Post by anradan »

I have been running K-9 from usb flash drive for 2 weeks now. My cousins WinXP computer (192 megs ram) hangs if more than 1 app is running...K-9 is so fast in comparison.Although, if 3 or more things are running they all close.
Opera which I hated at first, has won me over....downloads torrents WOW! But opera crashes constantly if I have more than 3 tabs going.
Desktop, menus, icons, fonts -BEAUTIFUL!
Thunar file manager, NO ROX! Thank You!
Tried to "preview" a not completed .avi torrent with xfmedia ...and xorg crashed...tried the xorgwizard ...didnt work....so now am using xvesa....no difference.
Want an MS Office compatible app....tried abiword.....list of dependencies covered the screen....couldnt find them.
I really like K-9....am going to try a dual boot on my own computer (AMD Athalon with 2 GB ram).....maybe no crashes then?
I'd try to make my own Puplet but I cant figure out how youall change the things you change ....like the menu and window colors
Thank you for this awsome puplet and the work that must have went into making it
WarMocK

#12 Post by WarMocK »

anradan:
For the office issue, try this goffice sfs file:
http://www.puppylinux.ca/tpp/NOP/goffice2-1_413.sfs

Or go full throttle and use OpenOffice ;-):
http://www.puppylinux.ca/tpp/NOP/OpenOf ... ma_413.sfs

As for the crashes with xfmedia and more than 3 tabs/programs being opened at the same time: I tried the iso on several computers now, and I didn't find the issue yet. Could you try to open opera from rxvt and copy tell me what the output says, please?

OH WAIT! HA! I almost forgot! :D

Open rxvt, and type "Debug opera" (note the capital D!). I wrote a gtkdialog-based debugging tool for just this kind of problem. The output will be sent to /tmp/Debugoutput. Just attach the file and submit it here, I'll have a look at it and see what might cause you a headache.
anradan

opera crash,,,,system hang

#13 Post by anradan »

I will try to reproduce what was making opera crash...Just to clearify what I mean by crash is the window closing...and having to reopen it.....
So if i open/ load the pages/tabs I usually have open to cause the crash..
Where do I find and how to use rxvt file/app to run opera...I'd love to have This distro tweaked the way I want it .....I,ve been trying many linux flavors for about 6 years now (debian, Mint, Ubuntu Kbuntu Mandriva).... i cant wait to see if i can get a printer and dual moniters (moniter and svideo to TV) working with this (ATI all in Wonder 9600) I'd be using K-9 and bragging to all my geek friendly buds about it.....Sorry for the rant ......I'll get to the tech reply after your answer when you explain the rxvt thing to me ......I'd love to find and report all the bugs I find whilst using My new favorite Linux ....thats if fun to me....who needs sudoku and puzzles when theres a system to figure out.....its like a video game with real applicable gratification "Yeah...I got it Working!"
Yes I am a geek...LOL......Thanks again for this beautifuly functioning Pupplet....and for replying to my queries......PUPPY POWER!
anradan

opera crash,,,,system hang

#14 Post by anradan »

I will try to reproduce what was making opera crash...Just to clearify what I mean by crash is the window closing...and having to reopen it.....
So if i open/ load the pages/tabs I usually have open to cause the crash..
Where do I find and how to use rxvt file/app to run opera...I'd love to have This distro tweaked the way I want it .....I,ve been trying many linux flavors for about 6 years now (debian, Mint, Ubuntu Kbuntu Mandriva).... i cant wait to see if i can get a printer and dual moniters (moniter and svideo to TV) working with this (ATI all in Wonder 9600) I'd be using K-9 and bragging to all my geek friendly buds about it.....Sorry for the rant ......I'll get to the tech reply after your answer when you explain the rxvt thing to me ......I'd love to find and report all the bugs I find whilst using My new favorite Linux ....thats if fun to me....who needs sudoku and puzzles when theres a system to figure out.....its like a video game with real applicable gratification "Yeah...I got it Working!"
Yes I am a geek...LOL......Thanks again for this beautifuly functioning Pupplet....and for replying to my queries......PUPPY POWER!
WarMocK

#15 Post by WarMocK »

rxvt is the standard terminal in K-9 (and Puppy Linux). ;-)
It's the second icon in the dock.
ttuuxxx

#16 Post by ttuuxxx »

your screenshot link is broken :) maybe just post it here?
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)
WarMocK

#17 Post by WarMocK »

Oh no, not again. That is the third time now. -.-

Ok, here it is.
And btw: a spambot commented on my submission page for K-9 on puppylinux.org. Who do I have to cantact so I can get rid of this piece of *COUGH!*?
WarMocK

#18 Post by WarMocK »

Alright folks, Beta1 is finally out! :D
The ISO got slightly bigger because of the reintroduction of tcl/tk and gnocl, but I think it's woth the effort.

Changelog:
+ Added tcl/tk + Gnocl
+ Reintroduced MUT, but heavily modified. The new version is called MaMUT (My advanced Media Utility Tool), and it's able to mount ISO files and sfs containers now. Just type in the /path/to/file and click the button, and MaMUT will try to mount it. However the system still is pretty buggy. I'll try to fix it as soon as possible.
+ Introduction of Putenprint, a tiny printing wizard that will send the selected pic or document file to the standard printer, among with the information about the layout (landscape or normal), the sheet size, and the scaling. Right now the file will be center printed, but I'm already working on a way how to include 1/1, 2/2 and 4/4 layouts.
+ Added ShortCut, a tcl/tk based application starter that is displayed as soon as you press CTRL+ALT+SPACE. You can start the programs by either clicking the icons displayed OR by pressing the correspoding key named at the right to the icon.
+ Improved the "helpdesk" text to match it the newest tools I added.
+ Added "Debug..." and "Print..." to the XFCE menu
+ The most important change: I replaced the useless yafsplash box with my newest tool, IntroWizard. This wizard is started whenever you log into X (unless you uncheck the box for the auto startup) and guides you through the entire setup for adding printers, scanners, connecting to the web, and for the next version of K-9: adding user accounts).

TODO list:
* Adding CLInet, a tool for setting up your network connection
* Adding another step to IntroWiz: a brief tutorial to explain linux newbies how Linux works and what the differenced to Windows are.
* Adding multiuser support: While I already can modify K-9 to add users and allow them to start XFCE, the Account Control Center is still buggy, and I need to finalize the entire security framework and decide which tools belong to which group.
*Moving to Puppy Barebones 4.21 to lose more fat - and to get a properly working GRUB installer again, as the one from NOP 4.13 seems to be broken.

The link to the ISO on my first page has been updated. Have fun with it!
aragon

#19 Post by aragon »

@ warmock
* Adding CLInet, a tool for setting up your network connection
this would be great!

aragon
WarMocK

#20 Post by WarMocK »

@aragon:
it'll be just one of several dialog tools I've planned (but the first one that needs to be added). The goal for the long term is to add a special "startup tool", CLICommander, which is supposed to redirect you to the various setup tools for configuring your mouse, keyboard, X-Server etc. Once that is done, I'll have a fully functional (and pretty failsafe) CLI environment that is usable even by newbies.