FireFox Printing

Using applications, configuring, problems
tlchost

FireFox Printing

#1 Post by tlchost »

FireFox 3.52 running on Puppy 4.21Retro. When I select print or page setup from the Firefox menu, the application dies.

The printer works normally under other applications....any experience/suggestions?

thanks
Thom

tomasrey88

What R U printing?

#2 Post by tomasrey88 »

What are you printing? If you are printing something that requires java or adobe documents, then it may be compatibility issue of softwares, not hardwares, since print is ok for anything other than firfox. Try a differnt java; use sun java if you're not using that. Try a different document handler for stuff you are pulling off of firefox to print. Give me some more details so that I may help you (what are you printing, what printer, what softwares; cups, etc).

I answered your question, I invite you to answer mine. (thanks):
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=45715

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

Interesting. Print preview is notoriously crash-prone in Firefox, but not print or page setup (to my knowledge). I haven't tried 3.5.x, although I've seen plenty of complaints about crashes. There has been talk about it in the comments on Barry's blog - you might find something there that helps.
any experience/suggestions?
Start firefox from the command line, and see if it prints any error messages when it crashes.
tomasrey88 wrote:I answered your question, I invite you to answer mine. (thanks):
Please don't do that here :)
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

Well 3.5 is pretty new and printing is not something that gets tested much so this may come under the bugs section.
Either there is something buggy in the firefox release (printing will have been tested by mozilla)
There is a bug in gtk2 libraries (was cause of flash crashing)
Firefox 3.5 needs a later version of gtk2

mike

EdV

Firefox Printing

#5 Post by EdV »

I also am suffering from the FireFox printing crash. Strangely enough, Printing Preview seems to work just fine!

Trying some of the suggestions here, I got this error message when running FireFox from a shell/terminal:

/usr/lib/firefox/firefox-bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/printbackends/libprintbackend-cups.so: undefined symbol: httpBlocking

I noticed that a newer version of GTK2 is needed for a less crash prone Flash player so I figure maybe I need to update my GTK2 for this printing problem. Unfortunately, I found nothing on this forum about upgrading GKT2 much less finding a dot.pup.

Anybody have any other suggestions to get printing working with FireFox...

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/printbackends/libprintbackend-cups.so: undefined symbol: httpBlocking
yep yet another gtk2 update..oh life on windows is much easier :D

mike

downsouth

firefox crashes / print issues

#7 Post by downsouth »

The pet at the site below fixes a lot of firefox 3 crashes.

http://www.4shared.com/file/96370942/9c ... pdate.html

FF3 printing can be a problem - use dejavu sans (or sans-serif) as the default font, and make a file gtkrc in folders /etc/gtk-2.0 and /usr/etc/gtk-2.0 (may need to create these folders).

gtkrc must contain the following line: gtk-print-backends = "cups,lpr,file"

Otherwise, junk may print, or 'print to file' may be the only option.

downsouth

#8 Post by downsouth »

Last edited by downsouth on Sun 23 Aug 2009, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.

downsouth

#9 Post by downsouth »

Last edited by downsouth on Sun 23 Aug 2009, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.

downsouth

#10 Post by downsouth »

Last edited by downsouth on Sun 23 Aug 2009, 12:20, edited 1 time in total.

downsouth

#11 Post by downsouth »

oops - latency issues!

disciple

#12 Post by disciple »

Weird... I got a topic notification for each one of your posts... must happen if they are posted at the same time...
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

tlchost

#13 Post by tlchost »

mikeb wrote: yep yet another gtk2 update..oh life on windows is much easier :D
mike
Heretic....but it is...like creating a folder on the desktop and moving little used icons to it

I believe the problem was a faulty usb cable....once replaced Firefox prints and pront previews...the print preview not working is a mystery.

Because I am not technical, I tested the other cable in Windows....and instead of Firefox crashing, I got the "You have a problem with the printer" message....whicg seemed much saner than simply closing the browser.

Thom

mikeb

#14 Post by mikeb »

I believe the problem was a faulty usb cable....once replaced Firefox prints and pront previews...the print preview not working is a mystery.
ah ha...odd but true..I had a cheap usb extension cable that was fine on usb 1 but played havoc on usb 2.

Windows is easier cos yer pay for that facility...but then you have to pay to protect it, and then pay when it fails anyway :D (ok I don't but joey and joess public do)

There does seems to be a gtk incompatability in there though...could be what is affecting the preview.

mike

DaveS

#15 Post by DaveS »

Dont forget you have to pay when Microsoft decides you must have a later version too..........
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

mikeb

#16 Post by mikeb »

Dont forget you have to pay when Microsoft decides you must have a later version too..........
I actually find linux is a far bigger headache when it comes to needing new versions....at least i can still run everything I need on windows 2000 :)

mike

DaveS

#17 Post by DaveS »

I kinda know what you mean Mike. Sometimes you have to swim against the tide a bit with Linux......................
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

tlchost

#18 Post by tlchost »

DaveS wrote:I kinda know what you mean Mike. Sometimes you have to swim against the tide a bit with Linux......................
And sometimes, to be correct, you get to do the breast stroke with your feet tired together, and lead weights around your waist.

To me, OS are like tools, most likely you need more than one to get the job(s) done, and no one has yet to produce the Ultimate Shopsmith http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combination_machine OS/Application.

tlchost

#19 Post by tlchost »

tlchost wrote: I believe the problem was a faulty usb cable
Well, I believed wrong....it seems I had booted ChoicePup up, instead of 4.21retro....so it prints in ChoicePup, but doesn't interface with CPS PDF correctly.

Thom