Just got Puppy 1.0.8 to boot, so now what....

Booting, installing, newbie
Beener

Just got Puppy 1.0.8 to boot, so now what....

#1 Post by Beener »

I have been struggling with getting a Live CD to actually boot on my archaic system but I just got Puppy 1.0.8 to boot on my Dell Inspiron 3500
64mb ram, 4GB Harddrive, Pentium II processor.

It looks awesome and it's almost too hard to type through the tears of joy. I do have a question though, is there a link in the archives that will help me install this version on my system? Secondly, if I can boot 1.0.8 is it reasonable to assume that I should be able to get the Live CD of 3.01 that I have to boot.

Should I just stick with 1.0.8 or should I try to get as new as possible?

I guess that was a third question...dam, that now a forth.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I really don't know. I'd have thought that newer Puppy version would work at least as well as older ones. Have you actually tried booting the 3.01 CD? (I assume you are booting a live CD.) If it doesn't boot, what error messages have you gotten? It may be that the CD drive has trouble reading the particular brand of CD you put 3.01 on. It happens. I'd use a CD-RW if possible, until I got the kinks worked out.
Beener

#3 Post by Beener »

Same CD's, same burn rate. I get hung up on the checking for puppy files on disk drives message that others have gotten when they don't have enough RAM to boot. I assumed that I just needed an older version that was a little more compact.

I have heard that all I need to do is hit F2 at the start up and input puppy pfix=ram, but I haven't tried that yet.
Beener

#4 Post by Beener »

Just tried it, doesn't work.

Again, is there a tutorial in the archives to help me install 1.0.8 on my system??
mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

There should be a menu entry somwhere for a gui installer...if so I would try that first.

You may need some preparation first...if puppy is the only system to be going on there then a full install to an ext3 partition would be suitable...with a swap partition at the end of the drive.

If the installer exists (been a long time :) ) then great...keep asking questions either way

puppy 1 series used a previous version kernel which is smaller and seems to work well with your hardware

mike