Problems Playing Streaming Quicktime Movies

Using applications, configuring, problems
robarchangel

Problems Playing Streaming Quicktime Movies

#1 Post by robarchangel »

Hi all,

I posted here ( http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=46164 ) a long string of issues, and Flash suggested I not post a braided thread like that, because it makes forum users less likely to respond. So now I want to narrow down my focus and ask for different help.

I seem to have solved the DVD player issue, thankfully. Now, loading a DVD and clicking on its icon in the lower left seems to automatically start it in Gxine, and I found the toolbar that allows me to advance chapters and change subtitles, etc. I feel confident and satisfied in all that.

Additionally, I re-burned my 4.21 ISO on a new CD-R and saved to my hard disk, rather than as a multisession CD (the previous one has some issue loading that I haven't deciphered yet and don't care to investigate right now) and this helps to speed up the boot time considerably.

One issue that still looms: I'd love to play streaming MOV files from Apple's trailer page, and Puppy tries, but cannot seem to complete the task. Clicking on one of the trailer size options pops up a window that says "Quicktime required. Free download" and hyperlinks to a download page which does me no good. But, tweaking it a bit by copying the link location and removing the extraneous height and width instructions appended to the URL, I can prompt Gxine to start up as a plugin and attempt to play the file. But I get the following error message:

"The xine engine failed to start.
No demuxer found. Stream format not recognized."

I see this as progress, because it sounds like I only need to find this demuxer to have access to these streaming files, albeit a tad circuitously (copying the link location and all).

Can anyone help?

Thanks so much,
Rob

omskates

I'd like to know too, thanks!!

#2 Post by omskates »

Quicktime on apple trailers site?

barefoot

yes

#3 Post by barefoot »

i think robarchangel is indeed talking about trailers from apple.com/trailers. i experienced the exact same behaviors from that site when i had gxine. now i have mplayer and i've figured out a way to play the trailers in both firefox and seamonkey. i'm running puppy 4.3.1 full install.

here's what i did:

went to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and renamed the two gxine plugins adding ".bak" to the end of each. this makes the files unrecognizable to the browsers. just remove the .bak if you want to use the plugin again.

using the puppy packet manager installed mplayer, mlayer_codecs_full and mplayerplug-in

i learned from another forum that apple.com/trailers began blocking the default user agents of browsers running on linux. i also learned that one can change one's user agent with the 'user agent switcher' add-on for firefox and seamonkey.

so installed the add-on in firefox, and navigated to Tools > Default User Agent > Edit User Agents. created a new user agent and entered in the following:

Description: Quicktime 7.6.2
User Agent: QuickTime/7.6.2 (qtver=7.6.2;os=Windows NT 5.1Service Pack 3)

did the same for seamonkey.

now i can switch to my new user agent, right click on a trailer, select copy link location, paste the url into the address bar, hit enter and let mplayer do the rest.

i was able to left-click and play trailers in crunchbang and wattos, both ubuntu-based distros, but in puppy i get the "QuickTime Required. Free Download." message.

by the way as my first post here i'd just like to say thank you to all the puppy people. this is a sweet distro.

tubby

#4 Post by tubby »

Nice first post barefoot, i used your default agent post in my firefox and i managed to get to the buffering screen and waited until it was 100%.
It still did not open in my browser but i navigated to /tmp and copied the mplay file that was there to another folder and i managed to open it ok with qvlc.

barefoot

#5 Post by barefoot »

sweet. glad you found a way. i never knew where the buffered videos live, so good to know. btw, credit for the user agent workaround doesn't go to me. it's all over the place being that it is the fix to a problem for all linux-using apple-trailer-viewing people out there.

EDIT: apparently, some linux users can view the trailers, without changing the user agent. hmmm....
Last edited by barefoot on Thu 18 Feb 2010, 03:26, edited 1 time in total.

tubby

#6 Post by tubby »

barefoot, something else i have found out is that once it starts buffering you can navigate to the mplay file in /tmp and it opens with qvlc as a hd stream with no juttering or pauses.

barefoot

#7 Post by barefoot »

aha! neato.

nooby

#8 Post by nooby »

wow, you guys rocks. Barefoot a really wonderful description there.

As a newbie I barely understand and don't dare to try all those changes. But good to know there are ways to do it until they set up some code to recognize we did it.
Last edited by nooby on Fri 19 Feb 2010, 05:24, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

barefoot

#9 Post by barefoot »

my quest is to get my puppy to do everything my windows can do and playing those trailers is one of those things. i'm probably a little ocd about it but hey ocd produces results lemme know if you want to try the workarounds and i'll break down the steps a little more for ya.

nooby

#10 Post by nooby »

I wish you to succeed but I am not good at suggesting how to.
Maybe we have to google and see if other linux distros can do it and the new Woof scripts can include those packages hopefully and make a SuperPuppy Linux that can do what we want it to do.

Unless the company that own the rights take us to court for trying.

Trailers should be something a decent distro should be able to look at.

I try to look of SuperOS Ubuntu can and if Ubuntu KDE CE can do it.
I be back in an hour or so.

Edit I am in SuperOS Ubuntu now and the Avatar trailer played in all three small medium and large.
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avatar/index.html

so now we only need to find a way to allow Puppy to do it too.

SuperOS is a plain ordinary Ubuntu 9.10 that they have added codex to.
LifeHacker guy used a program that allowed him to remaster and make new iso but copyright forbid him to say it is plain ubuntu so it is named SuperOS instead.

I am in frugal mode using it now from my NTFS HDD with Vista on it. Booting with grub4DOS using EasyBCD Neogrub. Not because it is best or anything but the only program I managed to learn all the others was more abstract and way above me to get.

Edit Here I am on an USB with iso frugal install Linux Mint KDE Community Edition something.

I am too new to it but it is not Gnome for sure. Looks very different but it does play the Apple trailers out of the box too.
My version has problem with freezing if I accidently hit something with double click if it should be single click so prefer to use SuperOS instead. But this one have codecs that the others don't have.

so what is different that makes them do it?

We need to test a Puppy that has access to Ubuntu repositories maybe? Which one is that?

barefoot

#11 Post by barefoot »

thanks for the good wishes, nooby

i'm surprised you were able to play the trailers on superos and linux mint out-of-the-box. am i correct in understanding that you did not change the user agent of the browser and were able to play trailers from apple.com/trailers using superos and mint?

in my experience with crunchbang, wattos, and puppy, i had to change the user agent in order for the trailers to play. sometimes, it is necissary to switch back to the default user agent. that's why the user agent switcher add-on is handy.

if superos and linux mint really do play them out-of-the-box, i too would like to know what allows them to do this while puppy, crunchbang, and wattos cannot.

that said, i'm not terribly interested in researching it :D

nooby

#12 Post by nooby »

The sad thing me have very poor memory. When I try to do frugal install of ubuntu variants they only allow me to have one at a time so I don't want to change now to the other one just to test again. But I have them on usb too.

SuperOS and Linux Mint KDE CE 8 and I have tested other Mint too.

If it is important I can test them again today.

I didn't have to change any user id but the very bad thing about the KDE CE is that I fail to mount the drive that it is booted from. None on the Mint forum seems to care due to me doing frugal install and that is so alien to them that they ignore me asking such dumb questions like using their beloved Mint in frugal install. And if I ask here then people tell me to ask on Mint instead so it is frustrating to not know if it is done by design or me failing something very obvious that they know but don't care to tell me how to get access to the NTFS HDD. One guy said it is even impossible to boot from NTFS. Well I just did that so that is not impossible. And SuperOS let me both read and write from the booted drive so it is not an Ubuntu thing either, it seems to be exclusively a KDE CE thing. Why they set it up that way I have no idea. I have to take it apart and change a No to a Yes or something. But my knowledge are not on that level.

barefoot

#13 Post by barefoot »

don't retest the trailers on my account. it's not that important to me.

are you trying to do a frugal install of mint on an ntfs partition? sounds tricky..

nooby

#14 Post by nooby »

I retested just for the fun of it.

SuperOS did show the trailers but puppy Stardust did not?
Oh have to test that once more to be sure.

Edit after rebooting and using puppy stardust. No it says one need quicktime. Wow all that work is needed then and for how long until they change it again?

original text

what have SuperOS done to be allowed to see them then?

To boot is very simple. To make it save needs a programmer sort of and that is not me. I guess one have to recompile the kernel or something and add code from slackware if that is possible.

Here is how I do it.

Download the SuperOS iso and place it at primary internal disk C:/ usually in windows NTFS.

Extract the directories and files using 7th and then do a EasyBCD Neogrub so you get a grub4DOS dualbooting and write in the menu.lst this
title superos

find --set-root /casper/vmlinuz

kernel /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper splash --
initrd /casper/initrd.lz

boot
kernel need to be a continues line and not broken

Take a long time to boot due to it search for index files that a CDROM is supposed to have but apart from that it is very stable and just works.

But there is not need for it because puppy stardust can be custom made to be as good as SuperOS and puppy save changes which SuperOS does not. And one can have as many puppy as one want while ubuntu can only be one at a time. Or they hook files from each other and crash.

tubby

#15 Post by tubby »

Just a quick update, clips now play in browser window via mplayer.
After it has buffered a bit on my slow connection pressing play starts the clip.
It seems to only work if there is a choice of trailers to choose from, after the first connection switching to another clip starts the buffering and thus the viewing.
Have fun.

omskates

#16 Post by omskates »

Barefoot I like your avatar, I love that movie. I can confirm that Linux Mint 8 Helena plays Apple trailers out of box.

Kal

#17 Post by Kal »

I have Mint 8 CE KDE and it doesn't go full screen (very small) on the Apple site.

I fixed Puppy 4.3.1 by compiling the newest mplayer plug-ins from their daily builds, dated 2010/2/21. I also replaced Mint's with it and that worked there too.

nooby

#18 Post by nooby »

Compiling? so that is something me have to learn then. :) Wow I mean that is difficult stuff is it not?

will woof allow us in the future to make a puppyfied linux mint that behave as well as puppy but have the out of the box capacity of a Mint?

Just asking. :)

Kal

#19 Post by Kal »

Compiling? so that is something me have to learn then.
Hi nooby

It was a lot simpler for me to compile a newer mplayer plug-in in Puppy, then to try rounding up all the compiling programs for Mint, which is already 4.1Gb in sizes compared to my Puppy's 1.5Gb, on my hard drive with the compiler. The compiling in Puppy is in one module, devx_431.sfs.

Here is information on compiling at:

http://www.puppylinux.com/development/compileapps.htm
http://www.puppylinux.org/wikka/Compiling

and of course there is info and help here.

My KDE Puppy has more programs installed (that I use), than in Mint.

I am just lucky that the plug-ins worked in Mint also.

I do rate Mint high with a B+ overall. I only rate Puppy one step higher because it is so much faster and a lot smaller. My Puppy's Firefox has upgraded to 3.6 and Mint is still waiting at 3.5.8.

Good Luck, Kal

nooby

#20 Post by nooby »

Thanks Kal, is there any way to download your version of Puppy then. Sounds cool indeed. I have what is in my signature in case you have very different hardware.

Would be fun to test it out.