Cannot connect using a WPC54G LinkSys wifi adapter [SOLVED]

Booting, installing, newbie
wizard_chef

Cannot connect using a WPC54G LinkSys wifi adapter [SOLVED]

#1 Post by wizard_chef »

I can say with a certain amount of sureness that the WPC54G, ver. 1.2 LinkSys card is NOT supported by puppy. I have tried every driver found by probing and have loaded the windows wrapper with the driver off the install disk, and nada. Do not waste your time trying to get puppy to see your LAN if you are using this card!!

I had a second card, a Netgear pcmcia card, that I replaced the LinkSys card with, and it came right up after a little finaggling. One word of caution. I could never get the password (using WEP) to work unless I used the hex version. Text never worked, with or without the "s:".

-------------------------

I am running ('hobbling' is more the correct term) Puppy 4.3 on a Dell Latitude L400 700 mHz Pentium III, 256 MB RAM, 18 GB drive, and trying like hell to connect to a LinkSys notebook adapter WPC54G, ver 1.2, card to a LinkSys router.

This notebook is configured as dual boot, and in the Windows partition the card works perfectly, connects fine, so please, no suggestions about the router.

I have a MAC address set for the noteboook, but since the Windows OS connects, that should not be an issue. First, a couple of questions that are not clarified by the Puppy notes:

1. When I go through the connection wizard, it finds my card 'wlan0'. Does this means the driver is loaded, or do I still need to load the driver? (Answer: it means the driver is loaded if you see the device in the list.)

2. If the answer to 1 is 'load the driver,' why is it that a common card like the LinkSys card is not in the list of drivers?? Some of these devices I never heard of. (Answer: because this card uses Broadband chips and is most likely not supported by any of the drivers.)

3. Assuming the answer to (1) is 'the driver is loaded and you don't need to worry about that,' here is what I have tried to far and nothing works:

- constructing a profile that uses the SSID of the router and sets in the password using:
* s:TextPassword
* [hex version of password]

I have looked for a couple of hours on the forum and I see various suggestions, but nothing that works for me.

Help here very much appreciated. Is this an unsupported card, by chance? (Answer: YES)

I have tried all of the following over the past 1/2 day and nothing works