Pfind searching hard drive

Using applications, configuring, problems
ranprieur

Pfind searching hard drive

#1 Post by ranprieur »

I don't know if this is new in 4.3 or if I just noticed it. I was puzzled that Pfind couldn't find a file I knew was on my hard drive, so I went into the advanced options, and saw that /mnt is not included in the "Search in" field, and /initrd is specifically excluded.

I'd like to change the options so I can search the hard drive, but I'm thinking there must have been a good reason for this. Will anything bad happen if I let Pfind search /mnt or /initrd?
rjbrewer

#2 Post by rjbrewer »

/mnt is part of the file path,
pfind wants part of the file "name".

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs
ranprieur

#3 Post by ranprieur »

rjbrewer wrote:/mnt is part of the file path,
pfind wants part of the file "name".
Right. I'll try to explain it better: If I put a file on my hard drive, call it name.jpg, with the file path mnt/home/images/name.jpg , and then I go into Pfind and enter "name" or "name.jpg" in the box, and click Search, it says "No files found!" When I click the Advanced button in Pfind, in the "Search in" box, it says:
"/bin [OR] /etc [OR] /lib [OR] /opt [OR] /sbin [OR] /tmp [OR] /usr [OR] /var"
And in the "Exclude" box it says "/initrd"

If I remove /initrd from the "Exclude" box, and add "[OR] /mnt" to the "Search in" box, then ... OK this is strange ... it still doesn't find the file. Maybe because /mnt/home is a symbolic link. No problem -- if I add "[OR] /initrd" to the "Search in" box, then it does find the file. And then to get it to search the hard drive by default, I just have to click the Pfind configure button, and then the "Search options" button, and then add "[OR] /initrd" ... and then it turns out I also have to restart Puppy. Now Pfind searches the hard drive.

But my question is: it seems strange to make the default behavior of a file searching utility to ignore the hard drive, so I'm wondering if there's a good reason for this, or if I'm safe in configuring Pfind to always search the hard drive.
rjbrewer

#4 Post by rjbrewer »

I only use normal (full) installs.

Created a directory in /mnt/home named "images".
Created a file in /mnt/home/images named "name".
Typed "name" in pfind; says it's located in /images/name.
Clicking the symlink /home initially only moved the
path back 2 steps to /.

Same thing in 4.1.2 or 4.3.1

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs
zigbert

#5 Post by zigbert »

ranprieur
There is no problem to search all mounted drives. Pfind is narrowing the search for speed reason. You should try to use the radiobuttons in the simple search box. The set to 'Personal', it will search /mnt/ [OR] /root.

I have chosen to exclude /initrd, to avoid double search-hits. If you experience something else, please try to give an example that I can reproduce.

Sigmund
DaveS

#6 Post by DaveS »

Zigbert, I sometimes think the default behavior should be to search everything like earlier versions with the 'options' being available for more advanced users if they want to use them.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!
zigbert

#7 Post by zigbert »

DaveS

:D This has been an endless long discussion....... I have been thrown from edge to edge. Some agree completely with you. Others find it completely in sane to do so. I have tried to offer easy choices to both parts in the great war of default-search-settings.

Sigmund
DaveS

#8 Post by DaveS »

zigbert wrote:DaveS

:D This has been an endless long discussion....... I have been thrown from edge to edge. Some agree completely with you. Others find it completely in sane to do so. I have tried to offer easy choices to both parts in the great war of default-search-settings.

Sigmund
LOL........ who would be a developer eh!
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!
ranprieur

#9 Post by ranprieur »

Sigmund, I totally agree with excluding /initrd to avoid double hits.

I've done a bunch of tests and I think this is an anomaly with my system. I've just tried it on my older computer and everything works as it should. I'm on a Dell Latitude D610 running Puppy 4.3.1, from the CD and the save files, not installed to the hard drive. And when I search for any file on the hard drive, setting the radio buttons to "personal files" or to "all files", it says "No files found!"

The only way I can get it to search the hard drive is to set it to "all files" ("personal files" doesn't work), and also use the "configure" button. I have the configuration permanently set to include /initrd, and when I use the configure button and then the search options button, I can see "[OR] /mnt [OR] /initrd" in there, so I don't have to change anything. But I do have to actually click the configure button and then the search options button, and then click "Ok" twice. Then, using "all files", it finds the file in /initrd. Under no circumstances does it show a file in /mnt. And then, if I set the radio button back to personal files and search, it somehow resets the error -- it doesn't find the file, and still doesn't find it if I set it back to "all files". I can only find the file again if I repeat opening configure and search options, clicking Ok twice, and then searching with "all files".

If anyone else has a D610 they can test this. For now, since this is a minor bug that seems to only be happening on my one machine, I'm content to let it stay an unsolved mystery, but thanks for the help!