Facebook stopped working in Puppy

Using applications, configuring, problems
infectiia

Facebook stopped working in Puppy

#1 Post by infectiia »

Not sure if this is in the correct section.. Ive been using puppy linux for most of this year after being shown a link to it and i love it, but the last few weeks for some reason facebook wont work on it, i can read status updates but not mail, and cant post comments. I tried updating my browser and its not made any difference.

any suggestions? I can access it fine on my daughters lap top with windows, it just doesn't seem to like Linux any more.

ndujoe1

Facebook problems

#2 Post by ndujoe1 »

I discovered by installing Firefox, that it would render the changes that are being made on Facebook.

mikeb

#3 Post by mikeb »

I think microsoft's investment in facebook might be related :roll:

mike

infectiia

#4 Post by infectiia »

ive tried updating the firefox browser and its not worked, do you have a specific link or programme you could recommend for me to try?

ill try anything cos right now im sitting with 2 pcs on lol,

it would be just my luck for microsoft to block linux on facebook, i cant use msn either but ebuddy is a good enough substitute ;)

thankyou for the replies :)

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

Pidgin might work better for you with msn...I don't know of anyone who has it working on attym.

I wonder if a bit of browser spoofing might help...ie make the browser appear to be IE to the site....it's a setting in about:config ...a bit of general googling might shed some light.

I cannot test for you as I would not touch facebook with yours :D

mike

scabz

#6 Post by scabz »

I am on facebook right now and no problems, my g/f is on it lke 6 hours a day.
i see no problems, mail, comments, really everything works right for me.

facebook tested with newiest firefox and flash manual install for both, works great.

facebook doesnt work right with older seamonkey and i havent tested newiest one.

opera 10 and above works right for me.

maybe go here to install firefox http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 57&t=45030

infectiia

#7 Post by infectiia »

thanks for tall the advice, i reinstalled everything and it still wont work, so im at a bit of a loss. Looks like im gonna have to try another linux system cos its seriously getting on my nerves now only being able to access it on the laptop or via mobile phone. :evil:

scabz

#8 Post by scabz »

issues like this probably isnt your browser then if you are current it that. there has been problems with my g/f facebook and not on my facebook, i would do the same tasks on mine but wont work on hers like they could be having db issues.
my g/f's facebook got fixed a few weeks later.

i have run my own networking site b4 and database problems suck &*S

noalternative

#9 Post by noalternative »

infectiia wrote:thanks for tall the advice, i reinstalled everything and it still wont work, so im at a bit of a loss. Looks like im gonna have to try another linux system cos its seriously getting on my nerves now only being able to access it on the laptop or via mobile phone. :evil:
Sounds like you have a setting messed up in your browser. Check your javascript setting. Maybe it is turned off. Edit/Prefences/Advanced/Scripts and Plugins , Navigator should be checked. Do you have the noscript addon. If you do you need to allow or whitelist facebook since it is supposed to weed out javascript.

If that doesn't work erase the mozilla file in roxfiler. You need to open roxfiler, click the eye to get it to show hidden files . Erase the mozilla file, then start your browser again. A new mozilla file will be created and you will be back to default settings.

mikeb

#10 Post by mikeb »

I'm amazed how one website can cause so much chaos......i hope we discover some useful information from all this...just post everything that you find

regards

mike

technosaurus

#11 Post by technosaurus »

On the <about:config> page right-click and choose New -> String.
Name it "general.useragent.extra.xfake" (w/o the quotes)
and give it a value of "not Firefox/2.0.0.18" (w/o the quotes)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

disciple

#12 Post by disciple »

My brother says Facebook works in Seamonkey in Puppy 4.1.1 (SM 1.1.11 I think), except he cannot make a new scribble on a wall (?? or something ??) - but he can comment on someone else's.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

sikpuppy

#13 Post by sikpuppy »

Changing the User Agent is the key: anything relating to Microsoft will need this to be done.

I have this link for making Seamonkey behave. It also works if you are using a beta version of any Mozilla browser, since these put the beta codename instead of the proper User Agent in the settings.

To be frank, any compiled Mozilla product has to have this setting changed to be legal, along with the name of the product and various other things.[/url]
ASUS A1000, 800Mhz PIII Coppermine!, 192Mb RAM, 10Gb IBM Travelstar HDD, Build date August 2001.

mikeb

#14 Post by mikeb »

So whats the legality of the microsoft web borgs attempting to enforce windows only websites? :D
mike

sikpuppy

#15 Post by sikpuppy »

mikeb wrote:So whats the legality of the microsoft web borgs attempting to enforce windows only websites? :D
mike
Well, since they allow Firefox, Opera and also IE then there is no problem.
ASUS A1000, 800Mhz PIII Coppermine!, 192Mb RAM, 10Gb IBM Travelstar HDD, Build date August 2001.

mikeb

#16 Post by mikeb »

Changing the User Agent is the key: anything relating to Microsoft will need this to be done.
but this is needed for full functionality.....?..not yer average joe setting

mike

ps what makes you think I don't like facebook??? :D

brymway

#17 Post by brymway »

Facebook works fine with 4.3.1 using Seamonkey 2.0 on my computer and brother in laws. He had a bunch of problems and upgraded to 2.0 and he reported that Seamonkey finally rendered Facebook correctly.
[url]http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html[/url]

mikeb

#18 Post by mikeb »

He had a bunch of problems
they will pale into insignificance now that facebook is working:)

so is this subject solved as such?

mike

infectiia

#19 Post by infectiia »

well im still no further forward, ive downloaded the new firefox 3.5, the beta 3.6, all the pup get things that had to go wtih the various ones, redone java and adobe and still facebook isnt working.

I give up, ill stick to it on my phone and the daughters laptop :roll:

thanks for all the help tho :D

technosaurus

#20 Post by technosaurus »

can anyone report if the firefox or seamonkey that works does or does not have the --disable-ldap flag in <about:buildconfig>
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].