Cannot mount optical drive

Booting, installing, newbie
BenNex

Cannot mount optical drive

#1 Post by BenNex »

I am almost a complete newbie to linux and just installed puppy 4.31. I have it running from USB on my Dell Latitude. When I go to mount the optical drive with pmount it gives an error and says unable to mount drive. I tried using mut and got the same result.

All advice appreciated!
paulh

#2 Post by paulh »

I'm a relative newbie to Puppy myself. However, just off the top of my head, I was wondering whether you were trying to mount an optical drive without any disk in it. If there was a disk in the drive, what sort was it? Data? Music? Rewritable? Other? If you have a Puppy live CD on a plain vanilla write-once CD, you might try sticking that in the optical drive and seeing if it will mount.
BenNex

#3 Post by BenNex »

paulh wrote:If there was a disk in the drive, what sort was it? Data? Music? Rewritable? Other? If you have a Puppy live CD on a plain vanilla write-once CD, you might try sticking that in the optical drive and seeing if it will mount.
I've tried with CD-R and DVD-R, no result.

I just saw a recent thread on this forum with a similar problem. Seems like the solution might be to go back to an earlier kernel. Just when I have spent 2 days installing applications and customising puppy... :roll:
mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

I would say retro kernel too..seems optical drive support was the first to go..I get the same problem

mike

ps if you feel ambitious I swapped kernels on an existing setup for the same reason....swap vmlinuz, initrd.gz and the /lib/modules/(kernelversion)...