Problems changing wallpaper on Puppy 4.20

Booting, installing, newbie
QBall2U

Problems changing wallpaper on Puppy 4.20

#1 Post by QBall2U »

I am using Puppy 4.20 on an IBM Thinkpad R32 with 256MB RAM with the save file (home) on an USB hard drive (the laptop's hard drive is only 20GB and it has Windows XP installed on it...I rarely use it, just keep it there in case I need to help my sis with problems on Windows on her pc).

I got it to change once but now NOTHING works to change my wallpaper! I've tried it via the control panel as well as through the Desktop > 'Wallpaper - Set backdrop image'. It's like the links are dead or something ... I've tried it through both JWM and IWM with the same results. Is there some config file I can open and change the wallpaper?

This is how the problem started: I changed the wallpaper from the default one then I tried changing the background on the pwidget panel (nothing changed there) to a dark background and instead, I got a dark panel in the lower part of the wallpaper that is actually also somewhat below (underneath) the taskbar and blocking off that part of the wallpaper! (am I making myself clear here?)

[EDIT: forgot to add]
also in JWM, the taskbar has disappeared! Pwidget shows on the right-hand side of the screen and I can still right-click on the desktop to display the menu to bring up another program or to log off. How can I get the taskbar (with the clock, etc) back?

Thanks for any / all help,
QBall
paulh

#2 Post by paulh »

Simplest answer might be to reinstall 4.2 or upgrade to 4.31. This assumes you do not have a lot of additions or files that needed to be backed up first. It's what I'd do, but I don't know puppy's ins and outs well enough for a better answer. Good luck.
PANZERKOPF

Re: Problems changing wallpaper on Puppy 4.20

#3 Post by PANZERKOPF »

Wallpaper changer script (/usr/local/apps/Wallpaper/AppRun) crashes being parsed by gtkdialog.
Open it with any editor and delete all strings contains tag "<Separator></Separator>".
mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »