how to add programs (with no category infos in pet) in menu?

Booting, installing, newbie
ABNormal

how to add programs (with no category infos in pet) in menu?

#1 Post by ABNormal »

i'm installing a program (dosemu) from this link http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=20380
i started pet, and it installed the files BUT says that package doesn't has category informations so it will not showed in menu list.
so 2 questions:

1) how to manually add a program into menu? (where to find program, how to insert into a category...)

2) couldn't be more clever add a request in petget program that ask to decide where to add, in menu, an "uncategorized" program?
or
2b) add a "unknown" group in menu where to put all programs without informations?

thx
sidders

#2 Post by sidders »

1) how to manually add a program into menu? (where to find program, how to insert into a category...)
You could create a .desktop file or it. They can be found in
/usr/share/applications an have the extention .desktop and they have the same format, so you could copy one an then edit it.

It will have to have a category, maybe utillity.

When i have used dosemu i have created desktop iles for programs that run in dosemu, never for dosemu itself
ABNormal

#3 Post by ABNormal »

thx for your answer
i did an other way
using a wbar i've put that program into that bar (editing .wbar in root).

but i think that category "utility" or "others" and a way to -easily- move icons from tha category into others should be a must to help beginners in the use of puppy linux, imho