Unable to download Quirky 008 from Ibiblio

Using applications, configuring, problems

Unable to download Quirky 008 from Ibiblio

#1 Post by 3133 »

I have just spent four hours trying to download quirky 008 from Ibiblio with no success. What is the point of uploading to a site which can't provide the download within a reasonable time? Is there no alternative?
Puppy User since Ver 0.4

raffy

opera

#2 Post by raffy »

Try using Opera browser (which can continue interrupted downloads), or time your download for midnight or early morning in the US (that makes the site less busy).
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

upnorth

ibiblio mirror

#3 Post by upnorth »

CatDude

#4 Post by CatDude »

Hello 3133
3133 wrote:I have just spent four hours trying to download quirky 008 from obiblio with no success. What is the point of uploading to a site which can't provide the download within a reasonable time? Is there no alternative?
:shock: Four Hours !
Freakin hell

Well i just went there and downloaded it (via wget) in just under 14 minutes.

I did notice that the download speed was bouncing up & down like a jack in the box,
going anywhere from between 10K/s and 755K/s (averaging 125.13 KB/s)

All i can suggest is, if you are in Puppy use wget to download it,
if you go into the directory to which you want to download to, then open a terminal there (Right click > Window > Terminal Here)
and enter the following command:

Code: Select all

wget -c ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/quirky/quirky-008/quirky-008.iso
that should do the trick.

Then if for any reason you get cut off, re-run that command from the same directory
and wget will pick up where it left off.

Don't forget to check the md5sum when the download has finished,
in the same terminal window you have open, enter the following command:

md5sum quirky-008.iso
You should get this:

# md5sum quirky-008.iso
95051cc04b3204e2650a60de01e094b9  quirky-008.iso
# 
Hope that helps
CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

James C

#5 Post by James C »

I just downloaded the latest Quirky as well...............just a few seconds over 10 minutes.Often download speeds will vary greatly depending on server load.

ibiblio

#6 Post by 3133 »

Thanks for all your suggestions, folks. Tried ibiblio once again last night and left the machine running. Wget cycled through the six addresses as they timed out one after the other, finally giving up after five and a half hours.
Upnorth: I had been looking in in the wrong place in nluug (under puppylinux) not realising that quirky had a separate entry. I collared the download in a shade over two minutes.
Thanks again.
Puppy User since Ver 0.4