How2 Launch apps. of other HD os' by command line from Puppy

Booting, installing, newbie
Mitchellray

How2 Launch apps. of other HD os' by command line from Puppy

#1 Post by Mitchellray »

Hello,
When I am booted to Puppy on the same partition as Slackware 12, I am able to launch Slacware's installed apps. such as Firefox by using the symlinks. I am even able to copy/place a symlink on the Puppy desktop and launch the Firefox that way.
However, I have not been able to launch any of Slackware's installed apps. while in Puppy by using command line. I recieve return command not found or no file found.
I tried issuing sh thinking that that somehow changes the shell? and might work, but to no avail.
Any suggestions on how to do this operation?
Mitchellray

Mitchellray

How2 Launch cont'd. additional

#2 Post by Mitchellray »

Hello,
I have tried issuing 'firefox' or also '/bin/firefox' or '/sbin/firefox'.
The command 'firefox' launches when booted in Slackware.
Mitchellray

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

Slackware's installed apps won't be in the Puppy $PATH. So you either need to launch them with their full path (I guess something like this `/mnt/sda1/usr/bin/firefox`), or add the Slackware bin directories to Puppy's $PATH variable.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Mitchellray

How2 launch other os' apps command line

#4 Post by Mitchellray »

Hello disciple,
I have tried both using full path and also changing directories and invoking just firefox and as much as the full path name.
So far there is something missing.
I wonder if accessing from a different shell than the shell Slackware 12 utilizes has anything to do with it. I can only guess.
Mitchellray

jpeps

#5 Post by jpeps »

I'm guessing that non-working apps need to be recompiled so that symlinks, etc, are correct. Static apps (self contained ) would have a better chance of working, but even then no guarantee.

William (Dthdealer)

#6 Post by William (Dthdealer) »

Gentoo documentation rocks

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Chroot_from_a_livecd

The command options from here allow you to literally enter the system from within Puppy if Puppy is installed somewhere else. Chroot I believe stands for 'change root filesystem' ( don't trust me however ) and allows you to enter another local installation of Linux within a terminal.

I tried using this a while ago in Puppy, but I couldn't execute anything because I chrooted into a 64-bit installation with 64-bit executables and libraries ( Puppy is AFAIK only available in 32 bit unless you compile the kernel yourself ).

If you have already access to your slackware installation as you say this probably isn't useful.

Code: Select all

'foobar' can be anything as long as it is consistent throughout this
'XXX' is the name of the partition where the linux installation you wish to enter
is located (eg sda2 or hda1)

# mount /dev/XXX /mnt/foobar
# mount -t proc none /mnt/foobar/proc
# mount -o bind /dev /mnt/foobar/dev
# chroot /mnt/foobar /bin/bash 
# env-update 
# source /etc/profile 
# export PS1="(chroot) $PS1" 

Mitchellray

H2L cont'd.

#7 Post by Mitchellray »

Hello jpeps et. al.,
The partition is mounted automatically when Puppy boots in this instance.
I am able to copy symlinks to my Puppy desktop and those links launch their intended applications, such as Firefox.
I am not, however, able to launch the very same application by commandline when I cd into the directory or paths that contain those same symlinks.
I have tried invoking the commands that I would use from within the os, in this case Slackware 12, and which in the case of Firefox, is merely 'firefox'. I have also tried /bin/firefox and /sbin/firefox.
Mitchellray

jpeps

#8 Post by jpeps »

Are permissions correct?

Mitchellray

cont'd.

#9 Post by Mitchellray »

jpeps,
I am able to launch the Firefox app. (in the Slackware os directory) from Puppy by clicking my way through the directories displayed by Puppy's Rox-filer until I get to the Firefox symlink.
I just click on that symlink and Firefox opens.
I have copied that symlink to my Puppy desktop and when I click on it, Firefox launches.

What I am not doing, nor have I discovered yet how to do, is log in to the Slackware os from the Puppy environment. And maybe that is what must be done in order to invoke commands by command line for that system.

So, I am not certain about the permissions other than that I know that users are not restricted on Firefox from executing. However, I am probably not an official 'user' if I am not executing a login.
Mitchellray

murmelbahn

#10 Post by murmelbahn »

Could it be that

Code: Select all

./bin/firefox
(dot slash) does the trick?

JR

jpeps

Re: cont'd.

#11 Post by jpeps »

Mitchellray wrote:jpeps,

So, I am not certain about the permissions other than that I know that users are not restricted on Firefox from executing. However, I am probably not an official 'user' if I am not executing a login.
Mitchellray
check with "ls -l" Curious what happens if you "chown root:root"

nooby

#12 Post by nooby »

I have a SuperOS ubuntu on same HDD as all my puppies.

that SuperOS has a Firefox that is better than most other FF I have encountered.

Can I use puppy to make a copy of it and run it from puppy?

Maybe using Dpup or Upup if there are dependencies that are different from puppy?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

disciple

#13 Post by disciple »

Nooby, when you have a completely different question, please ask it in a new thread.
The answer is not really. But assuming it doesn't have a whole lot of evil Ubuntu dependencies you should be able to manually download the Ubuntu firefox package from their repository and try it.

----------------------

Guys, if you can run it by clicking on it I can't see how the permissions could be a problem. I suspect you'll find that murmelbahn is right.

But if you really want to be able to run your Slackware programs from the command line you need to figure out how to do chroot like William suggests, or you need to add the Slackware bin and lib paths etc to your Puppy environment variables. I think the latter option could cause problems... but I imagine you could just use a quick script which adds them temporarily, while you run the program. So to start some Slackware program you would run something like `start_slackware_program.sh some_slackware_program`.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Mitchellray

c

#14 Post by Mitchellray »

Hello,
./bin/firefox did not work for me.
I tried issuing the command from various directories along the path.

I will probably have to search through the Slackware documentation to learn how to do a remote login in order to launch the kde konsole, which I believe opens to bourne shell.

It is curious that the symlink works from the Puppy desktop.

Regarding chroot, I am not sure how that works, whether it is temporary or permanent until changed again or what purpose.
Thanks all.
Mitchellray

jpeps

#15 Post by jpeps »

disciple wrote: Guys, if you can run it by clicking on it I can't see how the permissions could be a problem. I suspect you'll find that murmelbahn is right.
Me neither...and yet it works from Rox, so I was wondering if Rox somehow overrides permissions...just shooting in the dark here, cause I can't replicate the issue. ("./" would only be an issue if he didn't try the complete path..which he did).

edit: I could replicate by being in a non-root shell in the terminal