Puppy stopped booting after ALL PARTITIONS DELETED

Using applications, configuring, problems
groogruxking40

Puppy stopped booting after ALL PARTITIONS DELETED

#1 Post by groogruxking40 »

So my dad comes to me the other day and tells me his Puppy won't boot.
I installed the newest version, and he was having problems with his wireless.. it was working fine and then just stopped one day.

So he wanted to install a fresh copy, but what he did that he never told me was he went to the partition manager and deleted everything..

now it won't even boot.. I'm getting the black screen and says LOADING GRUB FAILED.

Any ideas on how I can get Puppy back on this machine?? I still have the .iso I burned and even that doesn't work right now

HELP ME PLEASE.

jemimah

#2 Post by jemimah »

You should be able to boot from the CD even if the drive is totally toasted. Do you get an error message at all?

rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

I still have the .iso I burned and even that doesn't work right now
Since everything on the hard drive has been blown away, your only alternative is to start with a working boot CD of something. There is a program called testdisk that tries to recover lost partitions. If you could get Puppy running off its Live CD, it might be helpful.

Is your CD not working because of a BIOS boot order issue?

groogruxking40

#4 Post by groogruxking40 »

jemimah wrote:You should be able to boot from the CD even if the drive is totally toasted. Do you get an error message at all?
I put in Puppy 4.3.1 or whatever the latest is..
changed boot device priority to my external burner 1st, HD 2nd

got this error upon reboot:

GRUB Loading stage 1.5

GRUB loading, please wait...
Error 22

any ideas?

groogruxking40

#5 Post by groogruxking40 »

rcrsn51 wrote:

Is your CD not working because of a BIOS boot order issue?
No, the external burner with the CD ISO is 1st and HD is 2nd for priority order.. still nothing

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

Since you are getting a GRUB error off a boot CD, it sounds like this not an original Puppy CD but some kind of remaster.

Error 22 means "Partition not found". When GRUB comes up do you get a chance to see the menu? If so, press the "e" key and report back with the menu entry.

groogruxking40

#7 Post by groogruxking40 »

rcrsn51 wrote:Since you are getting a GRUB error off a boot CD, it sounds like this not an original Puppy CD but some kind of remaster.

Error 22 means "Partition not found". When GRUB comes up do you get a chance to see the menu? If so, press the "e" key and report back with the menu entry.
no menu, just black screen with the words

GRUB loading, please wait...
Error 22

so I need to burn an original of puppy and then she should boot?

groogruxking40

update

#8 Post by groogruxking40 »

so I burned a new .iso and I'm getting the exact same error

rcrsn51

#9 Post by rcrsn51 »

Then you aren't actually booting off the CD. The error message is coming from the remnants of GRUB on the hard drive.

groogruxking40

#10 Post by groogruxking40 »

rcrsn51 wrote:Then you aren't actually booting off the CD. The error message is coming from the remnants of GRUB on the hard drive.
how do I get the CD to boot?
I have the external dvd burner w/ the .iso as #1 in boot priority.. so you're saying it's skipping the DVD burner and going straight to the HD?

I really need to get this up and running tonight.. thank you for any help

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#11 Post by Flash »

Try booting the CD with the boot option puppy pfix=ram. For some reason your computer is still trying to boot from the hard disk. That's the only way it would be giving you a Grub error.
Last edited by Flash on Mon 19 Apr 2010, 00:36, edited 2 times in total.

groogruxking40

#12 Post by groogruxking40 »

Flash wrote:Try booting the CD with the boot option puppy pfix=ram. For some reason your computer is still trying to boot from the hard disk. That's the only way it would be giving you a Grub error.
it's my dvd burner.. I disabled the HD boot and only had the external dvd burner as the only option.. it's loading, but super super slow--

will update shortly

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#13 Post by Flash »

Your external DVD burner probably plugs into a USB port. To boot from it, your computer's BIOS would need to be capable of booting from USB. That's why it's going to the hard disk, which evidently still has the first sector intact.

groogruxking40

#14 Post by groogruxking40 »

Flash wrote:Your external DVD burner probably plugs into a USB port. To boot from it, your computer's BIOS would need to be capable of booting from USB. That's why it's going to the hard disk, which evidently still has the first sector intact.
yes the dvd burner plugs into a USB port. How do I know if my BIOS can boot from USB? this is so frustrating.

groogruxking40

#15 Post by groogruxking40 »

the computer is a netbook an eeepc ASUS 701

rcrsn51

#16 Post by rcrsn51 »

A modern unit like a netbook should be able to boot from a USB optical drive. On my netbook, I don't have to enter the BIOS to set the boot priority. There is a startup option that lets me select from the available bootable devices.

Have you tried the disk on another machine to verify that it burned OK?

groogruxking40

#17 Post by groogruxking40 »

rcrsn51 wrote:Since you are getting a GRUB error off a boot CD, it sounds like this not an original Puppy CD but some kind of remaster.

getting this error now

Kernel panice - not synching: VFS: Unable to mount roof fs on unknown-block(8,18)

rcrsn51

#18 Post by rcrsn51 »

Are you now booting off the CD? How did you get it to work?

groogruxking40

#19 Post by groogruxking40 »

rcrsn51 wrote:Are you now booting off the CD? How did you get it to work?
it's my stupid dvd burner.. it suppose to be a 52x, but it just keeps spinning and spinning, and sometimes it works, other times its just really slow and then times out

rcrsn51

#20 Post by rcrsn51 »

That would explain your error message. It isn't reading the disk well enough to start Puppy.

Did you also use it to burn the disk?